Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
Were you traveling with Nick Sanders?

http://www.nicksanders.com/2011/blog.html

yep, never again!!
..well, he's not known for slouching on the job is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh65 View Post
i agree about the super tenere, drive shaft failure after only 12,500, sounds like a mass recall to me.....
eh?

Haven't seen any mention of that on his current record breaking blog-run, and he's using the same 1200, which will be doing that run 3 times. He appears to be in total awe of the Super Ténére describing it in glowing terms. I've followed Nick's runs for many years & have never before heard him pour such praise on a motorcycle. If they weren't so damn expensive it would definitely be my own bike of choice for a trip like this. I hope he smashes the record... we'll have to wait & see.
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #152
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresta View Post
..well, he's not known for slouching on the job is he?

eh?

Haven't seen any mention of that on his current record breaking blog-run, and he's using the same 1200, which will be doing that run 3 times. He appears to be in total awe of the Super Ténére describing it in glowing terms. I've followed Nick's runs for many years & have never before heard him pour such praise on a motorcycle. If they weren't so damn expensive it would definitely be my own bike of choice for a trip like this. I hope he smashes the record... we'll have to wait & see.

if you are given a free bike for sponsorship you'd say nice things too...speak to him face to face and he had other things to say...let put it this way i wouldn't buy one, i'd take three XT660Z instead for the same price

i wish him well too its a tough trip but three times and heading down in SA winter is craziness
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #153
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
dmh65 - I'm really enjoying the photos of this section of your trip. All going well I'm heading through these parts July/August next year on my Tiger 955i, with my wife as pillion...

LMK if you need ideas on roads
Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #154
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

june 12

Red lodge to Kalispell

Took a long ride to get to a friends house in Kalispell MT, northern Montana scenery of farmland with mountains in the background all day long, dodged rain most of the day by taking small detours

Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #155
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

june 13

Kalispell to Banff

I had four tires waiting for me in Kalispell so did a quick change, the Conti TKC 80 lasted 5050 miles, the front was ok but the rear only had a few hundred miles of life left in it.

Then off to Canada…border crossing was super easy, the immigration guy wanted to talk more about mosquitoes than anything else, first stop a bank for some cash then ride for Banff. Long sweeping bends all day, clouds in the sky and I was fully expecting to get my first good soaking since Ecuador, it never happened, yippee!!!!

Stopped by the worlds largest truck which I make look small with the worlds largest XT600 until you look at the guy next to the back wheels, dam that thing was big

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #156
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

june 14

Banff to Prince George

Set up camp just south of Banff, and boy are then proud of their campsites here in Canada, $23 for a patch of dirt for my tent…if I rolled in with an RV and loads of other toys and hooked up electric and water its just $28…got to find alternatives, guess I was paying for the view

Riding by yourself in Canada you get some serious miles done, not a great deal of places to stop at so keep on riding, 500 + miles today, went on the Ice Road Parkway got real cold not surprisingly but not wet again, very surprisingly.

Days are getting a lot longer now so I find myself not even looking for somewhere to stay until 8 or even 9 pm and the sun is still high in the sky

Then the wildlife started to appear, bears and caribou hanging out by the side of the road

I stayed the night with GISdood from www.advrider.com and his wife, super nice people and a warm bed and cold beer…huge thanks for that and again sorry for the very short notice…he pulled up mileage for me from his front door to Prudhoe Bay 2122 miles, yikes!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #157
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
Nice report!

Just a note, that's not a Caribou. That my friend is an Elk, second largest member
of the deer family. Caribou are way smaller and seldom seen in Alberta.

Enjoy the ride.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #158
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Hey dmh!

Glad to see you managed to get your rr updated, great stuff as usual! And no worries about the short notice - it was a pleasure to host you on your way north and hear about your travels first-hand. I hope your luck with weather continues to hold as you head to Prudhoe, and if your route changes and you wind up coming back through PG again on your way south, it goes without saying that you're more than welcome in our home.

Take care and ride safe!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #159
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
Nice report!

Just a note, that's not a Caribou. That my friend is an Elk, second largest member
of the deer family. Caribou are way smaller and seldom seen in Alberta.

Enjoy the ride.
Good to know...I had no idea it was guess, actually hoping to see some moose but he was the first to cross my path
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #160
JRMosley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
In Alaska

For those of you following along, a little bird told me dmh65 made it to Alaska! Good talking to you for a bit, have a safe trip and enjoy the rest of your adventure!
JRMosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #161
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I can tell u that he did make it to AK. I meet him & snap this pic at a roadside pee-stop on the Alaska Hwy west of Palmer. What an incredible journey he has undertaken! Hs said he might be closer to 40,000 miles by the time he's finished with this ride.

I'm on a new Ural traveling from WA state to AK and back and he tells me on my return trip to be sure to stop at a gas station in the Yukon at the intersection of the Alaska Hwy and the Cassiar Hwy (Hwy 37). There's a lady that works there that has never seen a Ural and wants one. I'll do that.

Safe travels, dmh.

Norm
Attached Images

Norms 427 screwed with this post 06-21-2011 at 08:11 PM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #162
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

june 15

June 15

Prince George to Kidamaat Village

Left Prince George with 2122 miles on my mind, I figured if I could bust out around 500 miles a day that puts me past the Artic Circle on the way to Prudhoe Bay…good plan until it changed.

I bumped into a guy called Richard who was riding home on his new Harley from Vancouver to Kidamaat Village out on the coast of BC. He’s a member of the Haisla Indian tribe and be bumped into each other three times at gas stations along the road, the last time he asked if I was in a rush to keep heading north? Could I take a day off and go fishing as he was heading out the next day to do some crab and halibut fishing, I was welcome to come along if I wanted, take a left at Kitwanga instead of right and detour…

Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #163
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

june 16

June 16

Fishing

We headed out at 7 am loaded the boat and went down to the loading dock at Kitamaat Village, took the boat about one and half hours out and started dropping crab pots and then laid a line out for halibut…once everything was set it was a waiting game and then…

Around 15 crabs and one halibut…that’s a 88lb catch and along the line we also caught a few other fish, cod, skate dog fish and some others, even a couple of star fish that Richards nephew Chris who was with us decided would look like a good hat!!!!

Just for pure size reference here’s the halibut next to the bike!!!

When we were home I found out that Chris was a personal chef in Vancouver for three years and into the kitchen he went and made us a meal with the halibut filets wrapped in bacon, with a little brown sugar on top with a reduced balsamic glaze, it tasted unbelievable, great way to end the day.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #164
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

june 17

June 17

Kitamaat Village to Watson Lake

Left the village at 7.30 am, which just happens to be kilometer 0 on the route 37, who’d have known, not me!!!

2 hours riding and I was at Kitwanga for the left turn which for everyone else is usually a right turn up the Cassier Highway headed to the Alaska Highway, usual sign for moose and STILL NO MOOSE…

Similar scenery all day, mountains, river and long stretches of road in front of me, I got to Boya Lake, with intentions of camping there but the campground was closed for some event so I headed to Watson Lake and the Sign Post Forest very cool idea, so cool indeed that there were bus loads of tourists and every room was taken!!!

I turned round and headed west stopped for gas at the 37 station and never left, pitched my tent in their campground and got talking to a guy who has ridden here on his bicycle from Texas, and people think I’m mad!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #165
roastbeef82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
dead fish

Thats some fish man, loving your RR
Keep it up, if your ever in France..........the hammock is free
roastbeef82 is offline   Reply With Quote