User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
BD's Cycles OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
the natural cycle of cyclists?

For years I used to wonder why some of the old-timers were so smitten with their old BMW's, their KLR650, their Vstrom, whatever. I didn't get it. It just didn't make sense to me. Every time I got a chance, I would buy a bigger, faster, more powerful, more expensive, and more focused bike. GSXR600. ZX-9R. CBR929RR. R1. And the list goes on. I never understood how those older guys could be so content and so happy riding that bike. Bikes that just seemed so boring and yesterday.

Then about 13 years ago I bought a ZRX1100. And did a track day on it, a first for me at that time. Go figure, all those years riding what essentially amounted to race bikes on the street, and I'd never bothered to do a track day on one, LOL.

I still see so many guys I know buying bigger, badder, faster and more focused bikes. Every year! Brand new bikes that often cost $13k, $14k, or more. Then dumping thousands into exhaust systems, fancy wheels, expensive suspension mods.

Meanwhile, I seem to be migrating in the complete opposite direction. Somehow, on my little 1999 SV650 that cost me $1800, I am as giddy as ever. I couldn't ask for a more fun, affordable, good looking, enthusiastic, and capable motorcycle. If I had $15k in my pocket tomorrow, I'd just be riding this SV with $15k in my pocket. I think I have become "one of those old timers"
BD's Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD's Cycles View Post
For years I used to wonder why some of the old-timers were so smitten with their old BMW's, their KLR650, their Vstrom, whatever. I didn't get it. It just didn't make sense to me. Every time I got a chance, I would buy a bigger, faster, more powerful, more expensive, and more focused bike. GSXR600. ZX-9R. CBR929RR. R1. And the list goes on. I never understood how those older guys could be so content and so happy riding that bike. Bikes that just seemed so boring and yesterday.

Then about 13 years ago I bought a ZRX1100. And did a track day on it, a first for me at that time. Go figure, all those years riding what essentially amounted to race bikes on the street, and I'd never bothered to do a track day on one, LOL.

I still see so many guys I know buying bigger, badder, faster and more focused bikes. Every year! Brand new bikes that often cost $13k, $14k, or more. Then dumping thousands into exhaust systems, fancy wheels, expensive suspension mods.

Meanwhile, I seem to be migrating in the complete opposite direction. Somehow, on my little 1999 SV650 that cost me $1800, I am as giddy as ever. I couldn't ask for a more fun, affordable, good looking, enthusiastic, and capable motorcycle. If I had $15k in my pocket tomorrow, I'd just be riding this SV with $15k in my pocket. I think I have become "one of those old timers"
I have no idea. I guess some people just like switching to the next bike. Some switch till they find one that hits home. Some find one and stay put for a while.

I guess I am one that found one and stayed put sort of. I have had two bikes. 04 SV650N and now I have an 09 SV650SFA. Had the chance to change, but didn't. Love the SV to much
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote