Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Grayghost66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
1992 R100GSPD - Exhaust Gaskets?

Hi Everyone,

My transmission has been pulled and sent out to get the circlip installed (and a taller 5th gear). While I have the downtime I am assembling the parts to "refresh " everything while I'm at it. (BING rebuild, fresh rubber bits here and there, and fresh rubber bellows on the shaft etc.)

When I pulled the headers,collector, and single silencer I noticed that as I carefully twisted them off a bunch of dried up gunk feel out where the various exhaust components were fitted togather. (Again I am the original owner and the exhaust has never been removed)

I couldn't determine if the pieces were the remnants of exhaust cement or the remnants of a soft gasket. I looked up on the Max Fiche (thanks Adam) and saw there were part numbers for the description of "gasket" between the different connections. I ordered them. What arrived were Stainless Steel tubes with a slit along one side looking something like a napkin ring???? Okaaaayyyy????

Soooo....whats the story here? How are these installed? Do I use a semi hardening hi temp exhaust putty/cement between the connections to make them exhaust tight before securing the Stainless Steel clamps?

Many Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayghost66 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My transmission has been pulled and sent out to get the circlip installed (and a taller 5th gear). While I have the downtime I am assembling the parts to "refresh " everything while I'm at it. (BING rebuild, fresh rubber bits here and there, and fresh rubber bellows on the shaft etc.)

When I pulled the headers,collector, and single silencer I noticed that as I carefully twisted them off a bunch of dried up gunk feel out where the various exhaust components were fitted togather. (Again I am the original owner and the exhaust has never been removed)

I couldn't determine if the pieces were the remnants of exhaust cement or the remnants of a soft gasket. I looked up on the Max Fiche (thanks Adam) and saw there were part numbers for the description of "gasket" between the different connections. I ordered them. What arrived were Stainless Steel tubes with a slit along one side looking something like a napkin ring???? Okaaaayyyy????

Soooo....whats the story here? How are these installed? Do I use a semi hardening hi temp exhaust putty/cement between the connections to make them exhaust tight before securing the Stainless Steel clamps?

Many Thanks for any and all replies.
I have replaced them on my GSPD. I think the only hard part is removing the remnants of the ones that USED to be there. Once you've got that cleared up, the new 'gaskets' get inserted into the female mating parts. If they seem too large in diameter, the clamp was likely overtightened and had reduced the diameter of the tube. A cheap Harbor Freight pipe expander can be used to re-size it. Once you get the new gaskets in, just assemble the exhaust system. Don't tighten anything until everything is assembled and aligned.
Cheers,
Jim

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
I thought they were aluminum, but yes, napkin ring thing-ies. To assemble, use some anti-seize or grease to lube it all up. I've replaced them a few times on my bike - don't know why they disintegrate (maybe I didn't tighten the clamps enough?).
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Its a kind of impregnated layered paper. I've used brass shim stock for years instead of the stocks stuff. Totally reusable and seals fine.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote