User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,265
Am I gonna make a big mistake

Who here has sold their airhead to only regret it later?
I am on that cusp.
I just recently bought a sidecar rig and now the BMW looks like it's going to languish. So practicality dictates sell. (space, time, and debt).
aargh.
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
I can raise my hand five or six times on that. I regret selling almost every R80G/S that rolled into Taj Garage. I sold the last one about 3 years ago.

Das Beast is an ample replacement. I'm static now with an R60/2, R100RS, and Das Beast. I have also drawn the line in the sand. Somebody will get these when I am too old or too senile to ride 'em.
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
I am on that cusp.
I just recently bought a sidecar rig and now the BMW looks like it's going to languish. So practicality dictates sell. (space, time, and debt).
aargh.
Don't do it for one simple reason. I had a sidecar rig last year. Yes it was fun, yes my dog loved it. Yes it was better that a car. I still missed the two wheels. Give yourself one season and see. You may sell the sidecar rig....I did.

edit: I see it's a gear up. You WILL miss the R100. a gear up is a tractor. It's fun, but not a type of bike that is run to ride any distance. They require a lot of tinkering, so figure that into your time. Sometimes it's nice to just go for a ride.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
I'm riding the same wave. I'm about to sell my R100GSPD (after purchase of a KTM Adv) but I'm nervous I'm gonna regret it. I've always like the big pig, and I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. Can't say the same about the KTM.

I'm crossing my fingers... Good luck with your decision.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I have a bud with a Burgman 400 wanting a real bike, no insult intended I assure you. It is more than capable, it just does not have the right "shizz"

I been scoping some bikes for him. It is hell. I would not want to search for a bike, and I sure as hell would not sell my R75 for any amount of hookers in the world.

I'm just saying
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Dump your R100S for a Ural sidecar rig? Wow... Thats a hard one...

I wouldnt do it until I established that I had become a die-hard sidecar guy. Try owning both bikes for a year or so and see how you feel after some real miles.

PS: I've been thinking about a sidecar to take the grandson riding in but I wouldn't sell my R100 unless I absolutely had to.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 04:25 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Well, I can say if I sold EITHER of mine I would hate myself for it very shortly later....I vote don't. Those things you mentioned are excuses, not reasons. DON'T do it!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Thanks
I thought so. I sometimes need to come here and get some encouragment. Such is life with the non motorcycle crowd at home.
Sometimes practicality has to be trumped by matters of the heart and focus is sometimes lost.
Good advice here in OS.
Add has been taken down. R stays home. Minivan purchase on hold for Long Time!
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Thanks
I thought so. I sometimes need to come here and get some encouragment. Such is life with the non motorcycle crowd at home.
Sometimes practicality has to be trumped by matters of the heart and focus is sometimes lost.
Good advice here in OS.
Add has been taken down. R stays home. Minivan purchase on hold for Long Time!
I'm parting with my (owned since the early 90's) R75/5 on Friday...at least I'm dragging home another solo BMW as part of the deal. But I'm not sure how much I will miss my "old friend" of 18 years. I know the thing inside - out so now will have to get acquainted with a strange bike.
The trade-in BMW will likely be sold too if my wife doesn't claim it. Damned thing's blue and she loves blue.

I'm pretty hooked on the sidecar scene but nothing like jumping on a solo bike and racking off a 600 mile weekend ride! The sidecar brings forth more dedication and requires a bit more time.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

That said an more. My sons will love the hack more when they are older. However I dont have as much time vested in my R as you did. Im going to fire her up tomorrow and wake her from her wintersleep and give my burg a wee R therapy (and me too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I'm parting with my (owned since the early 90's) R75/5 on Friday...at least I'm dragging home another solo BMW as part of the deal. But I'm not sure how much I will miss my "old friend" of 18 years. I know the thing inside - out so now will have to get acquainted with a strange bike.
The trade-in BMW will likely be sold too if my wife doesn't claim it. Damned thing's blue and she loves blue.

I'm pretty hooked on the sidecar scene but nothing like jumping on a solo bike and racking off a 600 mile weekend ride! The sidecar brings forth more dedication and requires a bit more time.
84 R65
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
I knew it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post
I'm riding the same wave. I'm about to sell my R100GSPD (after purchase of a KTM Adv) but I'm nervous I'm gonna regret it. I've always like the big pig, and I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. Can't say the same about the KTM.

Traitor!!!
Buy some good lube cuz you're gonna need it when Eric's gets through with you! That's when you'll miss the big pig.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
I am on that cusp.
aargh.
Wife bought me a sidecar rig 20 years ago,love it! but I never sold my solo bikes
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Wife bought me a sidecar rig 20 years ago,love it! but I never sold my solo bikes
Nice!
84 R65
Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
Don't sell the solo airhead. I've let a few of them go and bought different versions back again a few months later, only to have to go through the entire "restoration" process again and fix all the crazy sh#t that other people do to their machines.

A sidecar rig is awesome, I love mine with the kids, but you'll regret selling the R100. Keep both, enjoy both, don't worry that it sits a bit more in the garage. It's only money, and really not very much of it either. Airheads provide a lot more enjoyment than their dollar value these days.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post

I'm GOING to sell my GSPD. I love it as an urban assault vehicle, but it's such a pig in the dirt that it annoys me. I will regret it only because my wife and I fit better on it than on the RS.
OTOH, I've found that any time I've sold a bike because I needed the money, I've regretted it. The money lasts a short time, and the bike is gone forever.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote