ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
tranferring google maps route into garmin?

I'm turning to the experts here since my attempts to figure this out have fallen short (more than once). How can I transfer a ROUTE in Google Maps into my Garmin 2610, or any model for that matter?

Let's assume that autorouting in GM may not yield the same route as Garmin Mapsource (or Road Trip, which is what I use on a Mac), so it is more complicated than just using the same endpoints. Let's also assume that the GM route was created by a series of drag/edit steps.

I suppose bi-directional transfers are of interest also, but mostly it comes down to having a route in Google Maps and wanting to ride it.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,926
Here is a short video on how to transfer Google Maps to a Garmin Gps. Linked because it auto plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1x-fL2zc

Also see: http://my.garmin.com/locate/google-sendtoGPSHelp.htm

The following tutorial is easy. Just save the file as a .gpx file. If you for some reason want in .gdb format open the converted file in MapSource and do a "save as" .gdb file.

• Create a new Map in Google Maps. For this, click on My Maps:
  • Then click on “Create new map”. Put a suitable name to your map:
  • Now you can add placemarks, either by searching for them, or by right clicking and selecting “Add a placemark” anywhere in the map. The added placemarks for the map will show up on the left side:
  • After all the placemarks/waypointshave been added, get the link for your saved map. You can get the link from the top right corner:
  • Then go to http://www.takitwithme.com/ and insert the Google Map link into the textbox. Click “Load MyMap” and TakeItWithMe will load all the placemarks from your Google Map.
  • Click on the Download GPX button, and you should be able to save all the Google Placemarks as a .gpx file. This .gpx file can be converted into different GPS formats. In our case, we need to convert it to a .gpx format.
  • For Windows users, you can use the POI Loader directly to load the GPX file into your Garmin GPS. Or, you can save the file to your desktop and drag it into the right pane of MapSource.
  • For Linux users, the GPX file needs to be converted into GPI format, and manually loaded. For this, use gpsbabel.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 03:18 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Advdave
Toolbox Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
That will transfer an address, but can you transfer a ROUTE from Google Maps to the GPS? Trying what's on the video link, only the destination address is moved to the GPS.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
If you use dualsportmaps.com to draw your map, then it will turn it into a GPX file for you. That makes doing the transfer easy enough I think. If you make updates in mapsource, you can upload the GPX file back into dualsportmaps. I designed the drawing tools to suit the way I like to draw maps on google though. It takes a little getting used to. For example, it you want to draw a track that follows a road, you draw a line from the start point to the end point, then you add all the points you think are needed and then tell it to snap the line to the road. I found that the constant snapping caused a lot of unnecessary sluggishness. Plus for long maps with a lot of edits google would just cut me off which was annoying as well.

Instruction video
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advdave View Post
That will transfer an address, but can you transfer a ROUTE from Google Maps to the GPS? Trying what's on the video link, only the destination address is moved to the GPS.
Yes,it will do that. Try the tutorial. Or as CRAFTYCODER said use his website it works beautifully. I have 6 or 7 maps stored for sharing there.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,746
This question gets brought up so often it should be a sticky.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

If you post a link to your route, I can show you how it works.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
This question gets brought up so often it should be a sticky.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

If you post a link to your route, I can show you how it works.

Jamie
It's a deal... link to route here

Is it ok that i 'borrowed' that route from here?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,708
Is there a way to get a .gpx file into Google Maps? Other than "GPSvisualizer"?

I use Mapsource exclusively to generate routes. Would like to share them with my GPS-challenged friends.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
It's a deal...
I may have to eat crow. I'm not sure.

Instructions:

Go here to install GMaptoGPX in your browser. It's easiest with Firefox. You simply drag a bookmark to your favorites. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

I opened up your route in my browser. Note my favorites bar at the top and "GMaptoGPX."

Click on the GMaptoGPX favorite brings up this screen:

Copy the text in the field:

Open up Notepad and paste the text.

Save the file.

Change the Encoding to UTF-8 and the file type to "All Files". Also, you need to manually add the ".gpx" to the end of your filename.

Open it up in Mapsource.

Here's where I had a problem. You can see in MapSource your route is a little wonky. I've never had that happen. I did a bit of investigating to figure out why, and I don't know what it is. I thought it might be because it's a loop and your starting and ending points are the same, so I tried deleting your endpoint without any success. It might be because you have a combination of destination points as well as drag-and-drop points, though I've done that in the past without trouble.

The truth is, I'm not sure why your Google Maps route didn't work as expected. I've used this program numerous times and it has worked as it should every time.

Sorry man. Don't know why it came out like that, but my instructions are still valid.

Jamie

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I may have to eat crow. I'm not sure.

Here's where I had a problem. You can see in MapSource your route is a little wonky. I've never had that happen. I did a bit of investigating to figure out why, and I don't know what it is. I thought it might be because it's a loop and your starting and ending points are the same, so I tried deleting your endpoint without any success. It might be because you have a combination of destination points as well as drag-and-drop points, though I've done that in the past without trouble.

The truth is, I'm not sure why your Google Maps route didn't work as expected. I've used this program numerous times and it has worked as it should every time.

Sorry man. Don't know why it came out like that, but my instructions are still valid.

Jamie
Hey Jamie,
Thanks for doing that. I did the same last night (on a Mac, so using Road Trip instead of Mapsource), and got the same results. You saved me the time of trying it out on a PC.

Anyway, what i saw imported were about 5 separate routes, just as you are showing. They seem to just be waypoints connected with straight lines... no recalulating yet. Just take ALL of the routes and bring them into a single NEW route, then tell it to "recalculate route". It all then snaps to the roads!

Those extra steps are a bit tedious if you're doing a lot of this, so it would be nice if it just worked, but at least I now have a path to get there.

Thanks again!!

sonic578 screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 06:55 AM
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
They seem to just be waypoints connected with straight lines... no recalulating yet. Just take ALL of the routes and bring them into a single NEW route, then tell it to "recalculate route". It all then snaps to the roads!
I actually prefer to leave the straight lines and let the GPS calculate the route. If you calculate the route in MapSource and then send it to the GPS, you lose the option to reverse the route. At least on my 478.

Jamie

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I actually prefer to leave the straight lines and let the GPS calculate the route. If you calculate the route in MapSource and then send it to the GPS, you lose the option to reverse the route. At least on my 478.

Jamie
Good point, but in this case you at least need to group the disconnected routes together... but avoiding recalc should be possible at that point.

I wonder if any of the other methods mentioned above solve this issue of multiple routes?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
will this same approach work for a Garmin Quest? I made a track in Google Maps and cant seem to figure out how to get it into my quest.

GPS noob
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
will this same approach work for a Garmin Quest? I made a track in Google Maps and cant seem to figure out how to get it into my quest.

GPS noob
Does the Quest have a base map installed? Do you have Mapsource on your computer?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
aschendel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thread revival time, hope that's ok.

I did Google Maps to KML (saved your linked map to my maps then gmaps gives a link to the KML), downloaded that then ran that file through GPS Visualizer to get to a GPX file, then opened that in Mapsource, seems to have perfect tracks. I did delete the end point to start with, although if the duplicated point causes trouble you should be able to make an end-point right next to your start point that was just a tiny bit different. Anyhow, once you get to GPX tracks you should be able to use GPS Babel or the WinGDB tool to move from tracks to routes, right?

Hope this helps,

Andy
Attached Images

aschendel is offline   Reply With Quote