Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #31
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Unless the Timesert bore was unseemingly large? To repair a stripped out coil cert? That IS an unseemingly large bore.
Thats why I think it would work just fine, but I dont have any real confirmation.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #32
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,836
You are now saying two different things at once. It would work UNLESS it is large and it WILL work because it is large. Which is it?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #33
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
You are now saying two different things at once. It would work UNLESS it is large and it WILL work because it is large. Which is it?
Sorry, I'm saying the same thing in my head, just not getting it out properly. I meant I dont personally know how big you have to overbore to sink a Timesert. I know a helicoil will have no trouble with the o-rings, but maybe the Time-serts require a bigger hole, or dont sit flush with the case, I just dont know.

Oh- youre saying that the overbore IS usually large with a time sert. There needs to be away to place accents on written words :/ I was saying that as long as the hole isnt bigger than the o-ring inner diameter it should probably be fine, would you agree?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #34
supershaft
because I can

Yes, now we are on the same page but I was asking about the beforehand mentioned Timesert that is made to repair a pulled out coil insert. THAT has to be one big OD Timesert. I don't see how it could work very well.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #35
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,321
This is a photo of a BigSert repair on an R60/5 cylinder stud (upper left stud, left cylinder). Repaired a pulled earlier "helicoil" repair on that stud.

The 10x1.5 BigSert has an OD of 0.545" and needs a hole tapped for M12x1.5 .

The /5 uses aluminum base gaskets and sealant, so this was not an oil flow/leak issue. I disremember what the later model o-rings sizes are.

Bill Harris screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 03:27 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #36
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
I was thinking of using the special base gasket which James Sherlock sell, with Locktite Master Gasket flange sealant - from that photograph looks like I wont have a lot of choice-----.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #37
supershaft
because I can

Great photo and thanks again Bill!

I was thinking about the same thing Beemerboff. I didn't know for sure but it looks about like what I thought it was going to look like. Not good!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #38
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,756
I'm a little late on this thread, Just for more info, I did a TimeSert repair on my '92 GS this past year. Upper left stud pulled and I found out it was due to a poor Helicoil repair by the PO. I repaired using the regular TimeSert vs the BigSert. I felt like I had good threads when I tapped it out for the TimeSert. I cleaned the hole out well and used high temp red loctite on install. When I had it all snugged down the timesert did clear the oil hole mostly, I used a die grinder to improve the access, but only slightly.

That picture of Bills shows the install well, if you note that the insert does block a bit of the hole, thats where I opened it up a bit. Before startup I did do the covers off/check for oil test and it was flowing well, we will see how it goes this year, if it ever stops snowing here.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #39
supershaft
because I can

Wow! That's a regular Timesert? I would hate to see what a Bigsert looks like. Maybe the photo makes it look bigger than it really is? The first thing I would have done is hold a stud o-ring up there and see how it fits now. That doesn't look good IMO. If that is as big as it looks, that is another reason to use a coil insert IMO. For the original repair that is! Good luck!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #40
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Says its a Bigsert. Will the O-ring cover an M12 hole? is the question. It obviously will do an M10, original bolt size.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #41
FUTURE
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
This is the attempted Timesert repair by a bike shop on my pulled stud. 94 R100. There had been a helicoil repair done by PO. When the shop did the stud up it pulled the timesert.

I ended up buying a short R80 engine and doing a barrel/head swap so I still have a 100.

My question is will a BigSert fix this? As the hole is now bigger and closer to the opening for the barrel.

2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote