ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #61
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
If I understand you correctly, Microsoft Street & Trips (ST) has "Optimize Route" option. I used it while planning my route, but the only major thing I noticed was that the route was planned clockwise vs the original plan. For example, the original plan was to travel from Ohio to Maine via Connecticut and return home via Niagara Falls and ST "optimized" it so that I go to Maine via Niagara and return home via CT. Granted, I didn't pay too much attention to times (not sure if you're familiar with the program, but it does calculate the times between each stop/waypoint for you).
Yes, the time calculation is one of the sticking points with the newer versions. You get a choice of slow, normal, fast, really fast or some such nonsense. You used to be able to specify a speed for segments.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #62
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Here's some input from another inmate ---

Hope that helps.

jdg

So ... calling on the power of Google ...

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=395171

I read this thread and maybe the answer is MSST which I agree seems a pretty clever tool, and then open/save the GPX files in Tyre to clean up the busted stuff....

Silly Microsoft ..........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #63
hobieorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
A simple method

I have released today a Firefox extension that will save a Google Maps route to a Garmin very easily. It is available for testing here: http://clients.teksavvy.com/~hobie/routerat. It has been tested successfully on a nuvi 1450, but no other models.
It is also linked in the list at the top of this forum. Send me some feedback if you have problems.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #64
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieorris View Post
I have released today a Firefox extension that will save a Google Maps route to a Garmin very easily. It is available for testing here: http://clients.teksavvy.com/~hobie/routerat. It has been tested successfully on a nuvi 1450, but no other models.
It is also linked in the list at the top of this forum. Send me some feedback if you have problems.
Hobie:
Thanks ... this sounds quite awesome!
Alas I am on a business trip without my GPS so won't be able to try it till I get back home

Because of all the security problems surrounding Java a few months back, I just uninstalled Java from my machine.

I reckon I'll have to re-install it to get javascript support so that Route Rat will work?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #65
hobieorris
Adventurer

Understandably, there is confusion between "Java" and "Javascript". You may uninstall Java from your machine, but Javascrirpt is built into your browser (no matter which one you use), so it can't be uninstalled.
You may switch Javascript off to be more secure, but most modern websites require that it be on, so in practice, everyone leaves it on. You may use a blocker like NoScript, which allows you to selectively turn it on for sites you trust if you are cautious. Anyway, Route Rat requires Javascript, but not Java. It also requires the Garmin browser plugin, which I suspect everyone installs in order to update their maps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Hobie:
Thanks ... this sounds quite awesome!
Alas I am on a business trip without my GPS so won't be able to try it till I get back home

Because of all the security problems surrounding Java a few months back, I just uninstalled Java from my machine.

I reckon I'll have to re-install it to get javascript support so that Route Rat will work?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #66
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I use Tyre. Utilizes Google maps and saves in. Gpx format. Transfers easily to Garmon. Also can save in itn format and others.
Free program. Google Tyre Motorcycle.

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Understandably, there is confusion between "Java" and "Javascript". You may uninstall Java from your machine, but Javascrirpt is built into your browser (no matter which one you use), so it can't be uninstalled.
You may switch Javascript off to be more secure, but most modern websites require that it be on, so in practice, everyone leaves it on. You may use a blocker like NoScript, which allows you to selectively turn it on for sites you trust if you are cautious. Anyway, Route Rat requires Javascript, but not Java. It also requires the Garmin browser plugin, which I suspect everyone installs in order to update their maps, etc.
Thanks Hobie!
Now....... I understand
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #68
hobieorris
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod1 View Post
I use Tyre. Utilizes Google maps and saves in. Gpx format. Transfers easily to Garmon. Also can save in itn format and others.
Free program. Google Tyre Motorcycle.

Rod
Tyre is a nice program; it has flexibility and numerous features, none of which I care about. It has some things I don't like: it is either paid for, or adware, and it is a desktop application embedding Internet Explorer, which makes Google Maps run slower than it does in a browser.
I wanted to do all the route planning in Google Maps and then just save it with a title, and I wanted to do that in a browser without running a separate application. If it is freedom from ads or payment and utter simplicity you crave, then use Route Rat.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #69
SCutchins
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
I used your program to attempt to upload a route to a 2595LMT I bought yesterday. The 24XX was listed as having routes so I figured the 25XX would also.

Some of the waypoints downloaded, it seems about half of them, then the route seems to just double back on itself instead of continuing on for the big loop route that I created.

Any idea why it is doing this? In Google Maps it shows the correct route.
SCutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #70
hobieorris
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCutchins View Post
I used your program to attempt to upload a route to a 2595LMT I bought yesterday. The 24XX was listed as having routes so I figured the 25XX would also.

Some of the waypoints downloaded, it seems about half of them, then the route seems to just double back on itself instead of continuing on for the big loop route that I created.

Any idea why it is doing this? In Google Maps it shows the correct route.
Can you open it again in Route Rat, copy all the text in the lower box and send it to me? I will take a look at it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #71
SCutchins
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Can you open it again in Route Rat, copy all the text in the lower box and send it to me? I will take a look at it.
Private message sent, thanks for the help!
SCutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #72
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,690
Alright, it's been 5 hours of fucking around already!

I made my route in Google maps,
I figured out how to make it a gpx file,
I have figured out how to send it to my computer and save it,
I have figured out how to open it in stupid Mapsource.

What I can't do is convert it from a series of waypoints in "tracks" to "route"

I think I'm almost there.................HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #73
sonic578 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post

I've forgotten the details of Mapsource (like a bad dream). In Basecamp you can right-click on a track and you get the option to "convert to route". I"m sure it can't be that simple in Mapsource, or you wouldn't be pulling your hair out right now?

Maybe consider migrating to Basecamp... I don't think Mapsource is supported any longer (which means, it is "stable" and all future updates will be to Basecamp).

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #74
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
i am prolly way of here but if you have a google map cant you save it or export it as a KML file then gps babel or similar to convert to gpx? refer here
Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #75
hobieorris
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post

Look further up in this thread. You can save it using Route Rat in about 30 seconds.