Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #106
NorCal.matt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I am really enjoying the RR, thanks for taking the time to post. Keep em comin'!
NorCal.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #107
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
My wife and I are enjoying your report. You two remind us of us. Good luck on the TAT.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #108
bingo43
ˇQue Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for taking the time to report.

The timing of your report is interesting. You did it last June/July and now you have the chance to live it all again for yourself. But for those traveling this summer it is going to get them all pumped up. For those like me who will travel June / July 2012 it helps with the advanced planing and route planing and in understanding how far a person can travel in a day / week in that realm. It's like three or four trip reports for different groups of people because of your timeframe.

Thanks!
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #109
presto88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
This is a great ride report! Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us!

I'm hoping to get up there this summer. It doesn't look like June is going to work (the dream is to be north of the Arctic Circle on June 21st), but maybe July or August. We'll see....
presto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #110
Bulitt
Surf Fisherman

Oddometer: 460
Jordan and Nicky.......just stumbled across this and I have to say....I am impressed with the part of the trip I only heard about! I have thought about you guys a number of times recently and thought about getting in touch. Don't forget to tell em about the stupid old fooker you met on the boat on the GS from MD in your stories!

I'm Subscribed.....Keep it coming!

By the way, you and Nicky should roll over to the N. Georgia Mtn BMW rally April 29th........I will be there and would love to see you guys! Great Mtn riding and good folks....check it out!

Brad

"Got to be a joker,.....he jus do what he please"
Bulitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #111
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulitt View Post
Jordan and Nicky.......just stumbled across this and I have to say....I am impressed with the part of the trip I only heard about! I have thought about you guys a number of times recently and thought about getting in touch. Don't forget to tell em about the stupid old fooker you met on the boat on the GS from MD in your stories!

I'm Subscribed.....Keep it coming!

By the way, you and Nicky should roll over to the N. Georgia Mtn BMW rally April 29th........I will be there and would love to see you guys! Great Mtn riding and good folks....check it out!

Brad

Hey Brad! How have you been. You know we wouldn't leave you out of the story . N. Georgia Mtn, eh? Sounds possible. I will PM you for some details. I was gonna wait and message you after I got to you in the story, and posted the pics of you sleeping on our floating homeless shelter that we took. Nah, just kidding. We didn't take any pics of you while you were sleeping, but now I kinda wish we did . Enjoy the rest of the report. We will be in touch!

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #112
Bulitt
Surf Fisherman

See you in Georgia later this month! Register immediately though....limited to 600 participants.

Info here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654968

Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #113
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Still following along , great ride report ! Thanks for the pictures along the Ice Field Parkway , when I rode it in 87' they had just oiled it and put down around 3-4" of pea gravel . Didn't really get to look at the beauty , too worried about staying on the road . I will join the rest of the comments on how lucky you are , but I think you already knew that . Planning on late June trip up there on my 08' Wee . Will be looking forward to a TAT report .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #114
Floridafeeger
n00b

Oddometer: 9
What an inspiration !!!

Jordan (and wifey),

Your RR is super - it has inspired me to do something this summer - go ride out to California, up the coast, and through the country - I am going to the Georgia Mountain BMW Rally at end of April too, as a warm-up trip to my summer ride.

Thanks so much for the pictures too - my wife won't even ride on my bike so I will be tripping alone - which is OK for beemer rider - (1982 R100RT). now if you can just loan me your wife for about 6 weeks as a riding companion it would be more enjoyable (just kiddin of course, about the wife part).

Hope there is more to come - it is great !!!

Eddie
Floridafeeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #115
PalmBeach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I love this trip. go go go
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #116
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridafeeger View Post
Jordan (and wifey),

Your RR is super - it has inspired me to do something this summer - go ride out to California, up the coast, and through the country - I am going to the Georgia Mountain BMW Rally at end of April too, as a warm-up trip to my summer ride.

Thanks so much for the pictures too - my wife won't even ride on my bike so I will be tripping alone - which is OK for beemer rider - (1982 R100RT). now if you can just loan me your wife for about 6 weeks as a riding companion it would be more enjoyable (just kiddin of course, about the wife part).

Hope there is more to come - it is great !!!

Eddie

Floridafeeger,

Thanks, there is more on the way! If you are planning a trip to Cali and up the coast, then you will really enjoy the return leg of our trip. We came across some amazing routes in that area. I hope to make the Georgia Mt. Beemer rally .

Jordan
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #117
Bulitt
Surf Fisherman

Com-on-maann.......quit jabberin and post some pics......

Jus sayin...........

Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #118
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Carmacks, YT to Dawson City, YT

Day 12 – June 11, 2010
Mileage Today: 240
Total Trip Mileage: 4,298

The sun was out this morning when we got up (i suppose it never really set at this point). We stayed at the Coal River Campground last night which sits right on the Yukon River at the Junction of the Klondike and Campbell Hwys. At The Coal Mine campground they have an adjacent little walk-up burger stand thing which also serves breakfast. This is super nice because some mornings you just don’t feel like pulling out the stove (waking everybody up at ignition), breaking it down, and cleaning it all up, just to make some coffee. We simply walk over and get some coffee and breakfast. We had a couple of “Klondike Quickie” sandwiches, and they were delicious – bacon, egg, cheese, mayo, and a fresh roll. Best thing yet for breakfast!

So, one of the hardest things on the list of "Things Nikki has to deal with" for this trip was leaving our dog, Bowser, at home.

Let's go ahead and document this list so far.
1. Bears
2. Cold
3. Gravel
4. Leaving Bowser
5. Pit toilets (we haven't discussed this yet, but trust me - big deal! )

Indulge me for a moment if you will...

Bowser:

We may treat him a bit more like a human than most do their dogs...

But c'mon, look at him,

could you leave this guy at home? This is what he does to us when we try to leave him. This picture is of when we were loading the car to go on a trip out West. Bowser couldn't go.

So, that being said. Whenever we are traveling it never fails that all the random dogs we come across find Nikki, or Nikki finds them.

Which is nice, but then it makes you remember that you left your dog at home, and what if he misses you as much as you miss him. Has he been staring out the window for 2 weeks waiting for you to come home?

If it wasn't for the dog, we may still me on the road .

Anyway... We head back out onto the Klondike Hwy towards Dawson City.

Over the Yukon River at Five Finger Rapids (you probably cross this river 1,000 times before your trip is over).

A quick stop next to some Urban Hieroglyphics:

Virtually no traffic for us.

I really appreciate the areas where the road is cleared a good 20-30 ft on both sides. It makes you feel like you can spot any wildlife that may come onto the roadway, and give you plenty of time to react. Not that you will, but maybe .

Passing the time to Dawson City - Q: How do you get skittles into your mouth with a full face helmet and mittens on?

A: Very Carefully!

We made it to Dawson City pretty quickly. That is why I love kilometers - they go by so much quicker.

Set-up Camp at the Dawson City Camp Park.

Then we hauled up Bonanza Creek Rd. We were going to pan for gold to try to pay for some of this trip .

The technique:

The Loot!

I don't know what she is pointing at. However, you can clearly see my haul.

A little further down the road is a massive Dredge. Dredge No. 4:

An exterior viewing was fine for us. It was getting late and we wanted to head back into town to grab some dinner. Questor took a ton of pics of the inside of this thing on his and MAG's AK trip. The report and pics are here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655780

Back in town we ate dinner at Sour Doe Joe's, had some ice cream, and relaxed on the bank of the convergence of the Klondike and Yukon River.

(Note the two different colors of water)

Then we went on a search for a "Canadian Flag" sticker to add to the side cases on the bike. It was getting late and most places were closing up. We located a nice circa 1980's glittered Canadian flag sticker and snagged it. Then simply went back to camp, and crashed out to sleep.

Tomorrow, after almost 2 weeks on the road we make it into Alaksa!

jordan
Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #119
zoki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

GREAT RR , GREAT PEOPLE ,GREAT ADVENTURE
Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #120
medicguy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
subbed! Sounds like a great trip! Oh, and give TH (Tim Hortons) a second chance! It gets better! I promise.
medicguy is offline   Reply With Quote