Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #301
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbs View Post
What a great trip and ride report!

As for your point about "acting" like old people and getting along with older folks, I couldn't agree with you more. I do realize that kids do put a "snag" in peoples travel plans, and they tend to do their travel years later. I'm reading this report in bed and started laughing out loud when you wrote, that you go to bed early and treat your dog like a human!! We are both in our mid 30's and we are the exact same way! We won't be having kids, so our lives will revolve around touring the world on our bike and spoiling our dog like a child!!

-Chris
Yep, our dog has us trained pretty well, but how could you say no? I mean look at this face...

Thanks for following along

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
You are the envy of many men! I am currently riding a 03' Yamaha Fz1 which I have set up for long distance sport touring. My next bike, which will be coming this summer, will be a Wee. You two took an awesome adventure ride and youre so lucky that Nikki is down for that. You have an awesome bike, wife and adventerous spirit. This RR was inspiration for me and my girlfriend and as of today , our next long ride planning begins. I live in Waco,Tx and do many many 3 to 5 day long rides/trips to the Hill Country and surrounding areas. i am currently trying to set up a Big Bend trip this spring before it gets too hot or maybe fall. i would love to meet you guys and do a little riding and touring. Thanks for the RR and please know that YOU ARE A VERY LUCKY MAN!!!!!
Hey there , that is really great to hear. I believe that inspiration is one of the greatest things about this forum and the whole ADV community. Before I found advrider, I don't know for sure if I even knew that it was possible to drive to Alaska . Just a small contribution on my part to keep the cycle going - glad you are following along.

Oh yeah, I know for sure that I got very lucky with Nikki, and her willingness to try just about anything. But now she is starting to get a bit suspicious with everybody telling me I'm so lucky - I guess she just assumed she was obligated to come with. I remember her asking me why all the guys we encountered on the trip were riding alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solorider40 View Post
This is a great ride report, Thank You for doing it. I'm gonna show it to my wife, we've been considering trading my KLR in for a V-strom to ride out west. Hopefully reading this will convince her she'll be ok on a bike smaller than a goldwing
Has she seen a v-strom in real life? The reason I ask is because when I was researching for bikes and whatnot, I kept reading about this 650 v-strom, or as everyone refers to it, a wee-strom. I got it in my head that this was a pretty small bike, but the first time I saw one I was a bit surprised, and truly didn't know if I would be up for dealing with such a big bike. Now granted I was coming off of a couple of smaller cruisers, but still... Having said that, it's not at all hard to handle, and feels quite substantial. You can farkle that thing out pretty good too, and make a mini-goldwing . I know the Wee would comfortably be up to the task!

I've got a couple more days to post. I hate this part, with the trip ending. I get that same sinking feeling in my stomach while I type this up, as I got when the trip was ending...

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #302
mnnden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
[
I've got a couple more days to post. I hate this part, with the trip ending. I get that same sinking feeling in my stomach while I type this up, as I got when the trip was ending...

Jordan
[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Trip is ending, I think it is just beginning, Motorcycle "Trip'n" is addicting and I think we will be seeing more of your adventures, by the way, GREAT report!!! one of the best, Thanks, mnn

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most .
mnnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #303
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
my new background image, thank you so much for the visuals and the story!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #304
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
So maybe it wasn't my fault after all

jordan
This RR takes me to a far away place everytime I read! You are a skillfull writer and should be a traveling columnist for one of the ADVenture mags! Oh yeah,.....Does your wife have a (single sister) that likes to ride for months at a time ?
whittrated03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 AM   #305
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
I read in here that so many of you long to have partners who share the passion of ADV riding. I guess we are very lucky over here because the two of us not only share the passion, we love riding our own bikes and while my partner has many strengths to make our trips safe and we actually get where it is we want to go...I balance her out with my own "strengths" which makes for a great experience each time we head out.

I hope you all find that someone or can convince the one you are with to explore with you because it is so amazing to experience the ups and downs with someone you care about.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #306
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian RA40XT View Post
This picture is a little bit like "Where is Waldo" ...
Really a nice idea from you to hide youre wife somewhere in the picture.
I dropped one of my bikes ONE time and it was $1200 in damage....another reason to buy a Wee Strom!
whittrated03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #307
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Moab, UT to Albuquerque, NM

Day 33 - July 2, 2010
Mileage Today: 411
Total Trip Mileage: 9,821

We broke down camp and headed back into town to grab some breakfast. We got some breakfast at the Moab Diner and then headed South out of town.

We picked up another Hwy heading East in Bluff...

And crossed over into Colorado.

From here we decided that since we were so close to the Four Corners Monument we would go check it out.

Cutting diagonally down, back towards the Four Corners:

We arrived at the Four Corners to find this:

A very unproductive/inactive work-site. But luckily we did find this nice painted plywood sign that explained the area that we were forbidden access to.

Oh well... I heard this monument is actually located a few miles in the wrong direction of the actual meeting of the four corners.

We did however pick up some more state signs to add to the collection:

And then headed down to pick-up I-40. Outside Albuquerque, NM there was a huge accident which had the Hwy shut down. This was the first time I had been in such an extended traffic jam on the bike with it loaded the way it was. I can now totally understand the desire for lane-splitting. It was taxing to keep the bike balanced while not trying to outrun molasses.

Anyhow, we made it through the carnage and into Albuquerque proper.

Where we called it quits relatively early, and snagged this ultra-modern Motel 6.

And were treated to a slightly entertaining domestic disturbance next door. But it was over soon enough and we were forced to entertain ourselves with basic cable offerings. We had a comfortable climate controlled night, and planned on hauling out early to get down to Roswell, NM as they were having a 4th of July alien festival.

Jordan
Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #308
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Great read

Excellent report, it was fun seeing a few of the areas Ive been to in your pictures including our Northwest. I have to admit I spent way too much time reading this in the office, in fact my 10 hour day allowed me to finish the RR in between annoying bits of pesky work. I need to use these pictures to inspire my Fiance to do some more riding! Looking forward to alien pictures as well.
frdbronco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #309
orbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
You 2 are having too much fun. Please save a little for the rest of us.

My wife comes with me on most of the long rides I do. The secret to her continuing to come along is making the trip enjoyable. Lots to see helps, plus stopping to enjoy areas you are visiting.
Sometimes when we stop for fuel, someone will talk our ear off so much that we have to take turns talking to them. I will fill up the bike and then move it away from the pump (hopefully to the shade) and be talking to someone while she uses the restroom. Then she will talk to them while I use the restroom. Many people are either curious and or jealous of the ride you are doing.

I enjoy having my wife along on a motorcycle trip to share and enjoy the sights together. We wear 1/2 helmets, so we can talk over my shoulder. (also do a lot of pointing. Sometimes we will have a contest to see who can see the 4 legged animals first and how many.

Thanks for the RR, KEN
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #310
Cdc28p
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks for the fantastic report. I'm only a few years older than you guys and I have always dreamed of doing such a trip with my wife. But then our daughter came, and it's getting tough to travel. Perhaps we fit a car seat where the top case is now. :)

Nikki definitely brightens up your photos. And get her a Kindle so you don't have to lug around all those hardcovers. What did she read anyway? I'm an avid reader and love seeing other people so into reading.
Cdc28p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #311
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 558
Thanks for the great RR guys, thanks for taking the extra time to share this wonderful ride. Cheers!
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #312
timmie415
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 88
Keeping up the excellent writing...

My favorite quote:
"Let me try to explain...

Imagine the most perfect weather you can recall. Mild, but still warm, sunny sky with wisps of white clouds. Kinda like that guy from the PBS art show (the one with the afro-hair) used to make in his paintings.
"

I love watching Bob Ross, he cracks me up.
You have a great way of telling a story Jordan. I look forward to the end of this one and the TAT report when it happens.

If you make it out to the bay area I have a couple of cold ones to offer you.

-tim
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #313
Burbs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I'm really liking your idea of having you two in the photo of each state sign. I may have to "borrow" that idea oppose to my boring "take the picture of just the sign" that I usually do.

-Chris
Old 05-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #314
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 479
Thanks for this great ride report, it brings back some great memories of my trip in 09. We have the same taste in bikes!

Ironheadziggy76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #315
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Albuquerque, NM to Post, TX

Day 34 - July 3, 2010
Mileage Today: 395
Total Trip Mileage: 9,805

We got up and out of our motel room, stopped by the Del Taco (or Taco Del - something ), and headed out of Albuquerque. It wasn't long before we got into the flatness that would accompany us the remaining hundreds of miles home.

We are headed down to Roswell, NM today, as they are having some sort of alien/forth of july celebration. It's on the route back home so what the heck?

Coming into town, it is obvious that the local economy thrives on this sort of thing.

We found the main drag where the parade and all the other happenings were to happen, and ditched the bike with the gear. It was really hot, which may have had a heavy influence on my opinion of their celebration, but it was pretty lame. Yes, we were probably sour about the trip being (basically) over, but your lively hood, your local economy is based on Aliens, and this is what you are bringing to the table?

It's got to get better right?

Well that's cool, at least he is on a bike... But I am sure they are saving the best for last, let's see...

Well, that was a bust for us. We had kinda planned on this being a big deal and taking most of the day, but it just wasn't and we decided to push on East for home. This was officially the point where the tunnel vision begins, and all you want to do now is get home.

Heading East:

The weather looks threatening as we head out of New Mexico.

We stop at a rest stop to put on our rain gear, and make a soggy entrance back into TEXAS .

Apparently it had been raining in West Texas for quite a while (days) and it didn't seem like it would be ending today. We pushed on for a couple of hours in the rain, and by the time we stopped we had total confirmation that our riding gear (labeled waterproof) was totally not waterproof. Weather-wise, it seemed about par for this trip to have very odd weather. We went to Alaska in June (when it is colder) because the consensus is that it’s drier - it wasn’t. We spend a week in the Pacific Northwest (commonly referred to as the Pacific NorthWet) and it never rained. And now while in West Texas, where they average 8” (inches) of rain a year, they have received upwards of 6” in the past few days.

We find a motel to stop at in Post, TX. *A quick observation about Post, TX (and probably similar West Texas towns). This place reeks terribly of oil. It hangs in the air, creeps into all the buildings, and saturates everything with a stench. Now, I realize that the odor may equate to $$money$$, but I would sure hate to live there. It seems impossible that you could live their your whole life without getting some terrible lung disease, but I digress…

So, we stay in the motel and crank the A/C all the way up so it runs constantly, and hopefully filters some of the air. We go to sleep while listening to the never ending rain and thunder all night...

Post, TX to HOME

Day 35 - July 4, 2010
Mileage Today: 311
Total Trip Mileage: 10,116

We are awakened the next morning by some huge booms of thunder, shortly followed by Tornado sirens . Naturally, I look outside for a tornado, but there is not one to be seen. However, I was quite shocked by what I did find...

Yeah, it rained all night, and as best I could tell, the tornado sirens were going off because of flash flooding.(?) I talked to a couple other folks in the motel, and they had some intel about roads closed, or going to be closed, etc... I decided we had to move. I think I'd prefer to drown trying to escape Post, TX rather than blacken my lungs any longer with the oil & swill that hung in the air.

We loaded up for a soggy evacuation.

There was certainly some water over the roads, but we couldn't be burdened by cautious attitudes to not drive directly through flooded roadways - those rules only apply to cars .

After about 180 miles or so we finally got out of the rain, and into the sun. Within a couple of hours we were back in our town,

on our road,

and back at our house! :cra sh

We had made it. 35 days on the road, and a little over 10,000 miles. Not wanting it to be over, we sat outside and reflected on where we had been and what we had done. I for one never truly expected to ever see my V-strom sitting back at our house. I don't know why - I just sorta figured it was sacrificial almost. I thought surely I would kill the bike, hit a bear, get hit by a moose, or simply just wreck it. I was glad to be wrong about that.

We went inside and were immediately greeted with the evidence that "real-life" continues while you are away:

It would take several weeks for Nikki and I to get re-acclimated to real life and reinsert ourselves into the grind. It was tough. We had experienced so much true freedom of choice and direction over the past month. Epic scenery, vast distances, and now everything seemed gray and boring. That faded after a while, and we regained proper perspective on life and the position traveling and trips should take within that. I knew at the beginning that I had an awesome riding partner and an even more incredible wife, and that has all been heavily reinforced by y'alls (adv readers) replies. Thanks for following along and allowing us to relive this trip.

Jordan