Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
trizzo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Entering the Parallel Universe, need some tips!

Im doing a fly-and-ride next week for a 2009 F800GS. This will be my first BMW bike, and Im curious what items specific to this bike I should inspect when I meet the seller. Im also going to be taking it to a local dealer for a quick once over.

Any pro-tips are appreciated!
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Welcome! Here's a short list to start from (do a search for the first couple):
  • Shock bolt
  • Wheel bearings
  • Rims (dented, loose spokes)
  • All recalls/updates done
  • Chain and CS/rear sprocket condition (any bike)
  • Quality of any aftermarket wiring or accessories installation
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 261
Check the radiator mounts to make sure they are not broken. They are plastic and can break in a fall.

Concur with Orcasken on the recalls. One in particular you need to check on is the front axle recall. Certain 09's manufactured in Sept. '08 had faulty front axles.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490550

Welcome to the Asylum.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
trizzo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thx for the tips so far gents.

is there a comprehensive list of recalls affecting the F800GS and what VIN ranges are affected by each issue?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo View Post
thx for the tips so far gents.

is there a comprehensive list of recalls affecting the F800GS and what VIN ranges are affected by each issue?

Results : 3 | All records displayed

Make: BMW Model: F 800 GS
Model Year: 2009
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: MAR 11, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V088000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 754
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING 754 MY 2009 F800 GS VEHICLES. THE AXLE SHAFT WALL THICKNESS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED ACCORDING TO SPECIFICATIONS.
Consequence:
IF THE WALL THICKNESS WAS NOT SUFFICIENT, THE AXLE SHAFT COULD DEFORM AND COULD BREAK INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FRONT WHEEL QUICK-RELEASE AXLE AND REPLACE IT WITH AN IMPROVED AXLE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V499000 PE09051
NHTSA Action Number: PE09051
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 THROUGH 2010 F650 GS AND F800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 2008 AND DECEMBER 2009. DURING ENGINE OPERATION, A VACUUM IS CREATED IN ORDER TO DRAW FRESH AIR INTO THE CANISTER. THIS AIR THEN MIXES WITH THE FUEL VAPORS CAPTURED BY THE CANISTER, AND IS SUBSEQUENTLY COMBUSTED. DUE TO THE ROUTING OF THE VENTILATION HOSE, WATER NEAR THE END OF THE HOSE COULD BE DRAWN INTO THE CHARCOAL CANISTER.
Consequence:
WATER COULD FLOW INTO THE CANISTER CAUSING A STALLING CONDITION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND ADD AN ADDITIONAL HOSE AND ROUTE IT SUCH THAT THE PRESENT DEFECT IS PREVENTED. THIS REMEDY WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 13, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: JUN 15, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V274000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 AND 2009 F650 GS AND F 800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 27, 2007 THROUGH MARCH 30, 2009. THE DRIVE CHAINS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PRODUCED TO SPECIFICATION. AS A RESULT, OVER TIME THE DRIVE CHAIN COULD BREAK.
Consequence:
IF THE BROKEN CHAIN BECOMES TRAPPED BETWEEN THE REAR WHEEL AND THE FRAME, THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK UP, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVE CHAIN AND SPROCKETS ON THE AFFECTED MOTORCYCLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 30, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Unless the bike has been crashed it a very solid machine. It is possible for a moron to screw things up adding accessories. Frankly less is more. If it has a stock seat you should not be put off by the fact it is uncomfortable. BMW assumes your going to get an aftermarket seat and does not spend much building the stock one. It's one of my favorite bikes ever, and I have been riding since 1972. Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Just get it and take it to the dealer for recalls. BMW is good about tracking bikes and SN's for recalls. Save the cold non riding months for farkle upgrades and then tear it apart and do all your mods then. Last but not least hide the credit card statement from your wife, done.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,472
The recalls are the only ones listed. There are a number of service upgrades. For the 2009 bikes, most required replacement of the rear sprocket bolts, some got a software update, Check the fuel tank for cracks, it occures in bends. I am not sure the dealers knows the range of serial numbers but BMW central will know if your bike qualifies. If it has been to the dealer it probably has been done.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by flubbyhog View Post
Last but not least hide the credit card statement from your wife, done.

I have to see if I can hide my new to me X Challenge from my almost X for a bit longer!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
trizzo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thx for the continued tips. ive been emailing back and forth with the service mgr at ginas bmw who has been taking care of the bike for maintenance. they assure me all recalls/service items are taken care of. ill be flying in next week, doing a once over with their service dept, and then driving back to louisville. should be a good ride!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
You might want to inspect the front fender for cracks.

welcome to the club!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post

welcome to the club!
Shhh! You'll scare him off. ;)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Just mentioning this makes me wince. That was a nasty spill, glad you're Ok - seems like your gear worked well.

I suppose this is one of the advantages of the single rotor design of the F650GS!
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
trizzo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

chitown mentions the front fender... i saw your video as i was following your Winter Madness ride report. sorry to see that happen and the injuries you received. glad it wasnt serious, but a horrible way to end the Madness. heres to healing quick!

my tickets booked, doing the fly-and-ride next thursday! going to be a nice 9 hour ride back to Louisville with a break in davenport ia to see a relative i havent seen in years. that is....

if my rear bearings dont go out, the front axle doesnt snap, the gas tank doesnt havent a crack, the ews antenna ring doesnt mysteriously fail, the generator doesnt go out, the chain/rear sprocket doesnt have problems, and of course my front fender doesnt snap causing my brake lines to wrap in the front wheel!

should be an awesome introductory ride!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Oh stop!

Enjoy your ride, and forget about all that crap.... but make sure you develop a good relationship with your local dealer in case anything comes up.

I'm buying some new safety gear for a little more $$$ than I could get it online from my "new" local dealer I didn't buy a bike at just for that purpose, and because they are good guys.

Oh, yeah, bring an AirHawk pad!

Have a great maiden voyage!

Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote