ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #46
Rototiller
Rototiller
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Perkasie, PA
Oddometer: 14
Congrats on the Saddle Sore, I'm impressed and I ride a 1978 GL1000 that has a Saddle Sore or two to her credit.

Old Iron Rules...
Rototiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #47
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat
 
sdpc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Somers, NY
Oddometer: 1,096
Excellent ride report

I too did a SS1000, but not on a 30yo bike, but your report certainly brought back some of the memories.
__________________
'12 R1200GS Rallye Edition, '04 R1150 RT (for sale),'99 R1100GS,'77 R100S

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #48
Brycesdad
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 2
"I did what every other guy would have done under those circumstances. I called my wife."
Repeated this to my wife who cares very little about riding. Even she thought this was great! Congratulations on your first ss1000. I say first because you know there will be more. Seems there always is " the next challenge" calling us.
Great Ride Report!

Rick
Brycesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #49
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
I'm planning my 10K mile ride around the US now... leaving first week of June and am gonna try to do the bulk, if not all, of it on backroads (ie: no damned Interstates!). This detailed report has inspired me to "attempt" my first leg as a Saddlesore 1000 leg!... I was already considering it, but I think you've just pushed me over the edge (of sanity? Could be!).

Here's my tentative route (Denver to Tupelo)...

Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #50
twigg OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 21
Narcisco

I was looking at your route.

If you go south from Ponca City, then turn east, you will have two additional "corners" to verify, because there is an alternate route through Tulsa, Muskogee and Fort Smith.

If you choose the alternate, I would be happy to meet you and grab a quick coffee, or just say "Hi", when you hit Tulsa.

Steve
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #51
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg View Post
I was looking at your route.

If you go south from Ponca City, then turn east, you will have two additional "corners" to verify, because there is an alternate route through Tulsa, Muskogee and Fort Smith.

If you choose the alternate, I would be happy to meet you and grab a quick coffee, or just say "Hi", when you hit Tulsa.

Steve
Thanks Steve!

Yeah, I was thinking about those corners, but I don't think it'd be a huge deal, as I've padded the tentative route... it's actually 1240 some-odd miles. Even the most-direct route (ie: interstate) is over 1100 miles. Still a couple of gas top-offs or ATM stops would be an easy way to verify a corner, wouldn't it?

Like I said, my main goal is to stay OFF the interstates on this ride, but I'd like to avoid larger cities, too.

Of course, I'd welcome ALL the tips I can get to make this SS1000 leg as smooth as possible!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #52
twigg OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Thanks Steve!

Yeah, I was thinking about those corners, but I don't think it'd be a huge deal, as I've padded the tentative route... it's actually 1240 some-odd miles. Even the most-direct route (ie: interstate) is over 1100 miles. Still a couple of gas top-offs or ATM stops would be an easy way to verify a corner, wouldn't it?

Like I said, my main goal is to stay OFF the interstates on this ride, but I'd like to avoid larger cities, too.

Of course, I'd welcome ALL the tips I can get to make this SS1000 leg as smooth as possible!
PM me if you change your mind, I'll come meet ya :)

Have fun!
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #53
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Thanks Steve!

Yeah, I was thinking about those corners, but I don't think it'd be a huge deal, as I've padded the tentative route... it's actually 1240 some-odd miles. Even the most-direct route (ie: interstate) is over 1100 miles. Still a couple of gas top-offs or ATM stops would be an easy way to verify a corner, wouldn't it?

Like I said, my main goal is to stay OFF the interstates on this ride, but I'd like to avoid larger cities, too.

Of course, I'd welcome ALL the tips I can get to make this SS1000 leg as smooth as possible!
When planning a certificate ride you need to to the following as a final check.

Run a calculation of shortest using your receipt locations. If it is less than 1000 miles you need to add receipts. Having said this Denver to Tupelo, MS shortest mapped distance is 1123 so you're good to go. Quickest is 1198.

With mapping software "most direct" is not the shortest possible.

Edit: Shortest Denver to Tupelo, MS is 1,123 and quickest is 1,198 so you're good to go, no intermediate receipts necessary.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 07:38 AM
Ritalin Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #54
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
When planning a certificate ride you need to to the following as a final check.

Run a calculation of shortest using your receipt locations. If it is less than 1000 miles you need to add receipts. Having said this Denver to Tupelo, MS shortest mapped distance is 1123 so you're good to go. Quickest is 1198.

With mapping software "most direct" is not the shortest possible.

Edit: Shortest Denver to Tupelo, MS is 1,123 and quickest is 1,198 so you're good to go, no intermediate receipts necessary.
Thanks for that clarification and for double-checking my estimates! I was only half-considering a SS1000 run as my first leg, but reading this post, scanning the IBA rules, and then doing the basic route-planning has got me excited for the challenge. My longest day was just under 600 miles last year on my Triumph Sprint and it wasn't a rushed day at all, so this run seems pretty doable.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #55
twigg OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Thanks for that clarification and for double-checking my estimates! I was only half-considering a SS1000 run as my first leg, but reading this post, scanning the IBA rules, and then doing the basic route-planning has got me excited for the challenge. My longest day was just under 600 miles last year on my Triumph Sprint and it wasn't a rushed day at all, so this run seems pretty doable.
When you get the receipt that is the "Finish" receipt for the IBA run, try to get a witness too. Two gas station employees, or the local police station or firehouse, or Tag Agency, etc, should do it.

It doesn't have to be immediate, but within the rough vicinity at a time a bit later than the time-stamp on the receipt would be perfect.
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #56
USMC Mom
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: "keep" Abilene "boring" Texas
Oddometer: 25
You are awesome and an inspiration! Way to go!!!!!
USMC Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #57
truckguy
awesomeness!
 
truckguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE via Tulsa, OK
Oddometer: 206
twig: crazy ride and I doubt I would ever do it so kudos to you, especially on the restored bike you spent time on!

Side note- we lived close by, until a few months ago I lived at the Villas at Bailey Ranch, right there on 86th st in Owasso...so on that note, good job neighbor!
__________________
Look. Lean. Believe.

Motorcycling is the pursuit of life through motion, sometimes at speed, during which the sum total of one’s existence is defined in the conflict between centrifugal force and gravity.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #58
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 295
well done, great stuff!
__________________
2010 KTM 990adv - daddy like....a lot
2010 f8gs - - dirt and crash tested
2007 Ducati s2r 1000 - - Starbucks approved
2007 KTM 450exc - - my wild monkey
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #59
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg View Post
When you get the receipt that is the "Finish" receipt for the IBA run, try to get a witness too. Two gas station employees, or the local police station or firehouse, or Tag Agency, etc, should do it.

It doesn't have to be immediate, but within the rough vicinity at a time a bit later than the time-stamp on the receipt would be perfect.
Good point. It isn't necessary for a SS1K to visit a firehouse or police station as it isn't an extreme ride, however if audited they are more reliable than the gas station attendant, especially if you finished at 04:00 in east bumfuck.

The ride is timed by the computer generated receipts. The witness is to establish that you were in the same area (town, city or close town) within a reasonable period of time to your computer generated receipt.

When I start a timed ride I like to have my witness form signed the night before (i.e. six or so hours) the ride as I like to leave a few hours before sunrise, why wake someone up to sign then or deal with a stranger in the morning. I also have the bike fully fueled, loaded and ready to rock before I go to sleep. In the morning I wake up, get on the bike and hit the pre-checked drive through ATM for my start receipt in about 20 minutes. The clock starts when I'm on the bike with the engine running. When well executed I'm having a nice (but quick) sit down breakfast just after sunrise a few hundred miles into the ride. I never understood folks who woke up, took a shower and had a full breakfast at home before starting their ride.

I call this getting shot out of the cannon and for me it helps get my head in the game right away with no BS.

It also saves a few minutes on the ride and a ton of time from when I woke up which might sound petty but once the clock starts a few minutes here and a few minutes there and next thing you know you've banked more rest time.

Rest is good.
Ritalin Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #60
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
All GREAT tips, RB... will take them to heart as I plan. You sound about as organized as me (ie: anal!)!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014