Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
herman maire OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Airhead parts- who is the most reasonable, prices wise.

Yes I did try the search option.

I have been looking and looking for 2 days for the part supplier in the south USA... florida I think. A lot of ADV members recommend them and I was even on the website a few months ago but cant find them now, did they vanish.

Anybody know? If not, who has the most reasonable prices for a r75?

Thanks
herman maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,210
http://www.bmwhucky.com/
boxerboy81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,945
+1 on BMW Hucky's. Hans, the owner is good people. His prices are usually slightly lower than BMW, and he often has hard to find stuff in stock so you don't end up waiting 1 -2 weeks for a part to be located.

Other than that BMW prices are pretty well set. I get much of my stuff from BMW Orlando - the parts mgr, Wally is knowlegeable and helpful. I know they ship, but I don't know the cost since picking up my parts is a good excuse to ride 70 miles each way through ranch country to get there.

I've read plenty of good stuff about ordering from Max BMW, too. Haven't tried them though since Hucky's and BMW O'town cover my needs.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
herman maire OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Thats it my eyes are blood shot from searching. I tried for hours to find this place on google, I guess I was not using the correct search words or that website is seriously tough to find.

I will look into Max BMW also.

Thank you VERY much.
herman maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 535
I'd also look at MotoBins. They're not great for everything, and they're in Britain (extra shipping costs), but certain things are way, way cheaper from them. They carry pistons, for instance, for about $100 cheaper a pop.

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
EuBMW, Chicago BMW, Capitol, more...
OTOH; There are other dividends to supporting your local dealer. I appreciate the friendly face to face, and the price distinction isn't usually significant.
I've seen dealers come and go, and would rather chip in a few $ to keep a local shop than risk unknowns of mail order.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Lets not forget Eurotechmotorsports!
Chris has been at it as long as I have and he's VERY knowledgeable.
www.eurotechmotorsports.com
They are in Chico CAlifornia

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,650
Out here in the northeast, I primarily get great airhead/K service, parts, and expertise from the Nickwackett Garage ("bmwrench") in Vermont.

Max's is always very nice on the phone as well - only bought a few things there, but all good experiences. Same with Hucky - bought a few small things and a luggage rack, no issues, excellent to deal with.

I've given up on Motobins after ordering a lot of stuff there when our dollar was in the tank - some stuff is cheap, other stuff is pure aftermarket re-manufactured rubbish. Some of the items I bought from them I literally had to just throw away they were so poorly built/finished. It's impossible to tell what you're getting.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
While I really, really like Hucky's the fact that he doesn't accept credit cards anymore kinda kills it for me. He is check or MO now and it bums me out. I've been getting more stuff from Max Bmw as of late.
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkatapt View Post
While I really, really like Hucky's the fact that he doesn't accept credit cards anymore kinda kills it for me. He is check or MO now and it bums me out. I've been getting more stuff from Max Bmw as of late.
Hate to say it, because I love dealing with Hans, but I have had several friends that just flat wont deal with him only because of that. By the time you send him a check and it clears and then get stuff in the mail, you have lost 2 weeks of riding. Hope he changes back, I think hes going to loose a lot of business. Great guy.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
I think he still does paypal, but does a %10 discount for money orders.

His prices are on par and sometime a LITTLE more expensive (about equal with the discount). But his shipping fees are MUCH cheaper than the others I have delt with. Furthermore, I have 2x in the last 2 months emailed him about parts, formulated a list got a total, sent a money order and had parts in my hands in one case 4 days, in the other case 5 days. I am only a few hours north of him. But most of the rest of the country should be only a 6 day total turn around.

When he knows your order ahead of time, he ships same day he gets the money order. At the post office they are $1.

Finally, because its just him, you dont have to worry about who you talked to last time, if special orders, special needs, questions, etc will get figured out, answered and actually be a valuable resource.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From what I remember him saying is that paypal has upped their prices several times.
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
I think he still does paypal, but does a %10 discount for money orders.

When he knows your order ahead of time, he ships same day he gets the money order. At the post office they are $1.
Isn't that how he accepted the CC payments in the past through paypal? I offered to pay the paypal fees the last order, no dice...

I ended up sending a USPS MO the last purchase. Funny cause I had to buy stamps and an envelope. I haven't snail mailed anything in years.

His shipping is very fast which is a great appeal and he is a great person to deal with. It just takes my MO 3 days to get there. Then another 3 for the parts to get back. I used to love the order on a Monday and parts were on my doorstep in 2 to 3 days and riding before the weekend.
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Isn't that how he accepted the CC payments in the past through paypal? I offered to pay the paypal fees the last order, no dice...

I ended up sending a USPS MO the last purchase. Funny cause I had to buy stamps and an envelope. I haven't snail mailed anything in years.

His shipping is very fast which is a great appeal and he is a great person to deal with. It just takes my MO 3 days to get there. Then another 3 for the parts to get back. I used to love the order on a Monday and parts were on my doorstep in 2 to 3 days and riding before the weekend.

Yes, CC have always been through paypal as far as I know.

I have actually considered sending him like $100, so that if I need something fast I can have it. I am actually close enough to drive down there, but its about 30 dollars gas there and back.

I would still rather wait than pay into the larger places (not going to name names) $9 shipping for 7 oz worth of parts. Was pretty shocked about that one.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
Quote:

Agree. He no longer takes PayPal even when you offer to pay full price. Had a buddy who tried last week. Dont understand. That was the appeal for me as well, parts order and payed for Monday morning and got them with luck on Wednesday...