Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
How does the choke work on airhead bings?

Owners manual does not address this. I am used to manual chokes as found on classic cars/hot rods. Butterfly that restricts airflow thus making it richer that is adjustable from completely closed to completely open.

I know the bings dont use butterflies, its fuel passengers. Then realized that this may not be an adjustable setup. Are these only 3 positions (off, mid, all on choke) or are they graduatingly adjustable (is that a word)?

Does my question make sense? Not sure i am describing it very well.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,107
Its more like an enricher circuit. A separate circuit on the inboard side that essentially dumps lots o fuel past the idle inlet. Pretty sure. I would have to go peruse the Bing manual again to be sure of the particular pathway details, but its basically a fourth fuel metering circuit, used only at startup because it would flood the thing otherwise.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply, I got that much..but guess I didnt describe my question very well.

If off is 1, middle is 2, all on is 3, can i set it at say 2.5 in the controls travel? Or is it only a 3 position setup?
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Set it where ya want, there may be three holes but there are no notches. Once you've used it a time or two, your bike will tell you what works best for the initial fire. In the cold I crank mine on all the way, warmer whether is about 1/2.

Just remember to turn them off a few blocks down the road, as it is just a starting assist, not a "make a cold engine run better" like on a car.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,107
Weell, ok paraphrasing the bing book, the slide type carbs had a plunger assembly that let a predetermined combustible air/fuel ratio to enter the carb throat. THe CV carbs are similar but use a rotary valve instead, and the mix is varied by lever position.

Doesnt specifically say there are three positions, although you can feel detentes.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah can feel the detentes. Was not sure if there were passages that it lined up, so if you were not on the detentes it was blocking the flow of fuel to the enricher circuits. Since it does not say anywhere specifically "use settings at detentes" I would guess its trimable (again, is that a word?). BMW is pretty good at not leaving you guessing on stuff.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,340
I thought is was an air thingy allowing more air into the carburetor without using the slide/slide needle.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I thought is was an air thingy allowing more air into the carburetor without using the slide/slide needle.
More air is the opposite of what you want. When its cold, you are richening up the mixture so it will run.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
More air is the opposite of what you want. When its cold, you are richening up the mixture so it will run.
So does fuel run through the choke body? I thought it allowed more air in to pull fuel it from the idle circuit.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So does fuel run through the choke body? I thought it allowed more air in to pull fuel it from the idle circuit.
I dont know, I have not had the choke circuit apart yet!

The only thing I can figure is there is a circuit in there that opens a passage to allow more fuel in that is engaged when you turn the choke on. Please someone of knowledge correct me!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,230
Quote:
It's not more air, it's some of the air. More air would require larger displacement, more rpm, or something along those lines. The side tracked air is used to pull up fuel from the enricher jet in addition to what is being pulled up through the idle circuit.

I forgot to answer that yes, the gas is pulled up into the enricher body and then with the air that pulled the fuel up goes into the carb throat via that big hole just in front of the throttle plate. It's the same air that was going to get there anyway but now it has a lot more gas in it.

supershaft screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 08:31 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Yeah can feel the detentes. Was not sure if there were passages that it lined up, so if you were not on the detentes it was blocking the flow of fuel to the enricher circuits. Since it does not say anywhere specifically "use settings at detentes" I would guess its trimable (again, is that a word?). BMW is pretty good at not leaving you guessing on stuff.

I think it is "trimmable" too. If not, in between the detents would take you back to zero, right? I feather mine as the bike warms up; unless of course I don't; at which point, I pull up to stop light and start cursing about "those damned airleaking carb tubes", because my idle is so high.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,157
Yep, redirected air

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
It's not more air, it's some of the air. More air would require larger displacement, more rpm, or something along those lines. The side tracked air is used to pull up fuel from the enricher jet in addition to what is being pulled up through the idle circuit.

I forgot to answer that yes, the gas is pulled up into the enricher body and then with the air that pulled the fuel up goes into the carb throat via that big hole just in front of the throttle plate. It's the same air that was going to get there anyway but now it has a lot more gas in it.
Glad SS took the time to type it out.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,834
It's like a mini carburetor piggybacked to the main one. That's why it's strictly called an enrichener circuit rather than choke.

It pulls fuel up from the float bowl through that brass tube in the corner. If the bowl gasket is compromised, an air leak will result along with loss of suction.

When the butterfly is closed, there's no venturi effect to draw fuel through the main carb jets, so there's a bypass circuit through the enrichener. That's the large opening in the carb throat entrance, and you can see it's pointed right at the enrichener. From there it exits on the engine side of the butterfly.

And yes, it will flow more fuel as the lever is gradually opened and none when closed (blocking off all air flow through that system).
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, gotcha!

Sounds like we got that all worked out!

Calling it an enriching circuit makes more sense now that I got how it works. Thanks for taking the time to educate me (and anyone else that stumbles along to this)
Quote:
Quote: