User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #151
dlhuddie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Balance (Pro-tech or Oiled) vs. Forma Boulder

How does the Balance compare to the Forma Boulder? Forma seems a little more feature-rich, with a little more ankle protection. But everyone raves about the Gaerne's. Thoughts anyone?
dlhuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #152
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhuddie View Post
How does the Balance compare to the Forma Boulder? Forma seems a little more feature-rich, with a little more ankle protection. But everyone raves about the Gaerne's. Thoughts anyone?
Though the Forma Boulder has some detail in the ankle area, it is only a stamping in the leather, not a hard insert. So, the ankle area is similar in support to the Balance:

The Formas are slightly stiffer in the sole area, and a little taller. Because of the additional shaft height, they are a little more supportive rotationally. They do have a few more features plastic heel counter, bi-compound sole, a real burn guard, etc.

The Gaernes look awesome, but frankly, some (me) like the look of the Formas even better. The brown color is darker, and the bi-compound black sole with the red insert looks more rugged. Plus they come in black:

You are correct, they have a few more features. That said, they are still roughly similar to each other functionally. Both are great. FWIW I sold my original test pair of Boulders to a friend that has been wearing them for at least two years without any issues.

Hope that helps!!

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #153
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,061
After about 3,000 miles of everyday use. ( about 50% of those miles in the wet. ) I still LOVE my balance oiled boots.The ONLY thing I would change would be to add a shift pad on the left boot, but other than that they are great boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #154
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 565
Just sold my Balanced Oil

So will be looking for some Formas

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #155
dlhuddie
Adventurer

thanks y'all! Now if I can just scrape together the cash on my student budget…
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #156
dlhuddie
Adventurer

Hi Brian, thanks for all the great info you put on here.

I tried on a pair of the Balance Pro-Techs and they pinch in on the lateral malleolus - my outer ankle - where that stitch is sewn between the bottom and middle buckle. (I've read of some others having the same problem w/ the Gaerne's.) I think it may be b/c my heel is kind of skinny creating some extra room so that the leather caves in there where it's intended to just flex. Having worn a lot of full-grain leather hiking boots I suspect the problem would just get worse with time as the crease continues to break in.

Looking at the Forma's, they don't have that stitching and the bottom buckle looks further down on the foot so as to create a wider space between the buckles. I'm wondering if you think that would alleviate or altogether keep the leather from creasing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Though the Forma Boulder has some detail in the ankle area, it is only a stamping in the leather, not a hard insert. So, the ankle area is similar in support to the Balance:

The Formas are slightly stiffer in the sole area, and a little taller. Because of the additional shaft height, they are a little more supportive rotationally. They do have a few more features plastic heel counter, bi-compound sole, a real burn guard, etc.

The Gaernes look awesome, but frankly, some (me) like the look of the Formas even better. The brown color is darker, and the bi-compound black sole with the red insert looks more rugged. Plus they come in black:

You are correct, they have a few more features. That said, they are still roughly similar to each other functionally. Both are great. FWIW I sold my original test pair of Boulders to a friend that has been wearing them for at least two years without any issues.

Hope that helps!!

BP
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #157
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
BoooooYaaaaaa....... they're still out there. Custom boot made especially for me by Atomic-Moto. No, they are not for sale!

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #158
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
BoooooYaaaaaa....... they're still out there. Custom boot made especially for me by Atomic-Moto. No, they are not for sale!

Dear gawd. Please help me un-see those.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #159
dlhuddie
Adventurer

Hi Brian, thanks for all the great info you put on here.

I posted this follow-up question about the Forma's but I don't know if you saw it so just wanted to repost it and get your thoughts if you have time…

I tried on a pair of the Balance Pro-Techs and they pinch in on the lateral malleolus - my outer ankle - where that stitch is sewn between the bottom and middle buckle. (I've read of some others having the same problem w/ the Gaerne's.) I think it may be b/c my heel is kind of skinny creating some extra room so that the leather caves in there where it's intended to just flex. Having worn a lot of full-grain leather hiking boots I suspect the problem would just get worse with time as the crease continues to break in.

Looking at the Forma's, they don't have that stitching and the bottom buckle looks further down on the foot so as to create a wider space between the buckles. I'm wondering if you think that would alleviate or altogether keep the leather from creasing?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #160
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Hello dhuddie.

Understand your explanation. That creasing can take place for several reasons: design, how the boots are stored, or excess room in the ankle. I have not seen that issue occur with frequency on the Balance, only in a few small cases. For some reason, I have a gut level feeling that I have seen it more with the Pro Tech than the Oiled. Not really sure, but this would make sense because 1. the leather is stiffer on the Pro Tech, and 2. because the WP liner on the Oiled is thicker, adds some padding, and cushions the inside more.

Because that area is leather, it will probably go away after time. I bought 2 pairs of Gaerne hiking boots that flat out hurt when I got them. But because they were special ordered from Italy, I was stuck with them (yes, it happens to me too). Because my, ahem, "business partner" frequently pointed out my less than ideal judgement, I stubbornly continued to wear them, but because they were 100% leather, with no plastic, eventually they became comfortable.

That said, any time you have a significant pinch point, if you can, you should move on to the next pair or model. Usually it just creates a bruise, and makes the boot unwearable. Again, I think Pro-techs are one of the better boots for comfort, but you were right to move past them.

Regarding the Forma Boulders: they are more slim through the ankle, which will reduce the possibility of pinch points. Frankly the Boulders are slimmer through the ankle, which you can visibly see in photos. Additionally, the leather is a softer oil-tanned one, which should also help. Lastly, there is a PVC insert on the outer side at the flex point, specifically to mitigate what you experienced. FYI the Balance USED to have this also, but they removed it on the last redesign.

Anyway, I am not able to be 100% certain, but I think you will be better off with the Boulders.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Bou...ots_p_792.html

Sorry for the long reply. Really, I just wanted to vent my $400 worth of Gaerne hiking boots story.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #161
dlhuddie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hello dhuddie.

Understand your explanation. That creasing can take place for several reasons: design, how the boots are stored, or excess room in the ankle. I have not seen that issue occur with frequency on the Balance, only in a few small cases. For some reason, I have a gut level feeling that I have seen it more with the Pro Tech than the Oiled. Not really sure, but this would make sense because 1. the leather is stiffer on the Pro Tech, and 2. because the WP liner on the Oiled is thicker, adds some padding, and cushions the inside more.

Because that area is leather, it will probably go away after time. I bought 2 pairs of Gaerne hiking boots that flat out hurt when I got them. But because they were special ordered from Italy, I was stuck with them (yes, it happens to me too). Because my, ahem, "business partner" frequently pointed out my less than ideal judgement, I stubbornly continued to wear them, but because they were 100% leather, with no plastic, eventually they became comfortable.

That said, any time you have a significant pinch point, if you can, you should move on to the next pair or model. Usually it just creates a bruise, and makes the boot unwearable. Again, I think Pro-techs are one of the better boots for comfort, but you were right to move past them.

Regarding the Forma Boulders: they are more slim through the ankle, which will reduce the possibility of pinch points. Frankly the Boulders are slimmer through the ankle, which you can visibly see in photos. Additionally, the leather is a softer oil-tanned one, which should also help. Lastly, there is a PVC insert on the outer side at the flex point, specifically to mitigate what you experienced. FYI the Balance USED to have this also, but they removed it on the last redesign.

Anyway, I am not able to be 100% certain, but I think you will be better off with the Boulders.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Bou...ots_p_792.html

Sorry for the long reply. Really, I just wanted to vent my $400 worth of Gaerne hiking boots story.

Hope that helps.

BP
Not at all! Thanks for the in-depth reply! I'll be ordering a pair of Forma's from your site momentarily.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #162
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 565
I sold my Gaerne Balanced Oils and bought the Forma Adventures......love them already. The Forma 46EU size fit my 11W foot extremely well

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #163
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,061
Still love my balances !!
2,000 miles of SEATTLE weather and still the most comfy pair of boots I have ever owned !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #164
Savk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I just bought a pair of Gaerne balance oiled boots but haven't gotten them yet. Do most of you guys use riding pants that tuck in or wear over the boot pants? Which seem most comfortable with these boots?
I'll be using the for trials bike and mx enduro riding...
Savk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #165
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I just tuck in but I guess it don't matter....................