User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #181
THogland
Back in Alaska!

Oddometer: 53
This is great!

I'm actually recognizing places now that you're in Alaska!

You've discovered the way to tell when it's summer - it rains. When it's not summer, it snows. Oh, and if there's road construction it's summer.

Thanks for all the pics - I've been gone since just after Thanksgiving, and it's nice to see pics of home Only ten more days or so, though, then I can get out of these 90 degree Arkansas temps and get back to the snow in my yard

Tom
THogland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #182
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
And a pic of all of our junk we hauled with us.

You did quite well. Most trips I'll carry that much junk equipment just for myself.

An excellent rr. Despite having traveled most of those highways several times myself, it is like doing it all for the first time, thanks to your skillful presentation.

Your wife is certainly a trouper, a quality that should never be taken for granted. I'm sure you realize what a fortunate man you are.

Looking forward to the rest of the report.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #183
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
You really should type a list of all that junk so we know what you brought. What you found useful and what didnt work.

please
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #184
NikkiGLow
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Jordan, loving you report, man, what memories you and your wife have made that will bind you guys even closer for the years to come, or at least until your TAT ride!

I'd like to hear Nikki's comments on the gear she wore/used. What kind? Dislikes? What she burned in the campfire cuz it was no good.. etc.

My wife and I will be doing our first trip and finding good reviews for women's gear is very hard to find!!

Thanks!!
Basher

Hey basher (and wife) ,

I wear the Kilimanjaro 5.0 jacket by First Gear. For my over-pants I have the Mercury 2.0 by Fieldsheer. My heated vest is made by Tourmaster. My glove selection was a mixture of leather work gloves, my snowboard mittens, and some rain covers. Boots, I am from Texas, I wore cowboy boots, duh . Seriously though, I did. I had a pair of rain covers for those as well.

My suggestions:

Ditch all of the waterproof cover junk. It was always a pain to have to stop (especially in a wet climate) and put on the rain covers, and they fit horribly. Probably because they are cut for a man, like most generic stuff. After we got back from the trip, I got a pair of Alpinestar Scout boots, haven't used them a ton, but they are waterproof, and Jordan says, "they offer actual protection." Whatever... They are cute.

The jacket was probably the best piece of gear that I have. My complaints would be that the 3/4 length is very tight at my hips, probably caused by the additional armor from the overpants, and/or the fact that the pants are probably too big...

The pants: We bought a couple pairs of these on the internet. They came in women's and men's sizes. We tried the women's, but the ones that fit in the waist were about 4" too short, and I am not very tall by any means. We ended up with a men's pair that are huge in the waist, but long enough. This was probably the 4th pair we had tried, and I was sick of it, so we kept them. The tag, and all the info online about the pants said they were waterproof, but they aren't. Jordan has the same pair, and although they kept us dry in the endless Alaskan drizzle, when tested with real rain, we found out that they soak through pretty quickly. I would definitely try to find a "real" store to try on gear. The sizing was all over the place on that stuff. And a note woman to woman: If you are like me, you may worry about the fit a lot at first, and it may make you feel self conscious and goofy. But after one good cold day, you will be so grateful to have it that you won't even care anymore.

The vest: Loved it! Absolutely necessary (IMO) for cold climates. When I had it turned on the highest setting for extended periods, it would kick off from time to time, maybe this is a safety feature . But the fit was excellent. Super comfortable and easy to use. The only that would be better would be a full liner (with sleeves), but really, the vest was sufficient.

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Y'all are certainly increasing my leverage.

Nikki
NikkiGLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #185
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Great report fellow Texans.
Awesome pics......awesome write-up.......awesome folks.....awesome job by the Wee............did I say awesome?
This RR is definitely an inspiration to a bunch of folks. I know it is to me.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #186
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
There is better gear for women out there now

Like Olympia and Rev'It..just fyi!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #187
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally quoted by NikkiGlow:

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Y'all are certainly increasing my leverage.
Best quote of the thread...
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #188
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Homer, AK to Glennallen, AK

Day 18 – June 17, 2010
Mileage Today: 420
Total Trip Mileage: 6,209

The weather looks fair when get up and head for some breakfast. The little paper map that we got from the tourism center in Homer shows a bakery just down the street from us. We head there.

Two Sisters Bakery:

This was one of the best places we had breakfast at. When we were finished, we walked down to the shore (directly behind the bakery) with the sun starting to peek out.

It looks like we will catch a break today. Figure we ought to go back out to the spit and have a proper look around.

Heading down the spit:

We walked around and took pictures.

\\

Tried to be artsy.

Still a bit early for a drink.

We leave the spit after a bit and start working our way back up towards Anchorage, following the Sterling Hwy.

We make a stop at Anchor Point.

There were so many bald eagles in this area. Kinda surreal seeing something in person, that you have only otherwise seen pictures or depictions of on U.S. currency.

Crummy pic:

I had mentioned earlier about how dogs are attracted to Nikki. Here is a classic example: We are seemingly in an uninhabited section of coast line, when look who starts moseying over...

Sniffs out a vibe...

Still somewhat apprehensive...

Everything sniffs out OK. Time for a full on belly rub.

Back on the Sterling Hwy. Taking some pics that we didn't take on the way in.

We pass through Anchorage (again without stopping) and continue East on the Glenn Highway.

Up until now Alaska had sort of failed to meet expectations. Not that we haven’t seen spectacular scenery, cool towns, harsh environments, etc… But it was all lacking this Grand-ness that you expect. It probably had a lot to do with the weather in certain areas, covering the scenery and taking the depth away. Does that make sense? That really changed right outside Palmer.

(disclaimer: pictures fail at accurately capturing)

Stopping to take out the big camera.

We are in no hurry whatsoever today. The weather is very nice, the scenery is awesome. We drive a bit, stop, take pics, and continue on. We will find a place to camp when we get tired.

Matanuska Glacier:

We were even missing the rain today! Is it a double rainbow? nah.

We found a nice campground in GlennAllen, and setup shop.

Cooked up some dinner on the stove and had a great nights sleep. It was a pretty high mileage day for us, but we kept such a relaxed pace (and with the super long days up here) that we never felt rushed. I had made a note that we got over 50 mpg coming up from Anchorage to here. I was pretty impressed with that, considering our load.

Tomorrow we continue our leisurely trot East. We have a couple of days to reach Haines, AK where we will board our ferry that will bring us back to the lower 48.

Jordan

jglow screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 10:41 AM
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #189
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,710
Nikki, thanks for the advice! And yes we have found the sizes are all over the place, especially for petite. My wife is 4'11" 110lbs, she's tiny, so I just don't know how we are going to get around the trial and error method. We don't have a good shop around here with good variety of womens gear.... And I don't think companies size their gear with real people, must be either a girly man they use or a mannequin of disproportionate size.

Don't what to hi-jack your RR, but my wife and I appreciate your feedback on gear!!

Thanks again... and enjoy!

Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiGLow View Post

Hey basher (and wife) ,

I wear the Kilimanjaro 5.0 jacket by First Gear. For my over-pants I have the Mercury 2.0 by Fieldsheer. My heated vest is made by Tourmaster. My glove selection was a mixture of leather work gloves, my snowboard mittens, and some rain covers. Boots, I am from Texas, I wore cowboy boots, duh . Seriously though, I did. I had a pair of rain covers for those as well.

My suggestions:

Ditch all of the waterproof cover junk. It was always a pain to have to stop (especially in a wet climate) and put on the rain covers, and they fit horribly. Probably because they are cut for a man, like most generic stuff. After we got back from the trip, I got a pair of Alpinestar Scout boots, haven't used them a ton, but they are waterproof, and Jordan says, "they offer actual protection." Whatever... They are cute.

Nikki

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #190
MK160
Dust in the Wind

Oddometer: 114

If this is not y'alls desktop picture, someone needs to be whooped....

MK160
Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #191
wudkayaker
Wanderlust

Oddometer: 45
I've loved reading your ride report. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I'm sure you mentioned this somewhere previously and I missed it. What do you keep in the yellow pelican case? Easy access to the camera equipment?
Airhead #11699
bmwairhead.tumblr.com
wudkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #192
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Gelnnallen, AK to Tok, AK

Day 19 - June 18, 2010
Mileage Today: 147
Total Trip Mileage: 6,356

We had a really short day today. We just wanted to get to Tok, find a nice campground, and do a little laundry, some bike maintenance, and relax a bit.

Heading out of Glennallen:

You remember I said earlier that Alaska doesn't concern itself with stupid laws and what not. Perfect example here. If this sign was anywhere else it would probably read, "No Shooting",

... but since we are in Alaska they simply ask that you shoot your 12 gauge rifles from somewhere other than the road. Hell, you don't even have to get out of your vehicle, just drive that sucker down into the ditch and start firing!

We made it into Tok in no time. We stopped at the tourism center place and had a look around.

Probably want to go ahead and add those to the list of things Nikki is afraid of. (The wolves, not the tourism centers - unless they have pit toilets, then maybe those too.)

We located the potential campgrounds and left to go check them out. In the parking lot we got waived over to see if we could help these fellas out.

These guys were from South Korea. They were pedaling their bikes from Deadhorse to the Southern tip of Argentina. The trip was suppose to take 15 months . Anyhow, apparently one of their pedals had sheered off. Somehow they procured a new part but were having trouble installing it. I think they need a really large allen wrench, or something like that. I forget what it was, but I had it. They worked on it for a while, but they couldn't get the new part threaded on. I think there was some issue of a metric thread vs a non-metric thread. After a few more minutes, they had satisfactorily cross-threaded the new part in, and that was good enough for them. I was glad I was able to help . I bet he didn't get out of town before the pedal fell off again.

Then it was back to locating our campground for the day. We picked the one that was a bit off of the main drag, and it was awesome. Totally empty, and it stayed that way. The first matter to attend to was the chain.

I started noticing that as we would be slowing down, like we were entering a town, the chain would make a sorta crunchy sound every rotation and there was a bit of a vibe that I could feel through the handle bars. I had first noticed a much milder form of this when we had gotten to Fairbanks. I fixed it by not paying any attention to it, and loosing the chain. Well, now it was time to try and fix it, or at least loosen it some more so that I couldn't hear it . I am telling you guys, "out of sight, out of mind". So, I went to the local Napa that they had in town, and got some WD-40, 90wt gear oil, and a ton of rags. I figured I would clean the hell out of it, drown it in oil, and wear ear plugs.

I got busy why Nikki fixed lunch:

I did all I could/was going to do to the chain. Then we went and set-up camp.

Then Nikki went to do some laundry while I went and talked to this sorta vagabond/drunk/chainsaw art carver/cowboy poet who wrote versus about Alaska - Dude for a while . He was really nice though, and he was hoping to get down to Homer by the prime summer tourist time so he could sell some of his bears that he had carved up. Probably had a tough time doing that given the fact that he looked a bit sinister and was carrying a chain saw - I wouldn't of picked him up .

Then I went off to find little Suzie Home Maker.

Our super furry butt pads had become a bit matted down, so Nikki sacrificed her hair brush for the good of the trip. Brushed them out, and they were just like new!

Then we got showered up for a big night out on the town.

Not really though, we were just going to go back to Fast Eddy's for some dinner. Which we did, and it was great! We managed not to leave any personal documents in the parking lot this time either. Then we headed back to camp and had an early night.

Tomorrow we have another pretty easy day. We will be crossing back into Canada, and headed to Haines Junction, Yukon.

Jordan
Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #193
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudkayaker View Post
I've loved reading your ride report. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I'm sure you mentioned this somewhere previously and I missed it. What do you keep in the yellow pelican case? Easy access to the camera equipment?

Thanks! Yep, your right on about the purpose of the pelican case. I know it was mounted pretty Beverley Hillbilly's style with it stacked on top of the JC Whitney case but it worked perfectly. I mounted it using a quick release, step-in snow board boot binding bracket. I did the same thing on my wrr and took pics. This is the same way the pelican is mounted to the JC Whitney box.

And totally secure:

Jordan
Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #194
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Left and right bicycle peddles have different threads. One has clockwise threads and the other have counter-clockwise threads. Therefore, you can buy a pair of peddles but they won't fit if you try to place the left onto the right side and the right to the left side.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #195
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,037
Except if your from South Korea then you have to reverse it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad View Post
Left and right bicycle peddles have different threads. One has clockwise threads and the other have counter-clockwise threads. Therefore, you can buy a pair of peddles but they won't fit if you try to place the left onto the right side and the right to the left side.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote