Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Rapid Dog OP
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,661
Question Telefix fork brace on '81 RS...how to?

Know anything about Telifix fork braces?

Just did the Race Tech mod to the forks, full RT springs and all. But I have sticktion. Lack of movement.

Loosened and re-tightened the Tele, fine. It seems like the fork wipers are causing the stickin' more than the brace...
Cleaned the wipers, they have new felt. Waxed the fork tubes.

I don't have instructions, never had one o these, at least not since my 77 RS.
Had a CC Products FB on my /7.

Is there something about these sliders that I'm not gettin'?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 9,116
How to what RD?

What are full RT springs?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,828
Your forks are out of alignment.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Could very easily be more than one issue.

What is the set up on the racetech emulators? I was advised to use 2 turns using the blue springs..seems to be a view that they can provide fairly firm feel.
Are the forks aligned? You will have taken both fork legs off so how have you alighned them?

Take off the telefix. Any change. The telefax will help hold your forks together in whatever position they are in, but will not align them
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
I have them on my 81-84 front end. Polished 'em up too but that's another story. I had to sand the inside mating surface just a slight bit, I believe that they were squeezing the tubes out of round a hair and a hair is all it takes.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,040
It took me about an hour of carefully fitting and filing the brace in order to get it to fit correctly without it making things worse. It was worth it in the end but it was not a simple bolt on.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Rapid Dog OP
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,661
Clarification

I guess I should clarify.
The forks are straight per the pane of glass test, laying it across the forks.
The RaceTech stuff was all done per Matt Wiley's specific instructions.
"3 turns on the emulator, 15wt oil 130mm from to of the tube without the springs in, preloaded the depth of the fork cap, approx 20mm"

They felt very stiff on a test ride. Bad action, bouncy at best.
I pulled the wipers up, loosened the Telefix and they became much easier to move. Carefully I reset the Telefix and action all still good when pushing up and down on the forks.
But when I slipped the wipers back on the action was much less easier to move. They are causing enough binding to hold back the forks from moving easily.

So, this is a double question (sorry for the confusion).
One is the proper procedure for the Telefix install.
Second is, any opinions on the wipers being so tight (causing binding).

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Proper Teleflex procedure? F with it and F with it until you finally get it on right. RecycledRS has got it. Just like the forks, you can tighten and re-tighten just one of the many bolts ten times and on the last time everything will line up. I think it has a lot it do with the alignment of the stars and planets but I haven't tried to map that part of the job out.

Personally, I would rather set up a CC Products type brace. I think they are a better design.

Wipers? I don't need no stinking wipers! Not since I use boots! Sorry, no experience with that issue. They are rare even on customer bikes. They never did that on my LS but that is a different boot I think? I wore out a set of forks in about 80,000 miles on that bike. The tubes and sliders were toast. All the nicks in the tubes made me go back to boots.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Your forks are out of alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
It took me about an hour of carefully fitting and filing the brace in order to get it to fit correctly without it making things worse. It was worth it in the end but it was not a simple bolt on.
I agree. Plate glass test or not. The only way to have stiction is from binding.

Could someone please look in a Haynes manual under front suspension specs and see what it says for stanchion installed height?
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,828
There's a procedure in the Haynes or Clymer manual for aligning the forks, if I recall. Essentially, you tighten the upper triple clamp legs to secure the fork stanchion. Leave the lower triple clamp pinch bolts loose, as well as the fork brace bolts. Secure the front axle bolt and pinch bolts.

Roll the bike off the centerstand and apply the front brake. Push the forks up and down a couple times. The fork brace will align itself with the lower triple.

Put the bike up on the centerstand and tighten everything up.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
supershaft
because I can

RD, I was just thinking about your setup besides any alignment issues. So you set up your valves per Racetech. In my experience that means little. I have found advice from Fox, Ohlins, Racetech, Progressive, and others to be COMPLETELY off base. It's like PJ and I have tried to say from experience: they tell you were to set it up at and then you have to go back in and make major adjustments. Often they are not even close!

PLUS, our forks do have inherent stiction issues. It's a fact of physics that the stiffer you run your suspension, the more stiction you are going to have to battle. My advice is to error on the soft side. Less stiction and most importantly it's safer IMO. Too soft gets you some wobbles and weaves. The positive name for that is feedback! Too harsh gets you on your face or launched into low orbit! Stiction will put you on your face too! That's a big part of what you hear the racers talking about all the time: chatter!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,304
Properly installed, the telefix should have no real effect on the alignment of your forks and compared to installing a hoop brace, it's dead simple. Heres what has worked for me:

I always make sure the forks are dead straight and properly aligned. If the tubes are out even a little bit, I don't screw around, I replace them. Then, I place the Telefix in place and tighten all of the bolts "finger tight" and wiggle the parts around a bit to make sure that they have a chance to seat themselves.

If everything looks/feels good at that point, I tighten the clamps on the sliders a little more, check everything again, bounce the front end a few times and then torque everything down as it sits and I'm done. Really.... It's that simple.

Remember... The Telefix doesn't move or align anything. It simply holds the parts in whatever relationship they were in when the brace was installed. Also note that the Telefix shouldn't be holding the sliders with much, if any, clamping force. They pretty much snap in place and the bolts are just there to make sure the brace doesn't fall off. IMO, if a Telefix needs to be twisted, reworked or shimmed in some way, the part has probably suffered damage in prior use and should be replaced.

Unlike some of the other guys, I've had a couple of SJ braces and three Telefixes and the only installs that I had problems with were when I was using that SJ junk. I would suggest that if your having trouble with the telefix, that either your basic alignment is still out of whack or that that particular Telefix was fraakked before you got it. Examine everything closely and as always, YMMV.

PS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
PLUS, our forks do have inherent stiction issues. It's a fact of physics that the stiffer you run your suspension, the more stiction you are going to have to battle. My advice is to error on the soft side. Less stiction and most importantly it's safer IMO. Too soft gets you some wobbles and weaves. The positive name for that is feedback! Too harsh gets you on your face or launched into low orbit! Stiction will put you on your face too! That's a big part of what you hear the racers talking about all the time: chatter!
SS may well be on to something....

Back in the day, I used to run my front end very stiff with Progressive springs and heavy oil. OTOH, these days we all appear to agree that that set-up'll beat the crap out of you, without getting you to Toledo and faster. I was amazed how much better my ATE equipped bike felt and handled using softer springs and light weight oil. Now its very cushy and it reacts smoother and faster, with much better feedback.

Maybe you are running your forks too stiff. Something to think about anyway....

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 05:34 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Nailhead
Free at last!

Oddometer: 6,333
RD, this sounds like a whole bunch of trouble & tragedy: pulled out hair, elevated blood pressure, strained personal relationships-- to say nothing of the financial consequences. I'd just sell it to me cheap, and cut my losses if I were you.

It's the least I can do for a brother in peril.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,040
+1 I would add that I found it easiest to:

- put the bike on the centre stand, remove the fork springs and front wheel,

- install axle in and tighten, check for easy of fork movement and adjust if required,

- install fork brace and check for ease of movement. Adjust brace fit as required and check for easy movement.

When satisfied with install and setup reinstall the fork springs and wheel.

Good fork oil made a huge difference on stiction. I agree with supershaft on the emulator tuning as I settled with 1 turn on the spring and 7 weight fork oil. This gave a very smooth ride for paved road riding.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
The sort-of easy way to make a Telefix work is to drain the fork oil, remove the front wheel and fork springs. Slide the slider as far up as possible and install the axle and tighten the axle pinch bolts. With the sliders in this position, they'll resist being pulled out of line. Now install the Telefix. See whether the sliders will slide up and down freely. If they slide as they should you're done. Otherwise, spend some time getting the thing adjusted correctly.

Obviously, you need to reduce the drag you are geting drom the wipers. I have fairly frequently had to trim the felt in the wiper or even scrape it lightly. Never oil the felts-it makes stiction worse. A better answer is to use R80G/s gaiters; your fork seals will last longer and they don't stick.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote