ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,209
There are Lincoln NF maps uploaded as well.
I agree, a lot of maps are not as well described as we would like. You can leave notes in the comments to help clarify things the the poster ignored though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Yes I saw them. I assume you are referring to the Cibola NF maps. Very nice.

BTW I still love your site and try to check it out every couple of days to see what's new. I have passed the link onto to many others, and most really like it (at least those who are into mapping and such).

It would be awfully nice if contributors would put a little more descriptive info into their uploads about where a track is. The map search feature makes this noncritical but I would still like it.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #32
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
OK, I called Garmin yesterday and talked to a very sweet young woman for hours it seemed. I told her what my problem was, GPSwise that is and asked why????....augh!
She said no problem, let me hook mine up as we speak! It seems they have a collection of all GPS's within arms length to plug in as they diagnos the problem with you to help you understand the solution button by button commands.
The NUVI 500 and NUVI 550 can receive routes from MapQuest with a single click of the mouse, send, GPS...done....she did it. and I could see how she was doing it on my GPS. But for some reason my PC won't allow the maps to be transferred as her's was allowing. It recognized the GPS as a harddrive etc, but wouldn't deposit the map into it. She got me to do some simple tests and it seems that my PC won't allow only MayQuest to do as it should. The GPS acts like it's supposed to from what we were doing, and will accept the route if it's given it.

So....long story ----short....the NUVI 500 and NUVI 550 will accept routes. They are both motorcycle friendly and waterproof. Which means Garmin will cover any vibration or water damages....just don't do as I did and try and take it apart before sending it back for servicing......augh!

Now I will call MapQuest and deal with them possibly tomorrow if my headache has gone by then.....augh! The woman from Garmin couldn't have been more helpfull if she tried! Perfect customer service. She was determined to help and figure out my issue, trying everything possible to solve the problem.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #33
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
The best and easiest Google maps track maker and to gpx converter!

How easy can it be...
Kudos for the person who made this tool!

http://users.telenet.be/meirenwi/DrawRoute.html

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #34
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]The best and easiest Google maps track maker and to gpx converter!
Have you used my software? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n5ls7-rBkA
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #35
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Hey Jamie,
Thanks for doing that. I did the same last night (on a Mac, so using Road Trip instead of Mapsource), and got the same results. You saved me the time of trying it out on a PC.

Anyway, what i saw imported were about 5 separate routes, just as you are showing. They seem to just be waypoints connected with straight lines... no recalulating yet. Just take ALL of the routes and bring them into a single NEW route, then tell it to "recalculate route". It all then snaps to the roads!

Those extra steps are a bit tedious if you're doing a lot of this, so it would be nice if it just worked, but at least I now have a path to get there.

Thanks again!!
Well motherfugder.....

I spent countless hours trying to figureout how to get the routes to snap to the road

I have been using the web site RidewithGPS to plan my rides and it has a gpx converting funtion, now I can use the files and not spend even more hours to program the route into the GPS manually.

Thanks all!!!
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #36
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post

How easy can it be...
Kudos for the person who made this tool!

http://users.telenet.be/meirenwi/DrawRoute.html
That looks very promising ... anybody try it out yet?
It looks like it builds a series of waypoints which the Garmin (or whatever) would convert to a route by picking the closest roads?
I really have no experience with this as yet.....

I was at a show recently and there was a guy there from Twisted Throttle that is a 1/2-way RTW guy ...
He said he used “My Map Maker” or “My Map Making” or something like that ....
He apologized for not knowing it exactly ... he didn't have his laptop with him....
I have been unable to find the app. he was talking about, but it was the same objective...
Load a Google Maps route into a Garmin GPS.
Does that one ring any bells with folks?

THANKS!

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 08:15 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #37
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

BaseCamp? KML / KMZ file?

Here's what I think I understand ...

BaseCamp is apparently Garmin's replacement for MapSource

In the specs. for BaseCamp it says it can import KML & KMZ files starting with V3.3.1

Google Maps can export a map to KML format if you first save the route to "My Maps" ...

Does this make us good?

(I have Nuvi 500 if it matters)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,593
Hmmmm.. tried both sites listed above, and can't figure out how to draw on the maps. Maybe it's because I don't read Russian, which is what I think the characters are. No toolbar up top, so I can't click on a tool.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #39
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Hmmmm.. tried both sites listed above, and can't figure out how to draw on the maps. Maybe it's because I don't read Russian, which is what I think the characters are. No toolbar up top, so I can't click on a tool.

1911fan
Hey 1911fan ... I kinda had it working but right now it does seem a bit hosed........
There is another thread over here that is worth reading:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818182

H-D has an on-line tool that is more clever than the above (IMHO), and a new version of BaseCamp is comming out soon........
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #40
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,593
Thanks, better now and I can figure out how it works.

I am trying to map out routes on Forest Circus roads, and by the time I get zoomed in enough to show them, it's such a small area that trying to connect the dots is hard to do because you can't see the start and the finish of your route. For example, Stampede Pass to Hwy 410, overland instead of pavement.

How are you guys doing this?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
This thread has been very informative as I wait for my Zumo 660 to arrive. My question is if I create a route with any of the various methods described here, say with dualsportmaps.com, will the route have enough points on it to prevent the auto recalculating I hear ruins your routes while on the road? I only have a few days to use the 660 before heading of on a trip and would like to get a couple of routes loaded up to try before the trip.

Ben
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #42
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
This thread has been very informative as I wait for my Zumo 660 to arrive. My question is if I create a route with any of the various methods described here, say with dualsportmaps.com, will the route have enough points on it to prevent the auto recalculating I hear ruins your routes while on the road? I only have a few days to use the 660 before heading of on a trip and would like to get a couple of routes loaded up to try before the trip.

Ben
The 660 has some nice features that I was recently working through. Here are a few notes I made for myself. Hope these are helpful. To your specific question about tracks (see 3.3 below), they can be imported as routes (which are recalculated on your zumo), or, as tracks which come in exactly as they were which is a sequence of points. Your choice.

Basecamp:
  1. Folders can contain "Lists" - lists are what can be sent to the device
  2. Beta 4.x supports deleting items from the device
  3. When you send a LIST to the device that contains routes, waypoints and tracks, the following show where those items end up:
    1. WAYPOINTS end up in 2 places:
      1. WHERE TO > FAVORITES (heart): WAYPOINTS show up under the name of the LIST in BASECAMP; this is in the GPS device
      2. TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA > FAVORITES: list of all WAYPOINTS ready for import, 1 at a time or all at once; no list name used (SD card)
    2. ROUTES only go to 1 place:
      1. TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA > ROUTES: list of all ROUTES that were in BASECAMP LIST, ready for import into device (SD card)
    3. TRACKS show up on SD card in 2 places, ready for import:
      1. TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA > TRIP LOGS: tracks imported from here will become routes, which are calculated upon import and end up in CUSTOM ROUTES.
        CUSTOM ROUTES appear under TOOLS and under WHERE TO. You can navigate on a ROUTE with the GO menu, which shows up in either case.
      2. TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA >OFF ROAD TRACKS: tracks imported from here will show up as tracks in the following location: TOOLS > OFF ROAD TRACKS
        Because it is a TRACK under TOOLS, you cannot navigate to it. You can show it on the map, and maybe watch your location, but cannot navigate.
  4. Menu structure:

TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA
    1. FAVORITES - contains all waypoints that were in the list, without the list name
    2. ROUTES - contains routes from the list
    3. TRIP LOGS - contains tracks from the list (see also #4 below), which will import as ROUTES into CUSTOM ROUTES under TOOLS and under WHERE TO
    4. OFF ROAD TRACKS - contains same list of tracks as #3, which will import as TRACKS into TOOLS > OFF ROAD TRACKS
    5. PICTURES
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #43
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
    1. TRACKS show up on SD card in 2 places, ready for import:
      1. TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA > TRIP LOGS: tracks imported from here will become routes, which are calculated upon import and end up in CUSTOM ROUTES.
        CUSTOM ROUTES appear under TOOLS and under WHERE TO. You can navigate on a ROUTE with the GO menu, which shows up in either case.
      2. TOOLS > MY DATA > IMPORT DATA >OFF ROAD TRACKS: tracks imported from here will show up as tracks in the following location: TOOLS > OFF ROAD TRACKS
        Because it is a TRACK under TOOLS, you cannot navigate to it. You can show it on the map, and maybe watch your location, but cannot navigate.
Thanks, Sonic578.

If I understand your outline correctly, 3.3.1 is what I am looking to do, but will the 660 still recalculate the track that is converted to a route or will it leave it as is?

I have been reading about messing with outside software and websites and it seems to me you still need to use basecamp to add additional waypoints to a route created with google to be sure it does not route you around the back roads you picked and onto highways. But, If I am understanding your method this may not be true?

This will all likely make more sense when I play with it...

Thanks,
Ben
Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #44
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
Thanks, Sonic578.

If I understand your outline correctly, 3.3.1 is what I am looking to do, but will the 660 still recalculate the track that is converted to a route or will it leave it as is?

I have been reading about messing with outside software and websites and it seems to me you still need to use basecamp to add additional waypoints to a route created with google to be sure it does not route you around the back roads you picked and onto highways. But, If I am understanding your method this may not be true?

This will all likely make more sense when I play with it...

Thanks,
Ben
Ben,
In 3.3.1 you are starting with a track, so when you import the process of converting to a route will involve recalculating. Actually, maybe a better term here is "calculating" since the track is only a series of points, not a route.

The place where REcalculating can occur is in step 3.2.1. If you have a route that was created in Basecamp, but your GPS device map is a different version from what is in Basecamp, then your device will want to recalculate when you import. Which is why it is a good idea, when updating maps, to choose the option to install the new map on both the PC and the gps device.

And yes, playing around when you get the 660 is the best way to sort this out. As you see, I'm still working through it. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #45
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

I spent a bunch of time last night using google maps, converting them to gpx files with the website takitwithme. I thought I had success. The route came into basecamp and I saw a ton of points on the route that appeared to keep it from wanting to re-reoute. Then tried to upload it to the 660. FAIL. Too many via points. Speaking of that why does garmin call it a via point on the unit and waypoints in basecamp? Anyway, I could see I had a lot of points and am not surprised it failed. I am surprised that none of the threads here mention about too many points with the google way. I thought it would be easy smeasy.

Will I get different results with a track? That is one thing I am not sure I did. It was late and I was mad. I did use Takitwithme to make a track gpx then imported it to the garmin, but same viapoints error. I am trying to map out about 6 hours of riding, but did try a smaller route that was only a hour with the same failure.

I tried to use basecamp and what a mess that thing is. The tutorials paint the picture as just click and make a route. OK if you know exactly where you want to go and you do it just right. I ended up with the thing wanting to take different roads than I picked, then when I tried to add shaping points it made loops and backtracks. For me I am going to a new place and wanted to enter a start and end point then drag the route to modify it... just like google. Why is that so hard?

Help!

munsonbw screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 05:04 AM