Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #61
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Took a look at mine today and snapped a couple of pics - I actually think it cost more to do it the way BMW did it.

Anyway, right now the brake line goes from master cyl to what appears to be an ABS pump connection?:

Here's another shot showing the in from master & out to the rest of the brake system:

From there it goes to the left side of the tripple clamp (left and right here are as if you were sitting on the bike) to a clamp with a 90 turn on it (90 or 180? whatever works. ).

Then it goes back accross to the right fork leg down to another clamp with another 90 or 180 turn on it:

Then back up and over again to the left caliper with a double banjo at the caliper:

And finally then it loops back up and over to the right caliper where it terminates:

Other than it being asthetically better maybe I can't see how running lines all over her saves money or weight for that matter. Personally I prefer a cleaner way of doing it. I'm thinking that this spring I'll be doing two things to mine....

a) figuring out which spot in that connection to run a double banjo or T connection and then runnign two lines - one to each caliper. Right now I am thinking it makes the most sense to connect from the clamp at the top left side of the tripple with a T or split there and then run one down each fork leg to each caliper with a terminal banjo bolt on each.

b) Then I'll figure out how to attach them to the new fork leg protectors I am going to make from the set that came off my aprilia RXV shiver'd fork conversion donor forks and figure out the easiest way to make a high fender for the F800GS including those. Thinking something like the high fender from the old F650GS Dakar single might work (seen that done here I think). Then I just have to figure out where to connect it up under the beak and where/how to make a few loops and clamps to hold the brake lines out of the way - for that I'm thinking two clamps like the one on the right fork leg and a piece of a wire hanger will do the trick. Hoop-d-loop.

Gangplank screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 10:05 AM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #62
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
I've had a couple requests for pictures of my line set up and the bracket for the Tee, so here you go.

MCMXCIVRS how did you attach those fork protectors at the bottom? Just curious as that is one part I need to figure out still on my plan.

Also I see you clamped the lines to the protectors which makse sense to keep the slack constant as the wheel moves. above the protectors do the lines just fles around when the suspension travels?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #63
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

I I took a quick look at cyclebrakes.com today and called them. Too two tries to get someon on the line (Carol who I've delt with before). Guess they are busy.

Anyway, they have a custom order form for Galfer brake lines on thier site:
http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/custom_lines.html

And a Galfer custom order form:
http://www.cyclebrakes.com/Galfer_Custom_Form_2010.pdf

Cost is est. at $135 for a 3 line kit that comes with stainless lines, choice of colors, all the fitings and the T block as a kit. Just have to measure and draw it out. Once it is done and confirmed they can easily give it a part number. I called back and they give an advrider discount of 15% off retail so just have to get someone who is serious to figure the measurements, mounting location, banjo types that will work best and then order and test it out for the rest of us.... then it's group buy time but at 135 - 15% = $115 + some shipping this seems pretty good to me.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #64
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
MCMXCIVRS how did you attach those fork protectors at the bottom? Just curious as that is one part I need to figure out still on my plan.

Also I see you clamped the lines to the protectors which makse sense to keep the slack constant as the wheel moves. above the protectors do the lines just fles around when the suspension travels?
The fork protectors are the originals cut from the stock fender. I fabricated the aluminum plates to beef the mounting up a bit. The lines move up with the suspension, they are guided by the plastic part that is secured to the underside of the triple clamp. You do need to cut a hole in the right side for the line to pass through, the left one uses the same opening as the original line. The lines loop up and over the fairing mount brace that protrudes off the steering head, then down to the tee. This loop of hose is where the suspension travel is taken up. It is essential to clamp the lines to the protectors otherwise they could get caught by the wheel and that's right back where we started
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #65
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 166
Hey Guys,

Was at the local dealer Saturday looking at bikes, they had an 800R on the floor so I got to looking at the front wheel and brakes on it. The 800R uses two separate brake lines going down each fork to the dual disks, so I was wondering if you guys thought it possible to use the parts from the 800R system on the 800GS. Might save some trouble and keep from having to 're-invent the wheel' so to speak, with reguards to the 800GS. You would think that since the R is mostly the same bike as the GS, that the brake systems ought to be the same system or similar, just with different hoses. They had a brake line splitter up at the top of the fork brace. Sorry, I didn't shoot any photos of it. Anyway, just a thought.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #66
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
Hey Guys,

Was at the local dealer Saturday looking at bikes, they had an 800R on the floor so I got to looking at the front wheel and brakes on it. The 800R uses two separate brake lines going down each fork to the dual disks, so I was wondering if you guys thought it possible to use the parts from the 800R system on the 800GS. Might save some trouble and keep from having to 're-invent the wheel' so to speak, with reguards to the 800GS. You would think that since the R is mostly the same bike as the GS, that the brake systems ought to be the same system or similar, just with different hoses. They had a brake line splitter up at the top of the fork brace. Sorry, I didn't shoot any photos of it. Anyway, just a thought.
Here's what on the Max BMW parts fiche:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...0&rnd=03192010

34-Brakes > Brake Pipe Front ABS

Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #67
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Update from Spiegler:

I spoke with Mathias this afternoon - they are still looking to get an f800gs in for the day. The rider who volunteers for this will get free kit, free install.

We've got two possible volunteers, go here if you are interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669817

Preliminary retail pricing for full kit is estimated between $220 and $230. This is before group buy discount. I was told by local Spiegler retailer we would get 'near cost' pricing for a group buy of ten. Not sure what the mark up is - double?

I'll bring current list of wants and maybes later today or tomorrow.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 12:42 PM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #68
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Right design but might be too short for the F8GS.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #69
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Interesting idea. Possible issue will be length of lines, guessing less suspension height on the R model - but I'm guessing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
Hey Guys,

Quote From ChiTown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
We need something like this, only with appropriate length cables - taken off of Nancy's F800 R.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #70
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 579

Could you not just double banjo off #36, bringing lines directly to the left and right calipers? No T's just some clamps on the upper parts of the forks. It looks like it would be less line than OEM.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #71
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Update from Spiegler:

I spoke with Mathias this afternoon - they are still looking to get an f800gs in for the day. The rider who volunteers for this will get free kit, free install.

We've got two possible volunteers, go here if you are interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669817

Preliminary retail pricing for full kit is estimated between $220 and $230. This is before group buy discount. I was told by local Spiegler retailer we would get 'near cost' pricing for a group buy of ten. Not sure what the mark up is - double?

I'll bring current list of wants and maybes later today or tomorrow.
Sounds like of expensive for a three kine kit. Can you post the specs?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #72
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post

Could you not just double banjo off #36, bringing lines directly to the left and right calipers? No T's just some clamps on the upper parts of the forks. It looks like it would be less line than OEM.
You could but it's overkill. Why not just measure the 3 like kit from 36 to the current bracket at the tripple (#90) and then two lines from there. Probably be an easy install and cost $130.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #73
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
You could but it's overkill. Why not just measure the 3 like kit from 36 to the current bracket at the tripple (#90) and then two lines from there. Probably be an easy install and cost $130.
That would probably be a good solution so long as you're planning to keep the fender and just eliminate the crossover line. You could feed them throught the guides in the rear fender strut to hold them out of harms way. You would need to ensure there was room for the slack line to go somewhere on suspension compression still.

If your goal is to eliminate the fender all together as I did, then there is still the problem of how to control the brake lines and keep them from getting caught up by the wheel. The lines would bend with the suspension, and you'd have to make sure there was no way they could flex into the wheel.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #74
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
That would probably be a good solution so long as you're planning to keep the fender and just eliminate the crossover line. You could feed them throught the guides in the rear fender strut to hold them out of harms way. You would need to ensure there was room for the slack line to go somewhere on suspension compression still.

If your goal is to eliminate the fender all together as I did, then there is still the problem of how to control the brake lines and keep them from getting caught up by the wheel. The lines would bend with the suspension, and you'd have to make sure there was no way they could flex into the wheel.
Confused. I think I'd be doing it pretty much the same way you did. I'd either use the fork leg protectors I got off the aprilia RXV or trim a set like you did. The RXV's look like these:

From there I'd use a an old F650 high fender and route it all like this except I'd use a T supplied by cyclebrakes using the galfer 3 line custom kit. Looks like he has the measurements. Seems pretty simple.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580958
Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #75
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Sounds like of expensive for a three kine kit. Can you post the specs?
Specs / history below.

My understanding is it is a 4 line kit but I have not done mod. Kit is supposed to be 'turn key complete.'

Pricing seems to be about $100 less than the same pieces fashioned 'custom.'

Will need to see what the retailer's discount is prior a final ADV number for this group buy.

I will get a confirmed complete schedule of materials from Mathias after Spiegler has a chance to fit everything up on our Motorfiets f800gs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Here is a link to the mod:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5422828&postco

Originated from high fender work being done here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525404

And Chitown's off here has a bunch of us looking to rid ourselves of the oem ste up:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236

Which led to a group buy thread and contact with a couple of manufacturers including Spiegler (a few folks have already procured from Spiegler) who now wants to build a turn key kit a cost lower than one off custom. But prior to 'kitting' Mathias at Spiegler wants to ensure everything is just perfect:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668862