User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,173
What is a high mileage scooter?

I know some folks have put a lot of miles on a scooter. One of the Silverwing group folks had over 100K on his. But, I think that is more the exception rather than the norm. It's rare to see scoots with 50K+ miles. I'm basing this on many years of reading scooter forums, hanging at scooter rallys and such.

If you were going to buy one of these scooters, at what mileage would you consider the scoot mostly used up and not worth buying?
A Silverwing or Burgman 650
A Majesty of Burgman 400
An HD200 or People 250
A Vespa 150
A Zuma 125 or Buddy 125
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
well it depends how the scooter has been cared for. assuming all maintenance and repair was done i would say for the 125 and 250cc scooters 25,000m. i am sure the scoots would still have plenty of life left in them and their engines, but just how much can become quite varied scooter to scooter. so anything over 25,000m i personally feel is chancy for smaller displacement scoots

rider bonegirl put 40,000 trouble free miles on her Buddy 125 in 40 months, and has 15,000 on her 150 in under a year. a guy down south has over 50,000m on a 50cc Buddy. i've read of some Kymco 250's going beyond 50,000m, and yet others which need rebuilds or replacement in the mid 30,000m range

so "used up" can become highly subjective when talking used scooters depending on need and how much further the new owner wants the scooter to go. and price, of course.

the maxi scoots? i have no idea. but i would bet they are good for 50,000m and beyond. some, far beyond
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
I had a Honda Elite 250 that needed a top end rebuild at 46,000 miles. It had been poorly cared for as I only changed the air filter and spark plug once and I lost the oil screen around 8,000 miles and never replaced it. I did change the oil regularly (with store brand oil).
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
It is pretty dependent on the model, Displacement and bike. BUT the biggest factor out there IMHO is maintenance. If the bike was treated poorly and kept in the backyard in the rain and snow all the time, and maintenance was neglected, well even 30K would be a lot of miles for many bikes and scoots.

But if it got plenty of TLC and was babied, well 30 thousand would be nothing for most bikes! A properly cared for bike or scoot will go 100,000+ miles with no problem.

tastroman wow you really abused that Elite 250! Loosing the oil screen and riding 38,000 more miles, etc? Wow. Damn if I'd done ANYTHING nearly like that to my Elite 150 i'd blow up and kill me and itself! I baby it, and I take better care of it than most would spend on a 150 cc scooter, and it has been really unreliable with problem after problem until now. I FINALLY got all the problems sorted out, but thats incredible that the motor held up that yours held up so well!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
41,000 mi. Rebuilt the top end at 35,000 mi. I religiously change the oil & filter every 1,000 mi. with synthetic oil.
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
there one helix in europe with 98 k on it and still going. I ve seen one Burgman with 128K on it. If not helix then I would go with siliver wing or burgman do to japan quality. Vespa can be tought but for comfort ether of the about 3. I m guessing you can add rings at 30 miles or so if the compression is off. Motorcycle mostly don't die from miles but abuse. Leave a bike under a tarp etc for 1 year and you ve f3cked it up badly. My elite 250 had around 27 ooo miles on it and only was toasted due to being backed over.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
Black Sheep Radical
Fusionista

Oddometer: 94
A while back I had a test ride on a 2000 Burgman 400 which had 48000 miles on the clock. It had full dealer service history though and rode as well as my 20000 mile one. That seemed a reasonable bet, but I imagine any similar machine that hadn't been properly looked after at that mileage would be about ready to expire.

A while back I bought a parts scoot from a bloke who ran (amongst others) a couple of Helixes. His daily hack had 67000 miles on it - most of them his. I asked him what his best tip was and he told me 'change the oil every 1000 miles'.

Bottom line is this IMO - don't worry too much about mileage on a quality scooter as long as there's evidence that it's been properly cared for.
Black Sheep Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,173
I appreciate the replies but they aren't getting to the essence of what I asked. Not "How long can a properly maintained scoot last" but "What would be too much mileage for you to buy it"

Dudeclone wrote
"i would say for the 125 and 250cc scooters 25,000m. i am sure the scoots would still have plenty of life left in them and their engines, but just how much can become quite varied scooter to scooter. so anything over 25,000m i personally feel is chancy for smaller displacement scoots"

Dudeclone - thanks for that answer. I know it's only an opinion and there are lots of variables, how it was treated etc. but just a general idea. That tells me what your opinion is. That's what I'm wondering - what do various folks think of as a high mileage scoot.

For example - if I saw a Silverwing ad listing 50K miles - I personally wouldn't have any interest. Don't care how well it was maintained, to me I'd want something with less mileage. Likewise a Reflex with 25K would not interest me. For me, I really don't want to breakdown on the road. If I'm 500 miles from home, I don't want to deal with a fuel pump or water pump issue so I probably wouldn't buy scoots that others would.

So Gentlemen - Note the question was "....at what mileage would you consider the scoot mostly used up and not worth buying?" Think of it this way - if you looked at Craigslist- at what mileage would you just pass over the ad and keep lookiing.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep Radical View Post
I asked him what his best tip was and he told me 'change the oil every 1000 miles'.

This is sure one thing I LOVE about my new Shadow! The service manuel states the oil change intervals at 8,000 MILES! I'm impressed with the MANUEL stating this! I love this bike, hydraulic valve lifters, shaft drive, etc! Almost no maintenance! And less than the scoot!

I have usually changed my scooter's oil every 1,000-1,500. Some say you can go farther. I think I can, and I am going to do the oil test this time at 2,000 miles to see.

I believe a good Synthetic Motorcycle oil will be good at 2,000, depending on how you ride. But one reason for this short interval is due to the engine only holding about a quart of oil.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 233
IMO it's probably more important to look at the overall condition of any used vehicle than just the odometer reading. A neglected vehicle can be worn out prematurely while one that's been properly maintained will last indefinitely.

If there are lots of little things wrong that the owner hasn't bothered to fix, then it's likely that they have been lax on things like oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. An owner who keeps everything in reasonably good repair probably has been diligent about maintenance, too.

That mindset has served me very well in assessing used motorcyclkes as well as cars over my lifetime.
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
" if you looked at Craigslist- at what mileage would you just pass over the ad and keep lookiing."

With the multitude of low mileage low priced used scooters currently out there I'd turn my back at anything over 10,000 unless they were practically giving it away. I'm not say a 10k bike is worn out, but in this market, why take a chance.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
if I going to keep a bike for years over 20 ooo miles is something I would pass on unless it was cheap. miles verses price and condition.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
Several of the 2003 Burg 650s in our scooter group have well over 40k miles and are still going strong but I would consider that too high mileage to pay top dollar for but really I have no good reason for that stating that.
Off topic but....
Kinda like the people that say change your oil at 1k miles. How many have actually had their oil tested and found it defective or worn out? And to say it only holds a quart is a silly reason since it's only a 250cc or less engine. The oil companies love and thank the too frequent oil changers.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
It would cost me about 2 dollars less to have my oil analyzed that to change the oil and filter. On my compressors that took 5 gallons of oil and more I did it regularly.
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Personally, I would pass on anything over 10,000 miles (depending on the overall condition, and the price). I am a high-mileage driver myself, so I personally prefer to find bikes with just a few thousand miles on them, knowing full well I can easily do 5,000 miles in one riding season or more. It simply makes no sense for me to buy something that already has seen its better days. I sold my '86 Elite with 17,000 miles (bought it with 12k), and it was still running strong. I am in the process of purchasing a 1987 Elite 150 with just 1,200 miles on the clock (garage-kept its entire life), we'll see how that goes.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote