Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #46
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Hhhhmmmm....I could get interested in this deal, pending what you come up with. List me as a potential.

That "KTM" comment is very interesting thought, as well. Hope grandpa does it and keeps us tightly posted on the result.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #47
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Put me down as a potential buyer depending on final cost.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #48
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_ken View Post
Well on second thought......take me off the “want list” for now.

I was in the shop looking at the brake line on my '07 KTM 450 EXC and I think two of these lines will fit the F800GS with no additional parts required. The KTM lines are about 50” long with 10mm banjos on each end. If I use one line on each caliper and connect them to the ABS output with the double-long banjo screw from the left caliper and use the single banjo bolt from the ABS connector at the left caliper. The 2007 450EXC is street legal so the brake lines must be DOT approved and have the stiff outer cover where it runs up the fork. The KTM lines are about $70 each ($140 pair). This will eliminate the tee and short connecting hose. I need to make some final measurements.
I think that is prety much how Bartron ended up doing his in his high fender swap. Ask him how its working.

I chose to go with the tee set up and extra line to minimize the flexing and twisting of the lines. By using just the two lines, they have to both move for suspension compression and steering. There's not a lot of free space for them to clear all the instruments, fairing, forks, triple clamps and such in there, so using the three lines and the tee means that the two long lines only have to move for suspension, the third line only has to flex for steering. Changing the fourth line from the M/C to the steering head was just to make it clear the others. Long term might be the tell on this which way is best. I wanted to limit the stress and chaffing on the lines as much as possible for durability and longevity so the extra cost will hopefully prove worthwhile.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #49
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

I've spoken to Mathias at Spiegler to help him get this kit sorted. I am going to be giving him all the additional info for the setup and some photos to help him see what I've done. He is thinking that he would like to do this as a complete kit ready to install with no further fabrication or pieces needing to be sourced. That would mean the braket for the tee and the clamps to secure the lines at the fork protectors as part of it all.

He also suggested that it would be very helpful to have someone in the area near their location in Dayton, Ohio with an F800GS that could work with them first hand to make sure they get everything right. This might be an opportunity for someone to save some work and possibly some cost.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #50
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
He also suggested that it would be very helpful to have someone in the area near their location in Dayton, Ohio with an F800GS that could work with them first hand to make sure they get everything right. This might be an opportunity for someone to save some work and possibly some cost.
Hmm, I'm only seven hours away from there... If nobody's closer, it might be worth a drive to help out and get some money back!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #51
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

As far as brake line clamps/guides for the fork guards, I wonder if something like this would work?

You'd have to figure out a way to mount it to the fork guard (or get another set of fork guards with mounting points already on them...) but it might be a decent solution.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #52
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Spiegler

Damn it, I *knew* I shouldn't have moved from Dayton to Seattle!!!

(But it was 1967, after all....)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #53
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
As far as brake line clamps/guides for the fork guards, I wonder if something like this would work?

You'd have to figure out a way to mount it to the fork guard (or get another set of fork guards with mounting points already on them...) but it might be a decent solution.

Couldn't we just use a piece of angle aluminum to create the necessary bracket? Seems like that would work on the bikes where folks are using the original fender as fork guards.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #54
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Couldn't we just use a piece of angle aluminum to create the necessary bracket? Seems like that would work on the bikes where folks are using the original fender as fork guards.
I'm sure we could, that seems like the easiest solution. I plan on installing my new lines next week, so I'll give that a try and report back.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #55
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #56
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Abs

I don't know the exact mechanics of the ABS pump and pressure on this bike, but does making the lines longer, shorter, or adding another line in any way alter how the ABS functions? In other words, did BMW design the ABS to work with a specific brake line lengths?

I keep looking at the whole design and still don't understand why they did not stick with a more simple setup. Someone please enlighten me if I am missing something here.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #57
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Add me to the "maybe" list I'd like to eventually have a high fender too.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #58
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

I've had a couple requests for pictures of my line set up and the bracket for the Tee, so here you go.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #59
selecus
--------

Oddometer: 80
Please put me down as a maybe, depends on price point...
selecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #60
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
I might be interested depending on the price.

I need to look at the routing of mine today.

Question: the kit will be just a replacement from ABS pump to calipers right? That and a few adel clamps should do it.

Like I posted earlier this is a typical fix on sport bikes. Remove crossover and run two new lines direct to the master cylinder. Not sure how the ABS pump plays into it but guessing that running two lines from wherever the main line out to caliper instead of crossover would do it. :??