Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #61
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,046
I broke mine down to 250 mile chunks with food/gas stops in between. I also didn't cheat myself out of taking photos and I'm really bad at that. Always wished I took more photos.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457131

I also saved the fairly busy, but straight shot Interstate for last, as gas stations are open 24hrs and feel pretty safe in case of a breakdown. It was also in the wee hours of when dozing is a real problem.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #62
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
All GREAT tips, RB... will take them to heart as I plan. You sound about as organized as me (ie: anal!)!

Yup. Finished two IBR's and was doing ok in the third whan my final drive went kaplooie. I ride BMW's and I still love em.

I also host a 24hr rally in New England that is geared toward the first time rider and the big dogs too and this summer I'm helping set up the Bloomsburg 1000, a Saddle Sore ride to the BMW MOA rally in PA. We're also working on a SS1K ride starting from and returning to the rally site and a pizza party Friday night where we will award the certificates.

I like events were folks can get instant approval and a certificate right then and there.

My former career was as a yacht captain and offshore navigator so yeah I'm a bit anal about planning.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 05:28 PM
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #63
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
twigg/Steve - Welcome to the madness, and congratulations on your perseverance in the face of adversity... and for having the good sense to ask your wife for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharr View Post
Great ride report, thanks for taking the time to post it. And doing it on an old Yamaha is really great. My first SS1k was pretty easy and everything went according to plan. I have had many since then that were rather difficult. Hope you will send in your paper work and join the IBA. It is a great group of folks that understand that part of us that craves the long ride, you will no doubt fit right in.
Oh, no! If you're going to fit in with John, hurry and run the other way while there's still time.

Hi, John - long time no see. One of these days I'll get back down your way. You've been forewarned.

Or, better yet, pretty soon those boys of yours will be old enough to join you on a ride to Alaska.

Jack
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #64
Twowhltrv
twowhltrv

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

Congrats on your ride. Good riding & writing. It is nice to not be the only fool around. When you get your email notifying you that you made it and the mileage checks you will be very proud. Then you get to list your IBA# along with your name. Next is to start thinking about what you want to do next. You may never do it but you will regret if you don't. Welcome to the idiot's corner
Twowhltrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #65
USMC Mom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Omg! I told my husband about this, he apparently has been living under a rock with the Geico guys, as this type of riding is new to him. He said, "we gotta do this!". Isn't there a class/group called "married but soon to be divorced"?

Guess in addition to motorcycle camping we will start working on endurance riding. The longest I have ever ridden in one day was 700 miles, in 100 plus degree weather. That was one tough day.
USMC Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #66
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Mom View Post
Omg! I told my husband about this, he apparently has been living under a rock with the Geico guys, as this type of riding is new to him. He said, "we gotta do this!". Isn't there a class/group called "married but soon to be divorced"?

Guess in addition to motorcycle camping we will start working on endurance riding. The longest I have ever ridden in one day was 700 miles, in 100 plus degree weather. That was one tough day.
If you have Geico check your policy, most have 500 mile per day limits.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #67
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
If you have Geico check your policy, most have 500 mile per day limits.

Really? NEVER heard or read that. One more reason I'm never going back to GEICO!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #68
USMC Mom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
We have Allstate, I meant that commercial where the guys are living under a rock. But, this does bring to question what our policy covers. Never would have thought about a daily mileage limit.
USMC Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #69
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Mom View Post
We have Allstate, I meant that commercial where the guys are living under a rock. But, this does bring to question what our policy covers. Never would have thought about a daily mileage limit.
My bikes are under Allstate too, and I have never seen any such limitation on my policies. Good thing, too, or half my rides would be uninsured.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #70
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Well, this question prompted me to call and ask my local State Farm agent and look at my policy closer.... I don't have any daily mileage limits... whew!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #71
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Congrats from an IBA UK member
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote