Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #196
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Pelican mounting

Jordan... nice WR and Pelican

thought I'd share how I mounted my case too, no holes in the case and quickly comes off...

Here's a full write-up on my website:

http://www.basherdesigns.com/2011/03...case-mounting/

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #197
leonphelps
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,026
pretty cool website.....like the MODS section.....
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #198
traindriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Looking for a new tent. What kind is that one you got. And how well did it work in the rain.
traindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #199
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by traindriver View Post
Looking for a new tent. What kind is that one you got. And how well did it work in the rain.

WE have the REI brand, Arete 2 ASL. The inner wall of the tent is solid nylon as opposed to a lot of 3 season tents that have an inner wall constructed of mesh. This solid inner wall is great for cold/windy conditions because it keeps the draft out of the tent. This can be a bit of an issue though when camping in warmer weather (which we didn't have to do too much of). The tent worked perfectly, as far as keeping us warm and dry, but it was definitely a little cramped - especially the storage.

I don't think you can go wrong with any tent these days. I have had friends that bought $28 Coleman tents (or the like) from wal-mart and stayed just as dry as I did. The difference between would probably just be weight and packing size, which is a concern because you will be toting it on your bike.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #200
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
MSR Mutha Hubba for this trip

We used a Sierra Design on our last trip made for three people but was too cramped. Got the Mutha Hubba for this trip and looks great...has mesh walls, solid top and the fly is waterproofed. Can't tell how it really works as we have not used it yet bit from what we read this is a really good tent for almost all seasons.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #201
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 376
Tok, AK to Haines Junction, YT

Day 20 - June 19, 2010
Mileage Today: 295
Total Trip Mileage: 6,504

We woke up, well rested and ready to move. We stopped on the way out of town for some breakfast.

With full bellies, we hoped back on the Alaska Hwy headed East. This section from Tok East to Haines Junction will be new to us, since we bypassed it when we went up to Dawson City, and took the Top of the World Hwy across.

We encountered a ton of road construction and frost heaves.

We had both become quite comfortable with gravel/grated/rough road surfaces. I determined this by the decreasing amounts of rib punches that I was receiving from Nikki - we had come a long way from South Dakota .

It was also helpful that the weather was cooperating today.

And we continued to eat away at the miles,

and soon crossed back into Canada. It was rather uneventful, so much so that I have no pics.

If you look real hard here, you can see another motorcycle in front of us. This was an older couple on a Goldwing that we met while filling up back in Beaver Creek. They were from Minnesota (or as they pronounced it Mi-n-e-soda ). Anyhow, it seemed as though every person, or couple on a motorcycle , or even traveling period,
that we met were older (or German). I don't mean "older" as a gentle way of saying they were old, I just mean you know, older than us. Nikki is mid 20's, I am upper 20's. Just about everyone else we met was older. Why? Do you have to reach a certain age before you appreciate life, natural beauty. Or is it a money issue? Are we just weird ? Not that age is an issue to us. I think Nikki and I would both rather converse and hang out with these above mentioned "older" folks. We ourselves, live the life of "older" folks. We are quiet, go to sleep early, and treat our pet dog like a human child. Eh, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks, right Willis?

We took a break and had some lunch here:

What a wonderful place to take a break. The mosquitoes weren't too bad either.

Some perspective:

Oh yeah, and that nagging problem...

Well, I guess my WD-40/Gear oil mash-up didn't solve the problem. I had noticed here, the tight spot in the chain was pretty bad. I was/am a relative novice to motorcycles in general, so I didn't (still don't) know the cause of this: If I had the chain set to the correct slack at the tightest part of the chain, it would probably gain almost 2" of additional slack at the loosest. What do ya do? I remember reading that it was always better to run the chain too loose rather than too tight, so I loosened it some more. I figure that I only got a few hundred more miles to go til we get to the ferry, and then when we get to Washington I can address it.

Back on the road after lunch.

Having a little fun along the way...

Coming up on Destruction Bay,

as the road follows the shore line of Kluane Lake.

From here it was a short ride on to Haines Junction, where we snagged a campsite, and had dinner at a burger stand.

Tomorrow we head back into Alaska. The route into Haines probably has some of the most stunning and impressive views of the whole trip.

Jordan

jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #202
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
I've been following your ride from the start very nice job
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=262.0
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #203
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
>"Why? Do you have to reach a certain age before you appreciate life, natural beauty."

Well, have some kids! IMHO it changes a bit of perspective for... 20-30 odd years... doesn't apply to everyone though.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #204
Road Hound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Tok, AK to Haines Junction, YT
If you look real hard here, you can see another motorcycle in front of us. This was an older couple on a Goldwing that we met while filling up back in Beaver Creek. They were from Minnesota (or as they pronounced it Mi-n-e-soda ). Anyhow, it seemed as though every person, or couple on a motorcycle , or even traveling period,
that we met were older (or German). I don't mean "older" as a gentle way of saying they were old, I just mean you know, older than us. Nikki is mid 20's, I am upper 20's. Just about everyone else we met was older. Why? Do you have to reach a certain age before you appreciate life, natural beauty. Or is it a money issue? Are we just weird ? Not that age is an issue to us. I think Nikki and I would both rather converse and hang out with these above mentioned "older" folks. We ourselves, live the life of "older" folks. We are quiet, go to sleep early, and treat our pet dog like a human child. Eh, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks, right Willis?
It just proves that the two of you are wise beyond your years. You have developed an appreciation of the natural beauty of nature that many live their whole lives and never acquire.

Many thanks for sharing your adventure with us with a refreshing openness and honesty that is quite rare in today's world.

Jordan, I think you will find that you are ready for a new chain and a new set of sprockets.

Enjoy the rest of this adventure and I hope you enjoy many more in the future.

Thanks again, I've enjoyed every word and every photo. Your lives will be richer for the time and effort you have devoted to this journey.
Road Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #205
vette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Texas to Alaska

Brings back memories of my kentucky to the Artic Circle trip in july of 2009. Many of your pictures are almost the same ones that i took. I went to Newfoundlland last summer and this year heading for a month long camping/riding trip to the Northwest and everything in between. Enjoyed your trip report very much. CTH
vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #206
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,846
It took me 2 evenings - but I finally read all of your report from beginning to now.

Thank you for a super ride report!

I'm looking forward - like everyone else here, to the rest of it.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #207
s boy
old guys rule!

Oddometer: 60
can't speak for all - but i was fairly adventurous up until my mid 20s also.

then took the next 30 years raising 3 sons and making a living. wouldn't trade those years for anything. but thankfully retired with good health, 55, and ready to resume the adventures.

great rr.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #208
mashrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
super job!! thanks for the ride
Mike
mashrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #209
stric
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Yep hard to find a sitter for 3 kids for a couple of months.

"Don't worry Mom we'll be right back, I just want to take the wife out for super at this funky little restaurant I've heard so much about. It's in Dead Horse Alaska!"

Great rr.

stric screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 01:00 PM
stric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #210
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb Do it when you can!

The wife and I did a 7 week 12,000 mile "lap" of the lower 48 in 1983, "BK" (before kids). We took a surfer/moto van with an XL500 in the back, used the van as a camper, local rides on the bike, total hoot, we still talk about that as THE TRIP almost 30 yrs later.