User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #91
francisthepig
Dances with Lurkers

Oddometer: 150
put me on the "maybe list" too.

What are the difference between the cyclebrakes and Spiegler set ups, beside price? I also would like to know what "kit" would best mesh with gpracer171's mod.

Robert
francisthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #92
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 476
Laugh

i should put myself on the definitely list. i prolly wouldn't have been going 50 mph on that road but i think it would have hurt just as bad at 35. i ride gravel roads a lot and by myself a lot and the more i look at the stock set up the more i don't like it. but i think the changes for a non abs setup have to come all the way from the master cylinder as there is a banjo there then to a swaged connection at the left lower triple clamp then swaged out to another swaged connection at the lower right fork leg so there isn't anywhere to change the connection after the master cyl. i don't know if it would be as simple as a double banjo at the mc with two separate lines to the calipers or not but i would appreciate it if when the fit up is done if that could be explored
thanks to you guys who are piloting this project
christi
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #93
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisthepig View Post
put me on the "maybe list" too.

What are the difference between the cyclebrakes and Spiegler set ups, beside price? I also would like to know what "kit" would best mesh with gpracer171's mod.

Robert
We'll know more on differences next week.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #94
francisthepig
Dances with Lurkers

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
We'll know more on differences next week.
Ok. I just didn't know if one was a "higher" quailty or not.
francisthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #95
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief64124 View Post
i should put myself on the definitely list. i prolly wouldn't have been going 50 mph on that road but i think it would have hurt just as bad at 35. i ride gravel roads a lot and by myself a lot and the more i look at the stock set up the more i don't like it. but i think the changes for a non abs setup have to come all the way from the master cylinder as there is a banjo there then to a swaged connection at the left lower triple clamp then swaged out to another swaged connection at the lower right fork leg so there isn't anywhere to change the connection after the master cyl. i don't know if it would be as simple as a double banjo at the mc with two separate lines to the calipers or not but i would appreciate it if when the fit up is done if that could be explored
thanks to you guys who are piloting this project
christi
I'll add you to the list as no abs - that makes two of yous. Will talk with Mathias and make sure team Spiegler has this on radar (though they may well want a no abs model on campus prior to kit, then how big is market, blah, blah) about this when building out kit(s)

Any more of you FF's interested in sans ABS?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #96
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 476
well, i haven't been to ohio for a while
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #97
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Update

Jim from Helbrakes (Helbrakes.com) is sending me the first upgrade kit on Thursday for testing!! He's been great to deal with, and incredibly responsive.

Can't wait to get started on this improvement.

I should have it early next week. It will come with stainless steel fittings/lines and black coating on the lines. Other colors are available. Something like 20!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #98
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Put me on the maybe list please. Waiting to see which option is going to work out best. I'd like some more high fender options as well.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #99
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Forgot to mention - I did discuss Down Under logistics with Mathias.

He says once they have kit it can be procured via Aus Spiegler dealer network (outside of group buy of course)

Otherwise, I could take delivery of it and ship to you. We'll see how math works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1818 View Post
Hi
Add me to the "Maybe" list depending on price (getting it to Australia) and how it looks.

Thanks
Michael

Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #100
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisthepig View Post
Ok. I just didn't know if one was a "higher" quailty or not.
I don't know if it counts as "quality" or not, but the Speigler lines have banjos that rotate which I have found allows better placement of the lines. I don't know whether the other lines have that or not.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #101
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,213
The lines I have purchased from cyclebrakes have banjos that can be rotated.
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #102
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
brakelines

Helbrakes and Cyclebrakes are not the same company. Cyclebrakes was "non-responsive". I don't think anyone is working on a kit with them.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #103
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Non ABS guys - pics?

I just spoke with Mathias at Spiegler regarding non-ABS. He is working the interweb for fiche but would love to have some pics of your rig.

Anyone able to snap photos for us? He wants from the lever down.

Intent is to see if he can get a variant of the kit for you.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #104
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
I think I've seen this tossed around here... but has anyone done testing or know if there is an issue with the split lines and the ABS function of the bike?

I know the brake line length won't affect normal braking but I'm not certain about the ABS...

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #105
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Helbrakes and Cyclebrakes are not the same company. Cyclebrakes was "non-responsive". I don't think anyone is working on a kit with them.
From post #63. Someone just needs to call them and work out the details. I don't have time right now to do the measurements with other projects going on for my trackbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I I took a quick look at cyclebrakes.com today and called them. Took two tries to get someon on the line (Carol who I've delt with before). Guess they are busy.

Anyway, they have a custom order form for Galfer brake lines on thier site:
http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/custom_lines.html

And a Galfer custom order form to order a kit:
http://www.cyclebrakes.com/Galfer_Custom_Form_2010.pdf

Cost is est. at $135 for a custom 3 line kit that comes with stainless lines, choice of colors, all the different fitings and the T block as a kit. Just have to measure and draw it out. Once it is done and confirmed they can easily give it a part number. I called back and they give an advrider discount of 15% off retail so just have to get someone who is serious to figure the measurements, mounting location, banjo types that will work best and then order and test it out for the rest of us.... then it's group buy time but at 135 - 15% = $115 + some shipping this seems pretty good to me.