User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
F800GS brake line crossover group buy

I wonder if we could get a brake line guy to do a batch of no cross over line kits to f8gs specs in a group buy?

Anyone have a trusted resource I / they could speak with? I'd have to guess we could get at least 10 of these kits between us, maybe more.

My speculative conclusion based on film and analysis in this thread is that the bike is safer if we can rid ourselves of the crossover. High fender is a plus but not enough safety margin.

Edit: This post was originally in thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236

Moved from Parallel Universe to Vendors as a group buy.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 03-20-2011 at 12:19 PM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
I wonder if we could get a brake line guy to do a batch of no cross over line kits to f8gs specs in a group buy?

Anyone have a trusted resource I / they could speak with? I'd have to guess we could get at least 10 of these kits between us, maybe more.

My speculative conclusion based on film and analysis in this thread is that the bike is safer if we can rid ourselves of the crossover. High fender is a plus but not enough safety margin.

I'd be *in* on this
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,199
I posted the data for the brake line setup I used here.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
I'd be *in* on this
+1 Would be nice for a kit to be pre-assembled...

I saw a similar situation where BAT assembled a flexible oil line kit for the single cylinder F650 and sold it for around $80. I think BAT only does oil related apps...

Maybe www.helbrakelines.com or Spiegler USA would be willing or at least point us to a shop who could assemble a few of these?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:

I can go ask my local supplier/builder.......Won`t be until next week though....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:

If you call cyclebrakes.com they can do anything to whatever custom measurement you want. If you tell them it is for an F800GS they can save the measurements and anyone who calls in can refer to it and get the same length you did.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:

I'm in I would rather do the full brake line fix than the TT only fix. Packed mud is one thing, a catastrophic rock hit at speed is a whole different ball game.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
I haven't gotten them yet, but I'd already highly recommend Spiegler if you're looking to do this. I ordered my lines around 10am, and I just got a notification that they've already shipped, and will be here Thursday. That means I'll have the brake lines before the other parts I ordered last Thursday!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Update

I just spoke with Jim at Helbrakelines.com Took him to this thread over the phone. He looked at post #247, and will get busy putting a kit together.

He'll get back to me.

I also emailed Cyclebrakes.com. (They didn't answer the phone.) Gave them the same link. They emailed back, and said they would take a look. However, I think they really want me to fill out their custom order form.

Talking with Jim was very encouraging. He's excited to see what they can build for a good price.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
I just spoke with Jim at Helbrakelines.com Took him to this thread over the phone. He looked at post #247, and will get busy putting a kit together.

He'll get back to me.

I also emailed Cyclebrakes.com. (They didn't answer the phone.) Gave them the same link. They emailed back, and said they would take a look. However, I think they really want me to fill out their custom order form.

Talking with Jim was very encouraging. He's excited to see what they can build for a good price.
Nice.

How I read the tally so far:

Want it:
OlyRider
Gumbeaux
EnderTheX
Suthergintelmen

Got some interest, may know a vendor to help
ebrabaek
Gangplank

Been there done that: Spiegler
MCMXCIVRS
dendrophobe

I haven't bought from any of the companies. Which ever brings it together, let's shoot for completeness. I don't want to track down that special such and such on ebay after I got brake fluid running out the back of the shed.

Helbrakelines seem to have a kit for most bikes so this may be their sweet spot. Probably get some nice pieces at a reasonable price.

Spiegler looks to be high end and I've got so much money in this bike already it is oddly satisfying to think I might pay the highest possible price for the very best that can be had.

I'll ping them tomorrow MCMXCIVRS or dedrophobe, gonna PM you, see if we can 'include you' in the ADV group buy count, get a retro on your charge card or something.

Anyone else?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 591
Add me Sutherngent. Too many dirt roads here to have a crossover line keep me off 'em. NVTS
NVTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,235
Add me to the list of "wants"
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Add me to the Want list
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Add me to the want list.

Just found this thread from the "Winter Madness" thread. Good to see the "happy friends" pic at post #160, and that you're riding again Finn.

I'll also be ordering a pressure suit to wear this season.
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
1) Add me to the maybe list. I looked at the TT kit and for the prices can't see using the same style lines. Still trying to decide how bad I need this, but I cringe every time I see the vid...

2) ... and just as an FYI the vid does work for me, from that last link Chi sent.