User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #61
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
ruta 40...now i see what they mean

i read all these blogs and everyone says how difficult ruta 40 can be if the conditions are wrong….
we had rain, snow and cross winds hitting 80mph +, more than half the bikes went down in one form
or another…including me mine was just a little damage to the saddlebags nothing a hammer and a tiedown can’t fix
two bikes were literally blown straight off the raod doing 60-70 mph
strangely enough the bike that had the least issues with wind was the sportster
just did two nights wild camping and off to do another tonight, just getting gas at a ypf station in pierto moreano and using their wifi

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #62
zoki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

Superb !!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #63
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

more wild camping by the banks of the rio chico river...beautiful spot but very cold at 2 in the morning...today we rolled in to gobernado costa got a little hacienda and settling in for the night, tomorrow off to the lake district of argentina, san carlos de bariloche

lots more photos soon, minimal time to upload right now

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 04:09 PM
Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #64
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

great days riding, started real cold and got warmer as the day went on...stoped for lunch at el Bolson an took over the restaurant

even the locals dogs needed some lunch

the ride out to san carlos de bariloche was spectacular, around 100 miles of sweeping bends, clear blue skys to the nights stop over by the lake

heading out to the se more of the argentinian lake district tomorrow
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #65
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 394
Subscribed, I'm following this epic and amazing ride with lots of interest. Cheers from downunder...
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #66
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
Subscribed, I'm following this epic and amazing ride with lots of interest. Cheers from downunder...
we have 4 australians riding with us, a couple on a KTM adventure, there dad is on a old hand me down GS an another guy on a brand new xt660z

i'll get some photos of them posted for you, small world you may know them????
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #67
Cardinal Rule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Awesome photos so far. Looks like a blast

04 CR250
Cardinal Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #68
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh65 View Post
we have 4 australians riding with us, a couple on a KTM adventure, there dad is on a old hand me down GS an another guy on a brand new xt660z

i'll get some photos of them posted for you, small world you may know them????
I may know them but probably not. Post them anyway, I have lots of Aussie friends who are into adventure riding. The pic of you with the glacier in the background is awesome.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #69
DirtDancer
Slidin' Downhill

Oddometer: 90
I'll ride along

There is a new, state sponsered back country trail running from the Columbia river to Canada, mostly gravel and two track, every short days ride ends in a campground, easy gas and services," WABDR" , If your lost in Vancouver WA, Look me up. (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) Would enjoy a few days ride/with if it works!
DirtDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #70
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDancer View Post
There is a new, state sponsered back country trail running from the Columbia river to Canada, mostly gravel and two track, every short days ride ends in a campground, easy gas and services," WABDR" , If your lost in Vancouver WA, Look me up. (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) Would enjoy a few days ride/with if it works!
wish in knew about that earlier, just moved from WA to LA, this tripo i don't go near WA at all but thanks for the offer...if you do ride PM with a link to your blog, like to see how it looks, maybe a future ride

paul
Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #71
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

bad start but it got a lot better....

started the day getting thrown off my bike, the chain came off the sprocket after hitting a major pothole at around 10mph, rear wheel locked up and i did a superman!!!!

as i'm fixing the bike a little puppy came up and licked the back of my hand with a look on its face saying you think you're having it tough, all i have to eat is this stickk!!!

aftet this the day got better, some good pite and slabbed twistiesall the way to the rio grande river

when we went to leave the harley wouldn't start, one of the battery cables had snapped from the vibration of the bike and mainly the rough off road riding...a road side fix with some jumper cabes made in to battery cables, a little duct tape and we were ready to go, then this lot walked arond the corner

today was fast ride to mendoza, flat boring snore fest roads, but in the big city it feels weird to be around people again, lots of people...on the way we found a road side "deli" a leg of ham and some home made bread, soaked on garlic and olive oil...yum
Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #72
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Great report so far! Looking forward to the next installment.

One question: Do you know if the guys riding the SMT's are posting anywhere? I ask because I think this is the longest, gnarliest ride that I've ever seen a SMT attempt, and I know others here would also like to see/read about how the bike holds up. It was second on my "short list" before I bought my Multi.....

Thanks!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #73
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Great report so far! Looking forward to the next installment.

One question: Do you know if the guys riding the SMT's are posting anywhere? I ask because I think this is the longest, gnarliest ride that I've ever seen a SMT attempt, and I know others here would also like to see/read about how the bike holds up. It was second on my "short list" before I bought my Multi.....

Thanks!

-SM
i'm sharing a room with one of the guys tonight i'll ask them for you
Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #74
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

shattered neck bearing in tilcara!!!!

the front has been feeling a little strange to say the least, today was the first chance to pull it apart and i found a shattered neck bearing!!! the cage on the timkin had spilt in three places making the rollers bind and the steering at slow speed was basically non exitant. no autozone on the corner, so clean everything and repack both bearings an hope for the bet until la paz

nice scenary to fix the bike in....

we are in tilcara today heading to bolivia tomorrow and 360 kms of piste, yippee

while i'm at it a new chain and sprockets were needed, JT Sprockets sponsered me on this trip and it was time to open the goodies...that took two seconds, breaking he original chain took 3 hours, 3 busted chain breakers and half a dozen beers...why does something in the shop take 5 mintues but on the road take hours, luckily it wasn't raining

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 07:58 PM
Old 04-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #75
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

tires

What tires you are running on the bike and how are they performing for you?