Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Ball and Chain OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Can the immobilizer on the 990R be disabled?

My immobilizer gives me hassles, the bike starts and when you turn the steering, the bike switch off and on.

I don't see the use of an immobilizer.
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer: 547
Yes and no

I accidentally disabled mine a while back by forcing the wrong map in via Tuneboy. The map was apparently for an SD with the same type ECU but without the immobilizer active.

The bike would start and run on an uncoded key, gave a continuous immobilizer warning light, and would not allow additional map changes (Tuneboy reported a checksum error). I had to take it to Scuderia West to have the original map replaced.

BUT your problem sounds like a wiring break in your ignition loom like my problem in this thread. If it was an immobilizer issue the bike wouldn't start at all.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
My immobilizer gives me hassles, the bike starts and when you turn the steering, the bike switch off and on.

I don't see the use of an immobilizer.
2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Gluaisrothaí is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Ball and Chain OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice, but the wires look intact. When I fiddle with the immobilizer wire, the engine cuts out.

The problem seems to be gone after I sprayed WD40 in the ignition switch. I tested the bike this morning over bad roads and everything seems fine
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
Thanks for the advice, but the wires look intact. When I fiddle with the immobilizer wire, the engine cuts out.

The problem seems to be gone after I sprayed WD40 in the ignition switch. I tested the bike this morning over bad roads and everything seems fine
If the wires are damaged, it might not be obvious. I had to cut the sheath back to get to the break point.

You could also have had corroded contacts in the switch itself, hence WD40 did the trick. FYI the immobilizer wire is actually only an antenna to communicate with the key.

Good luck!
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Suncruiser
and Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Immobilizer!

I had trouble with the immobilizer antenna too. here's the thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648800

had to get the bike to the shop to get it fixed!
2010 Adventure 990 R
Suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,472
somehow, someway we need to figure out if we can fake out the ECU to solve this potential crippling problem... hmmm
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,436
If you know the frequency range of the key or just measure the antennas length you could make and keep a spare, the length is critical.
Anyone got a circuit diagram of the newer bikes, I wouldn’t have thought it would be that difficult to bypass the immobiliser and feed the ECC a dummy signal, just need a donor system to measure the immobilisers’ output.

I had to get a guy out to rectify and aftermarket immobiliser once, I was lost, shorted two wires and started the engine a quick as a thief.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
XX4me
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
While picking up the bike today I spent a bit of time at the parts counter inquiring about parts for various years. According to the parts guy the ECUs installed in the '08 and '09-'10s had the same number. Meaning that it might be possible to install an '08 into a later year thereby bypassing the immobilizer. Of course it would require the addition of the later year fuel map.
The only thing that left me questioning whether he and I were talking about the same part was he quoted the price at $220. That seemed awfully low to me for an ECU. He did say that the complete wiring harness for '08-'10 is the same, ergo the sensors ect are the same. For what it's worth one of the mechanics chimed in that KTM did things that way, meaning planned ahead by installing an extra connection pin when they built the harness for '08 to allow installation of the immobilizer feature in later models.
Looks like more research is needed.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
He is correct. Same ecu for '08 - 2011. The 2010 map has been loaded on '08's before with good results. This will eliminate the immobilizer. At least the '08 didn't look for it. If he has an ECU for that price grab it.
I've seem them for ~$560 -$590

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Not as easy as bypass

The signal from the immobilizer to the ECU is a CANbus communication rather than a simple ref voltage. The 2009-on ECUs can be flashed to remove the need to see immobilizer comms as I did accidentally with TuneBoy (but made a balls of the checksum so wouldn't reflash), so possibly there could a way to do this with TuneEcu if the programmers want to put the effort in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
If you know the frequency range of the key or just measure the antennas length you could make and keep a spare, the length is critical.
Anyone got a circuit diagram of the newer bikes, I wouldn’t have thought it would be that difficult to bypass the immobiliser and feed the ECC a dummy signal, just need a donor system to measure the immobilisers’ output.

I had to get a guy out to rectify and aftermarket immobiliser once, I was lost, shorted two wires and started the engine a quick as a thief.
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I asked Tuneboy a few weeks ago and they said no can do. Maybe if enough Inmates ask for it they will figure a way.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
Ball and Chain OP
Adventurer

Ktm have agreed to replace my ignition under warranty, but it's a short term solution

I need to get rid of the immobilizer
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I had the exact same problem, including the engine cutting out when fiddling with the wires. My first thought also was the immobilizer, since there was no wire damage visible, but after a lot of swearing and a ride on a towtruck (bastards blew my fork seals, but that's another story entirely...), it turned out to be a wiring break after all. Soldered an extension to the wires and have not had any troubles since.

Maybe worth a try?

That being said: I'm happy with the immobilizer, it gives me an extra safe feeling when I leave the bike unguarded.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master View Post
Soldered an extension to the wires and have not had any troubles since.
Pic??

So... so far all issues are down to wires breaking??
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Pic??

So... so far all issues are down to wires breaking??
Will see if I can take one tomorrow, but everything is wrapped in heatshrink and tape, so not much to be seen.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote