Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #751
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,416
Woot! The ultimate shortypants dual sport bike is ready to ride!

Hitting part of the COBDR tomorrow, riding from Buena Vista to Steamboat Springs for the KTM Rally. So excited!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #752
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Sorry, really excited about this bike now. The fairing makes this dirt bike a completely different animal.

His and hers

Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #753
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,544
Very cool. Now we need a picture of you on it riding.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #754
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Very cool. Now we need a picture of you on it riding.
Agreed! Ride pics!
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #755
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by region riley View Post
sorry, really excited about this bike now. The fairing makes this dirt bike a completely different animal.

His and hers
love!!!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #756
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
Sorry, really excited about this bike now. The fairing makes this dirt bike a completely different animal.

His and hers
They look awesome. I am interested to know if the lights behine the screen don't create to much glare at night. I sure looks awesome!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #757
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
They look awesome. I am interested to know if the lights behine the screen don't create to much glare at night. I sure looks awesome!!!
I haven't ridden at night with the kit yet. But there are about 20 Rally Moto kits out there and the all have clear plexi over the lights. No reports of any glare.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #758
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
I haven't ridden at night with the kit yet. But there are about 20 Rally Moto kits out there and the all have clear plexi over the lights. No reports of any glare.

Awesome i keep showing this thread to my wife hoping she will give this a try.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #759
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,544
You look good on that bike. You are so tiny but that bike doesn't look overwhelming. Ride on (and tell us all about it)
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #760
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,655
*drumroll* ...and our next shortypants project is....

A Shortypants 1988 Honda NX650!

Brought home this for Mala Bunny this weekend:

Which means another lowering project, YAY!!!

Plus NX's are rare, and pose problems for lowering, so here we go!
(hope ya'all enjoy this one)

Yes the condition IS as good as the pics, this is a near time capsule bike! I think these have great potential for the short wheelbase ADV Ladys. Although rare, the engine is standard Honda XR650L motor, and they are lighter and more powerful than a KLR650.

First let's deal with the rear.

So most bikes are easy to lower, you just get a lowering link, LIKE THESE FROM KOUBA LINK.

That one is actuall for an XR650L. While links are a quick and simple solution, they do have their drawbacks. Lowering links are actually l-o-n-g-e-r than the stock part (which allows the suspension to sag a bit). Since you are changing the length of a LEVER...

...in the suspension you are also changing the leverage ratio applied to the spring, and effectively altering the spring rate (which can be an advantage in certain situations). This is often overlooked by riders who slap in a link, likely because we prefer to ride than do math calculating ratios and spring rates. In the NX650 we would be replacing this part in the linkage:

but alas, there is no lowering link available for the NX650, so it's not an option.

That's fine by me, because I prefer to handle lowering via the means that any good suspension shop will tell you is the correct way, which is to open the shock and install a spacer on the shaft that prevents it from extending to full length, effectively making it a shorter shock. Since we are dealing with levers and ratios (the swing arm thingy) we will have to do some pesky math again, but it also illustrates how this can get you big gains in height reduction. Since the part of the swing arm behind where the shock linkage bolts up is 3 times longer than the section forward of the shock, we have a 3:1 ratio. Which means if we shorten the shock stroke by, oh let's say 10mm, it will lower the suspension by 30mm. So we can get a big gain in seat height from a small change in shock length (hurray math, woohoo!). Another plus to this method is that you have just taken the shock apart and replaced the seals and fluid, basically rebuilding that old shock. Shockingly (wow, look who dropped a bad pun) most suspension shops will perform this service on the shock for about the same amount of money as that lowering link! Now you have a fresh shock, and oh while it is apart you can change the spring if you need to.

But the shock on the NX is a sealed unit not meant to be taken apart and serviced! It's not impossible, and really good suspension shops can do it by cutting it open and welding it back together. It gets pricey though, and by the time you spend that much money that really good suspension shop could have built you a better custom unit, which is a fine solution.

What if you are trying to lower an NX on a budget though and can't afford that $500-600 custom shock with 5 adjustments and 3 remote reservoirs? Well on shocks that have a U shackle at the bottom you can often swap out the U with a shorter one. On the NX this IS possible !
It takes some work, you need to remove the shock and take it apart to get this thingy off:
(ooOOOoo, Showa)

...and replace it with something like this:

Which you can buy for about 140 of these

Umm, wow, and for all that it looks to only change the shock length about 5mm, maybe a smidge more. Hmm, I have and idea, since I have a guy who is an expert welder on call why don't I take him this

cut it, make the ears 5mm shorter, and weld it back together. If you don't have an expert welder buddy you may have to go to a good welding shop and pay them like $25 or so to do it. My guy is a friend, and he heats with wood so I trade him a couple of these

every year for a bunch of small fab jobs. It's a very convenient arraingment, and I have heard that some welders will also work for

Now 5-6mm (about the diameter of the hole for the bolt) is about all it looks like we can get without causing interference (parts hitting other parts) as the suspension goes up and down from all those cool freestyle MX tricks Mala Bunny plans on doing with her new NX. We know that will translate to 15-18mm at the seat, but I think Mala B. will need more than that. Hmmm,what to do...

Hey as long as welder-dude is cutting and making sparks, why don't we take him this thingy

...and have him cut it and make it a little bit longer. Yes that means we have to be mindful of the leverage demon, and battle the dreaded horde of Maths again, but honestly Mala B. is unlikely to do any triple back flips (shocker, I know), and for the intended use of the bike we should be able to adjust the preload enough to compensate and make sure she sticks the landing when doing a knack-knack. We will probably end up making this about 5mm longer, and between the two mods get the rear down enough for her.

Important note! If you choose to use these ideas to lower an NX650 remeber these are suspension components! If they break while riding some really bad shit will happen, and it will probably look like this:

So for the love of Baldy make sure you get the welding done by someone with real skill and knowledge!

Welds that look like this

are OK for your garden arbor or your kid's 9th grade shop class bird feeder hanger. NOT for suspension components!
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #761
Tylenol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Wow! read this thread front to back once I measured my inseam at 32" and got thinking a KLR or a DR650 is going to be too tall, turned here for other options and saw some of the places you girls took your bikes, crazy! especially that cliff climbing shot.
My uncle tells me if I wanna go trail riding I need an ATV and no bike will go where he goes. I would love to see jen stop by and embarrass him thoroughly :)
Now I really want to get a more trail oriented machine...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #762
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
...a DR650 is going to be too tall...
The DR650 is one of the lowest options for a 650 dualsport (that and the low F650)

I have a 30" inseam and rod a DR for years: mine was on the lower setting (sleeve on the shock turned) and it worked just fine. The seat width is actually what makes a huge difference
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #763
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
Wow! read this thread front to back once I measured my inseam at 32" and got thinking a KLR or a DR650 is going to be too tall, turned here for other options and saw some of the places you girls took your bikes, crazy! especially that cliff climbing shot.
My uncle tells me if I wanna go trail riding I need an ATV and no bike will go where he goes. I would love to see jen stop by and embarrass him thoroughly :)
Now I really want to get a more trail oriented machine...
Depending on what kind of trail riding you want to do the DR can be a handful because of it's weight. That is why you see a lot of the lady riders in this thread picking a better tool for real trail riding, like the TTR125 and other small bikes. If you are going to go ride with someone on a quad, remember that an ATV is easy to go slow on, a heavy bike at low speed is not much fun. We ride in mixed groups, trust me. So yes, your uncle could take that ATV places that would give an expert rider on a DR650 trouble, but in the converse a little TTR125 is like a mountain goat and can go places an ATV cannot.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #764
Tylenol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Depending on what kind of trail riding you want to do the DR can be a handful because of it's weight. That is why you see a lot of the lady riders in this thread picking a better tool for real trail riding, like the TTR125 and other small bikes.
The kind of riding we did that day I would describe as flat tall grassy trails turning to woodland with mild slopes. Some mud, a few bridges, some areas were littered with tree stumps, roots and/or larger rocks, with low hanging branches. ( I sound like a weather man), anyway the topic came up when we were short on atv's to use and I suggested that I take the 125 Honda, dual sport not sure what model. I ended up taking a 96 Polaris Quad, which was fun but the whole trip I was thinking "I could do this on a bike.... I think" I am new to this so I could have been out of my league, but I wanted to try. Maybe I was being a bit over zealous with my comment, but I enjoy seeing my uncle get the occasional bruising of the ego, because everything with him is oh so absolute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
If you are going to go ride with someone on a quad, remember that an ATV is easy to go slow on, a heavy bike at low speed is not much fun. We ride in mixed groups, trust me. So yes, your uncle could take that ATV places that would give an expert rider on a DR650 trouble, but in the converse a little TTR125 is like a mountain goat and can go places an ATV cannot.
I agree, this is something I really didn't consider and yes I will be on trails very likely with ATV's, and weight has been a consideration in my debate process of, "what bike to choose", but was only thinking about picking it up and not at all thinking of how difficult it would be to drive it slow. The main trail, the old railway, I can drive easily on a scooter, the off trails can get tight but for the most part they are pretty good. If I caught a tree stump or rock the wrong way I could be in trouble but there was plenty of room for a bike to go between them. The polaris I was driving actually drove around or between most of what they had to slowly crawl over, they had bigger machines the Can AM was like an off road cadillac.

I came here to see what the shorter people were driving because I was thinking the DR's and the KLR's were going to be too tall, and I am also thinking 650cc's is a lot for the inexperienced.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #765
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Weight!

That is the current battle at Sweetwater Farms. Tw200 is plenty low enough to be comfy and it is a great bike. It has been on the trails a few times now and will be back again. Lots of fun

However, I know a few of the tip overs aren't height-related or inexperience-related as much as the fact that a lightweight like the TTR125 with full size wheels would be more forgiving in the rough stuff.

I'm no physics expert, but I think it is possible that once the 300# of the TW begins to get away from the rider it takes more experience and skill to snap it back into shape. The required rider input is more deliberate and practiced. Don't get me wrong, that "deliberate input" may be feather light and full of finesse, but the smaller bike doesn't work so hard against the rider IMO. I might also be off my rocker with this theory, but Missus Sweet' would probably do better on a lighter bike when the rides involve rock gardens, sandy turns, and mid-trail obstacles.

My problem over here is finding this elusive dualsported TTR or similar bike. About the closest I've come so far is a Honda Reflex and it is $$$ and it is old. Like many on this thread, we are searching for the perfect ride, and it is a FUN search.

sweetwater screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 07:54 AM
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote