Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #121
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I wonder if a good cobbler could put a heavy leather patch on the shift side boot ???.
Not without disassembling the boot (and re-soling it).

This is a non-starter for me on the XC. Might be fine on the husky, but then I wear MX boots on it. Even edpm rubber wears under my tiger shifter. LOTS of shifting on that one.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #122
deliberate speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate speed View Post
I've read through this thread and haven't seen this question asked directly, so forgive me if I missed it.

How good is the ankle protection on the Balance Oiled boots? I currently ride a DRZ400 and think they'd probably be fine if it fell on me. But I'm thinking of adding another bike, something larger like a Tiger Explorer or a 1200GS. Are these boots going to offer me enough protection? I hear stories of crushed ankles from these types of bikes being dropped.
Anyone have a thought on this? I'm hoping to buy boots this week and appreciate the insight of people on this site.
deliberate speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #123
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,322
Might be a bit to soft, IMO.

This is my signature.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #124
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,748
Thumb No problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate speed View Post
I've read through this thread and haven't seen this question asked directly, so forgive me if I missed it.

How good is the ankle protection on the Balance Oiled boots? I currently ride a DRZ400 and think they'd probably be fine if it fell on me. But I'm thinking of adding another bike, something larger like a Tiger Explorer or a 1200GS. Are these boots going to offer me enough protection? I hear stories of crushed ankles from these types of bikes being dropped.

I ride a Yamaha Super Tenéré XT1200Z, and I've never worried about it even a femto-second. They're a ton better than any ol' street boot. They may not be as stiff or as tough in the ankle area as a full-on MX boot, but that's the trade-off...

You can walk all day in the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots, and certainly ride in them as long as you physically bear up. They're that comfortable, and much more comfortable for all-day wear than any MX boots I've ever worn. I've dropped my Super Tenéré a couple of times with the Balance Oiled boots on and so far no lower leg, ankle, or foot injuries of any kind.

For me the simple answer is this... If I was going to ride MX I'd wear an MX boot. Riding my big "adventure" bike I wear a boot better suited to its mission - covering miles all day in any terrain, and occasionally have to either push the bike out tough sections or get off and walk around at places I visit, etc.

For that I have never found a better boot than the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #125
deliberate speed
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. It's much appreciated. I'll be contacting Atomic Moto soon for these boots.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #126
fierstf
girl power

Oddometer: 63
Smaller sizes for women as well

As a woman who wears a size 6 in men's boots, I have very few options. Women's boots are often geared for Harley riders. I can buy boy's boots but they are often cheap and uncomfortable. When I was looking around a shop a few weeks ago, the sales associate told me the Balance Oiled could be ordered in a men's 6 (actually she said they could even be ordered as small as 5). I was very happy I ordered them because they fit like a glove from the moment I slipped them on. I have tested them in torrential rains and they stay dry. They are so comfortable, provide great protection, and they look great. They are worth every penny. Keep these boots in mind if you have friends with smaller feet!

fierstf screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 01:04 AM Reason: Spelling
fierstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #127
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Commenting on ankle protection with a bigger bike, I got my 1150GS out of sorts while trying to get over a log on Saturday, managed to catch my right ankle on something (not sure if it was a protruding piece of ground or the right-side head), and although it wasn't particularly comfortable, I ended up with only a little swelling. I have crash the 1150 off-road while wearing the Oiled Balances more than once (heck, I did so more than once on Saturday), and I've been pretty happy overall with boots. If I buy another boot anytime soon, I probably would be looking for more of a true offroad boot, but being able to walk around in the boots all day is rather nice.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #128
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
Commenting on ankle protection with a bigger bike, I got my 1150GS out of sorts while trying to get over a log on Saturday, managed to catch my right ankle on something (not sure if it was a protruding piece of ground or the right-side head), and although it wasn't particularly comfortable, I ended up with only a little swelling. I have crash the 1150 off-road while wearing the Oiled Balances more than once (heck, I did so more than once on Saturday), and I've been pretty happy overall with boots. If I buy another boot anytime soon, I probably would be looking for more of a true offroad boot, but being able to walk around in the boots all day is rather nice.
I forget that I have oiled's on until I cross my legs and the buckles hit my thigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #129
deliberate speed
Adventurer

So, after calling up Atomic Moto and speaking with Brian, I ended up buying the Gaerne GX-1 boots. I still think I'm going to buy the Balance Oiled boots, but for the type of riding I'm trying to get into right now, the GX-1s seem more appropriate. (I'm still waiting for them to be delivered.) They have more protection and are still supposed to be moderately comfortable.

Add me to the list of people that think Brian and the people at Atomic Moto are super cool. He was very patient with me and all of my many questions, taking the time to go over different options and help me come to a decision. I'll be going to them for more gear in the future.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #130
Rusty Shovel
Banned

Oddometer: 67
I just returned a set of the Pro-Techs. I didn't realize that they and the "oiled" boots weren't one and the same.

I'm considering the oiled version now, but I have one reservation: I didn't like the buckles. Are the buckles on the oiled version upgraded from the Pro tech? They look different.
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #131
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,516
I don't know what are on the pro-techs but the ones on my oiled are great,easy to buckle in the dark and stay buckled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #132
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shovel View Post
I just returned a set of the Pro-Techs. I didn't realize that they and the "oiled" boots weren't one and the same.

I'm considering the oiled version now, but I have one reservation: I didn't like the buckles. Are the buckles on the oiled version upgraded from the Pro tech? They look different.
RS, they are the same buckles. For reference, they are adjustable for alignment.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #133
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 766
Gaerne Balance Oiled - size question

Thinking about a pair of balanced oiled and typically wear a 46 in bmw allround, and Sidi Canyon for reference. Reading the thread, 11's and 12's run larger. Should I get a 46 or go down to a 45?
Thanks.
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #134
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
Thinking about a pair of balanced oiled and typically wear a 46 in bmw allround, and Sidi Canyon for reference. Reading the thread, 11's and 12's run larger. Should I get a 46 or go down to a 45?
Thanks.
Hello Mindfulness.

The Balance Oiled is not offered in a 45, they go from a 10 / 44.5 to an 11 / 46.

It would be best to know the EU size of 2 - 3 pairs of your casual, athletic, or hiking shoes, and also how you spec out on a Brannock device (foot measuring tool). That said, if I am to guess from the info given I would say an 11 / 46.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #135
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hello Mindfulness.

The Balance Oiled is not offered in a 45, they go from a 10 / 44.5 to an 11 / 46.

It would be best to know the EU size of 2 - 3 pairs of your casual, athletic, or hiking shoes, and also how you spec out on a Brannock device (foot measuring tool). That said, if I am to guess from the info given I would say an 11 / 46.

Hope that helps.

BP
Ok, 46 sounds right, thanks for the clarification!
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote