Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #151
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Tin foil or the clear foil on cigeratte packages can be inserted between the points, they fall out instantly when something is moving.

Yeah sure, it's possibly more precise with the instruments you use now, but it is still a 40 year old bike, with points.
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #152
dblacknj
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
You may hate me more after you see the boots he passed on to me as well:

Gee whiz I'm getting old. I bought these same boots in 1972.
I found them in the "Aldens" catalog, similar to a Sears Catalog.
Gave my mother the money and she ordered them.

Took the heel off the very first day. I had seen enough pictures of
Aldof Weil, Joel Robert and Roger Decoster to know that real mxers
had flat sole boots. At the moment my boots are somewhere up in the attic...
I was in 14 and in 8th grade.

dlb
Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #153
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Hell, my buddy Rick and I still wear ours on a regular basis!
Attached Images

lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #154
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
any updates on the Matador? I need some inspiration. I have a stalled m-26 refurb, as well as an m-26 trials conversion waiting in the wings. A third m-26 came up for sale not far from here. Hate to have to let it pass by...
GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #155
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Guess I'll put this in here as well, seeing that it is cranked. The points were the issue ;)

Now that is a funky retro looking video. Whoever did that knew how to handle a camera. Love the depth of field and HDR look.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #156
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Now that is a funky retro looking video. Whoever did that knew how to handle a camera. Love the depth of field and HDR look.
Hahah, thanks. I made it.

No progress currently. It runs (just rough) but I have a lot on my hands with fixing the r90, riding it and buying my first home.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650

blaine.hale screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 08:44 AM
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #157
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
Guys, after years and years of waiting....I finally have a shop with a work bench.
What does this mean for ya'll??
Well, you guys get to see the Matador torn down, and blasted frame up! The engine is done...so not much to do there. I'm half tempted to split the cases again and get them re-chromed but I'm going to actually ride this bike soooo I don't care. Womp womp.
Fred, Jenna, Brad, Len....any of ya'll want to come over one night and pull some pieces off and help catalogue parts? I'll see if I can't arrange proper drinks :)
I've got a painter that will do all my parts for about $65 if I blast and prime them for him. He's in Augusta and just did my dads 76 Husky WR 250.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #158
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
[QUOTE=blaine.hale;16293738]That was pre-tune up video ;)
The just got it excitement.

Tried to time and crank the matador, lost my spark again, got pissed and decided beach vacation this weekend will do me a world of good.
It gets spark when I file the points...so I may replace em.[/QUOTE

I used to have a five speed Matador, bought it new back in my bike shop days, one interesting feature of the wire harness was the grounding of the ignition system through the brake light switch. The switch was normally grounded, when you pushed on the pedal the switch would open and the ignition would seek ground through the brake light filiment, causing the bulb to light up. Due to Bultaco's superior method of mounting the tail light to the alloy rear fender, you took the tail light off to ride in the brush (if you didn't, it would fall off in a few days anyway) and everytime the brake was used the system lost ground. At higher rpms it didn't matter much but at idle speeds the bike would just die. A proper ground connection instead of the brake light switch and it worked a whole lot better.
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #159
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
[QUOTE=mike in idaho;18361637]
Quote:
That was pre-tune up video ;)
The just got it excitement.

Tried to time and crank the matador, lost my spark again, got pissed and decided beach vacation this weekend will do me a world of good.
It gets spark when I file the points...so I may replace em.[/QUOTE

I used to have a five speed Matador, bought it new back in my bike shop days, one interesting feature of the wire harness was the grounding of the ignition system through the brake light switch. The switch was normally grounded, when you pushed on the pedal the switch would open and the ignition would seek ground through the brake light filiment, causing the bulb to light up. Due to Bultaco's superior method of mounting the tail light to the alloy rear fender, you took the tail light off to ride in the brush (if you didn't, it would fall off in a few days anyway) and everytime the brake was used the system lost ground. At higher rpms it didn't matter much but at idle speeds the bike would just die. A proper ground connection instead of the brake light switch and it worked a whole lot better.

Ground the green wire.

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #160
cornwallis
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hi guys i'm new here and i noticed a bultaco thread. i just got done with mine and i would like to know what you guys think. oh and do you guys know what kind of air filter it takes. thank you
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...94142013_o.jpg
cornwallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #161
cornwallis
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageRat View Post
any updates on the Matador? I need some inspiration. I have a stalled m-26 refurb, as well as an m-26 trials conversion waiting in the wings. A third m-26 came up for sale not far from here. Hate to have to let it pass by...
hi guys i'm new here . but i just got done with my bultaco matador. have a look and tell me what you guys think. oh can you guys tell me what kind of air filter will work of this bike. thank you

cornwallis screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 12:04 AM Reason: forgot some thing
cornwallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #162
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,502
Quote:
Pulled the seat, tank, airbox, carb, foot pegs, exhaust. The engine is ready to come out but there is a wire feeding through the frame and up into the left case. I need to either run a string and pull that cable out or pop the magneto off to pull the cables on the engine side. Don't have a puller for it just yet, though =\

Ps: I think carbs are works of art.

If you need any Amal parts let me know, as Amal are just down the road from me...

And I suppose I should show you this, my new limited edition Bultaco helmet...

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #163
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,502
And here is a funny thing, I just got a friend a "free" Bultaco 350 Sammy Miller highboy trials bike at the weekend.. well you have to keep the good vibes going

And with any luck, the new owner won't sell it on ebay like Bantam trials bike I gave away
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #164
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
This thread brings back memories. I bought a used 68 Bultaco Matador in 1970 for $390.00 (it was completely stock). One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Rode it for 7 years, sold it to my brother. He rode for several years then sold it to a friend. If I remember correctly 68 was the first year of the straingt finned head and five speed gearbox.

I put on a Mikuni carb and that made it much easier to start. Changed the top triple clamp, handlebars, shocks, air filter, fenders, headlight, tail light and a bunch of other bits. Typical stuff that readers of "Dirt Bike" did to make their bike "better".

The points ignition was tricky to set up. A dial indicator on the piston was used to scribe a reference mark on the cases and flywheel. The points gap was then done through the flywheel slots. Then the timing was checked for when the points opened. If it was off, then the flywheel got pulled in order to rotate the stator plate. Then it was reinstall and recheck the point gap and timing. Repeat as needed until correct.

OP did you get the secondary muffler in the spares box? These were almost always removed and I bet it would be really tough to find one. Sure made for a quiet bike.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #165
Jeffn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Seems only appropo to post my new 2 moi Mk4 Matador obtained Friday:

Jeffn is offline   Reply With Quote