ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
xKLR_John OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Wildlife Management area roads in VA....

Ok.... I asked this question about NC a couple of years back and got the big NO response.

Can you ride "Wildlife Management Area" trails in Virginia on your dualsport? Or more accurately, is it legal?

I was doing some exploring around Kerr Lake and was on a state road that just turned into dirt at the Wildlife Management Area boundary. I didn't see any signs with regulations but after about 10 minutes of riding around I got paranoid and left. Obviously lots of ATVs, trucks, etc... had been using these trails but it could be they were all engaged in hunting and therefore legal.

And finally, assuming it's not legal, how likely is one to get busted and how big is the ticket? Hypothetically speaking. Not that I would ever consider breaking the law.
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKLR_John View Post
Ok.... I asked this question about NC a couple of years back and got the big NO response.

Can you ride "Wildlife Management Area" trails in Virginia on your dualsport? Or more accurately, is it legal?

I was doing some exploring around Kerr Lake and was on a state road that just turned into dirt at the Wildlife Management Area boundary. I didn't see any signs with regulations but after about 10 minutes of riding around I got paranoid and left. Obviously lots of ATVs, trucks, etc... had been using these trails but it could be they were all engaged in hunting and therefore legal.

And finally, assuming it's not legal, how likely is one to get busted and how big is the ticket? Hypothetically speaking. Not that I would ever consider breaking the law.
Go to http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...s/wmarules.pdf.

In short, plated vehicles an be ridden on maintained roadways only. Barricaded or gated trails or posted areas are off limits. Off road travel is prohibited as well.

If caught, you could be charged with trespassing (and other minor things). Trespassing is a class I misdemeanor which carries the potential of 12 months in jail and/or $2,500 fine.

It ain't worth the risk.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Every VA WMA has a published map with legal roads. I'm guessing you were in the Dick Cross WMA: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/maps/dickcross.pdf

If it was an Army COE WMA then I'm not certain...
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
xKLR_John OP
Studly Adventurer

wording...

These folks could use some work on their wording. I went to the regulations page you linked and it's still ambigous. I didn't ride around any gates or past any signs saying motor vehicles were prohibitted. The last blurb almost catches you... "authorized activities." That's probably the snag for just cruising around sightseeing. I don't think sightseeing with a motorized vehicle is an authorized activity.

Thanks for the advice!
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
"THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THESE LANDS IS FOR HUNTING, FISHING, TRAPPING, BOATING, AND FOR OBSERVING WILDLIFE. ALL OTHER USES SHOULD CONFORM WITH THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE AREA"

I like observing wildlife while out riding...
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
xKLR_John OP
Studly Adventurer

Aha. I also like observing wildlife.

I went and found where I was on mapquest. I was wandering about with no particular place to go and ended up here. I'm not making any claims about what a wonderful place this is to visit, it's just an example of where I felt I might be breaking some law. That's why I'm asking questions.

1591 Old School Rd, Clarksville VA <--- Again, don't bother showing up in droves to check out this awesome dirt riding. It ain't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
"THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THESE LANDS IS FOR HUNTING, FISHING, TRAPPING, BOATING, AND FOR OBSERVING WILDLIFE. ALL OTHER USES SHOULD CONFORM WITH THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE AREA"

I like observing wildlife while out riding...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Aha. I also like observing wildlife.

I went and found where I was on mapquest. I was wandering about with no particular place to go and ended up here. I'm not making any claims about what a wonderful place this is to visit, it's just an example of where I felt I might be breaking some law. That's why I'm asking questions.

1591 Old School Rd, Clarksville VA <--- Again, don't bother showing up in droves to check out this awesome dirt riding. It ain't.
I think that is part of the Army Corps of Engineers property. Check their regs at www.saw.usace.army.mil/jhkerr/rules.htm
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,599
Funny, looking on Google maps at the address you posted, there are two WMA's close by(Merrifield and Eagle point) that aren't listed in the Va DGIF website.
Of course I should know to take any info from Google maps with a pound of salt, and for that matter Va.gov sites.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/

I just wish they weren't so hung up about bicycles on their trails like Shenandoah National Park is.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
xKLR_John OP
Studly Adventurer

Good news...

If you're on a bicycle you're in luck according to these rules :

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...s/wmarules.pdf

Wear blaze orange and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Funny, looking on Google maps at the address you posted, there are two WMA's close by(Merrifield and Eagle point) that aren't listed in the Va DGIF website.
Of course I should know to take any info from Google maps with a pound of salt, and for that matter Va.gov sites.

I just wish they weren't so hung up about bicycles on their trails like Shenandoah National Park is.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,599
Quote:
If you're on a bicycle you're in luck according to these rules :

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...s/wmarules.pdf

Wear blaze orange and enjoy.

Quote:
Horseback/Bicycle Riding and Hiking

Horseback and bicycle riding are welcome
on all roads and trails unless otherwise
posted
Unfortunately all the good trails are always posted...I don't do roads.

Quote:
Blaze orange hat or clothing is recommended
for non-hunters during hunting
seasons.
Actually it's the law in Va to have BLAZE orange on when in the woods during hunting season.(and just good common sense) I always have an orange hat and vest when riding in the woods during hunting season. I also usually only go on Sundays so I don't piss of hunters.

I was going for a hike on a Sunday not too long ago(during hunting season), wearing an orange hat and these yahoos parked next to me started asking pointed questions like I was some hunter about to go do some poaching.
I jumped back at them with how I have never hunted in my life and am wearing this in case there IS a hunter in the woods and how if they had any sense at all would be doing the same. Shut them right up!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

The properties in that area are not Department of Game & Inland Fisheries WMA lands. They belong to the US Army Corps of Engineers.

I done did some checkin'.