Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #391
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
You could always use a pillow as a seat pad. I did something like that when I ran out of straps.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #392
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
we use Canadian Tire memory foam pillows...they pack very small and actually work! FWIW
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #393
xcgates
Whaaa?

Some day I'm going to have to find myself a Canadian Tire. Looks like it's got a bit of everything. My kind of place.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #394
soph9
Bike Addict

Target or Walmart will have them...go to the camping section....you might be surprised
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #395
xcgates
Whaaa?

It's not the distinct item, it's the random references I hear about it. In other words, I'm making it a destination the next time I'm near our (the royal our) frozen bretheren.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #396
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
It's not the distinct item, it's the random references I hear about it. In other words, I'm making it a destination the next time I'm near our (the royal our) frozen bretheren.
gotcha!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #397
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post

Plus the fact that it's called "Canadian Tire" --- who would have guessed they had anything other than tires?

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #398
ocived
ocived

Oddometer: 13
k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Carmacks, YT to Dawson City, YT

Day 12 – June 11, 2010
Mileage Today: 240
Total Trip Mileage: 4,298

The sun was out this morning when we got up (i suppose it never really set at this point). We stayed at the Coal River Campground last night which sits right on the Yukon River at the Junction of the Klondike and Campbell Hwys. At The Coal Mine campground they have an adjacent little walk-up burger stand thing which also serves breakfast. This is super nice because some mornings you just don’t feel like pulling out the stove (waking everybody up at ignition), breaking it down, and cleaning it all up, just to make some coffee. We simply walk over and get some coffee and breakfast. We had a couple of “Klondike Quickie” sandwiches, and they were delicious – bacon, egg, cheese, mayo, and a fresh roll. Best thing yet for breakfast!

So, one of the hardest things on the list of "Things Nikki has to deal with" for this trip was leaving our dog, Bowser, at home.

Let's go ahead and document this list so far.
1. Bears
2. Cold
3. Gravel
4. Leaving Bowser
5. Pit toilets (we haven't discussed this yet, but trust me - big deal! )

Indulge me for a moment if you will...

Bowser:

We may treat him a bit more like a human than most do their dogs...

But c'mon, look at him,

could you leave this guy at home? This is what he does to us when we try to leave him. This picture is of when we were loading the car to go on a trip out West. Bowser couldn't go.

So, that being said. Whenever we are traveling it never fails that all the random dogs we come across find Nikki, or Nikki finds them.

Which is nice, but then it makes you remember that you left your dog at home, and what if he misses you as much as you miss him. Has he been staring out the window for 2 weeks waiting for you to come home?

If it wasn't for the dog, we may still me on the road .

Anyway... We head back out onto the Klondike Hwy towards Dawson City.

Over the Yukon River at Five Finger Rapids (you probably cross this river 1,000 times before your trip is over).

A quick stop next to some Urban Hieroglyphics:

Virtually no traffic for us.

I really appreciate the areas where the road is cleared a good 20-30 ft on both sides. It makes you feel like you can spot any wildlife that may come onto the roadway, and give you plenty of time to react. Not that you will, but maybe .

Passing the time to Dawson City - Q: How do you get skittles into your mouth with a full face helmet and mittens on?

A: Very Carefully!

We made it to Dawson City pretty quickly. That is why I love kilometers - they go by so much quicker.

Set-up Camp at the Dawson City Camp Park.

Then we hauled up Bonanza Creek Rd. We were going to pan for gold to try to pay for some of this trip .

The technique:

The Loot!

I don't know what she is pointing at. However, you can clearly see my haul.

A little further down the road is a massive Dredge. Dredge No. 4:

An exterior viewing was fine for us. It was getting late and we wanted to head back into town to grab some dinner. Questor took a ton of pics of the inside of this thing on his and MAG's AK trip. The report and pics are here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655780

Back in town we ate dinner at Sour Doe Joe's, had some ice cream, and relaxed on the bank of the convergence of the Klondike and Yukon River.

(Note the two different colors of water)

Then we went on a search for a "Canadian Flag" sticker to add to the side cases on the bike. It was getting late and most places were closing up. We located a nice circa 1980's glittered Canadian flag sticker and snagged it. Then simply went back to camp, and crashed out to sleep.

Tomorrow, after almost 2 weeks on the road we make it into Alaksa!

jordan
Great RR I'm still new to ADVRider. Did you plan the camping or did you wing it and stopped where you wanted. These photo's are awsome, you guy's must of had a great time g.
ocived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #399
xcgates
Whaaa?

Of course I determined this after moving from upstate NY to the middle of TX. Where it's a day of driving just to get to a different state.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #400
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,856
Jordan, just found this RR, absolutely fantastic!

Thanks for sharing

GO THE STROMS!!!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #401
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Thanks, Jordan & Nikki!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #402
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Tim Hortons= Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJones View Post
subscribed! Keep it coming! ...... one other thing, I'm Canadian, and totally do not 'get' Tim Hortons either. Why are they popular? Seriously.
Almost blasphemy,
especially now Wendy's is back out of the picture.
They may have run into a few problems due to huge popularity and growing fast. One of the best sorta healthy fast food choices available on the road country wide IMHO. You're in the counter culture capital of the world in Nelson though so not surprising. I'm more left than most Albertans and envy you living in the Kootenays but have to say the new Tims in Creston is a very welcome addition during an epic home to Edmonton after skiing Whitewater all day. for staying awake on the road it's high test coffee and it's quick and consistant. In Alberta they seem to be a gathering place for all sorts of motorcyclists. Now back to the real reason we're here.
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #403
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I woke up way too early this morning and wondered what I'd do till daylight arrives and my 3 day weekend....happened upon your ride report...Awesome!! Loved every bit of it!!! My boyfriend and I and our great riding buddies, Chris and Annie, are heading to Alaska this July on a wee and a vee, so seeing you 2-up on the wee was very inspiring! I'm loving my wee and can't wait to start our journey!!!

Jordan....you have quite a way with a ride report...looking forward to your next trip!

If you have any troubles in the San Francisco area (we're 40 minutes away)...give a shout and we'd be glad to help you out in any way.

roadchick screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 05:42 AM
roadchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #404
Charrito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
We might just see you all up there...we're leaving from Dallas on 7/1.

Charrito screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 08:47 AM
Charrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #405
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadchick View Post

If you have any troubles in the San Francisco area (we're 40 minutes away)...give a shout and we'd be glad to help you out in any way.

Hey there
roadchick thank you very much for the kind words...You guys will love your trip up to Alaska, and will have many stories to tell as well (don't forget to fill us in with a RR when you return ).

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote