Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 774
great stuff and stuff. havn't been boppin around that area for a long time. your pics make me want to head back up. thanks for the rr

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,804
NICE.

That sure is a bright orange bike!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Just come with me next time

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
If you've been to Canada you know about Timmie's

Do we know Timmie's,, may I add it is the best thing since "sliced bread". Wife and I left here for the Peg, Winnie, on the RT last June to see grand daughter. Our first stop on the up side of the border was Timmie. When we left a week later we knew we had choices, head straight back to ND or go as far west on # 2 before turning left to ND. We pictured many Timmie's along the #2 route.

We looked for Timmie's all the way to Weyburn where we finally found the first and last one for us on this trip.. Withdrawal after that, turned south into ND.

Great RR Cowgirl, keep us smiling.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
LumpTheBeezu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Gorgeous bike! (Yep, I'm biased!!) Following your report, and anxious for the next installment! Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Excellent stuff--planning on riding BC this summer, and am interested to see your routes and nifty spots. Glad you returned to camping!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,800
I arrived at the Provincial Park at Rathtrevor Beach around 6 pm and cruised the campground looking for the perfect spot to set up camp. All but 4 of the sites were vacant so I had lots to choose from. It quickly became apparent that I was missing an essential piece of kit - the giant tarp suspended from the trees over the campsite. Hmmmm, guess I should start a list of still required equipment.

I pulled into a secluded spot next to the trail to the beach and in a surprisingly short time had erected the tent, blown up Big Agnes and had the sleeping bag and pillow tucked in the tent with her. As I gazed around my camp I realized that panic had not yet set in. This camping thing might just be doable after all!

Then it was off to Parksville for a quick dinner and to pick up some firewood. After I got back it didn't take long before I had a cheery little fire going and was busily chatting with my friends on the iPad. What? You didn't think I was going to abandon all the trappings of civilization did you? There are limits after all. I couldn't possibly go a whole day without checking in on ADV

After a while I realized it was getting pretty chilly so I decided it was bedtime. I crawled into the tent and zipped closed the door. My heartrate remained steady. I slipped off my boots, stripped down to my longjohns and snuggled down into the sleeping bag. I was still able to breathe. Twenty-eight years later the demons finally seemed at rest. I relaxed and soon drifted off to sleep lulled by the barking of sea lions and the crying of gulls.

And two hours later I was awake. It was darn cold! No matter, I put on another layer of thermal underwear and went back to snoozing. An hour later I was again freezing. A hoodie and another pair of socks was added to the layers. For the next 3 hours I was awake much more than I was asleep. I was learning a valuable lesson - a sleeping bag rated for an extreme of 0C to 3C doesn't do very well at 2C. At that point I decided further sleep was a fruitless quest. At least it was a chance to try out the stove. A few minutes later I was armed with a mug of lovely hot coffee. It felt positively decadent. I wandered down to the beach to watch the sunrise.

It took considerably longer to break camp than it had taken to set it up but eventually I had everything packed back into the original configuration. I took that as quite an accomplishment - you know how seldom that happens!

I forgot to take a picture while everything was set up. You get the idea.

A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 08:25 PM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #23
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,929

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #24
drsales
Wondering Why

Oddometer: 381
I swear that sun rises are the best! Keep it coming you are doing fine.
drsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #25
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I arrived at the Provincial Park at Rathtrevor Beach around 6 pm and cruised the campground looking for the perfect spot to set up camp. All but 4 of the sites were vacant so I had lots to choose from. It quickly became apparent that I was missing an essential piece of kit - the giant tarp suspended from the trees over the campsite. Hmmmm, guess I should start a list of still required equipment.

I pulled into a secluded spot next to the trail to the beach and in a surprisingly short time had erected the tent, blown up Big Agnes and had the sleeping bag and pillow tucked in the tent with her. As I gazed around my camp I realized that panic had not yet set in. This camping thing might just be doable after all!

Then it was off to Parksville for a quick dinner and to pick up some firewood. After I got back it didn't take long before I had a cheery little fire going and was busily chatting with my friends on the iPad. What? You didn't think I was going to abandon all the trappings of civilization did you? There are limits after all. I couldn't possibly go a whole day without checking in on ADV

After a while I realized it was getting pretty chilly so I decided it was bedtime. I crawled into the tent and zipped closed the door. My heartrate remained steady. I slipped off my boots, stripped down to my longjohns and snuggled down into the sleeping bag. I was still able to breathe. Twenty-eight years later the demons finally seemed at rest. I relaxed and soon drifted off to sleep lulled by the barking of sea lions and the crying of gulls.

And two hours later I was awake. It was darn cold! No matter, I put on another layer of thermal underwear and went back to snoozing. An hour later I was again freezing. A hoodie and another pairs of socks was added to the layers. For the next 3 hours I was awake much more than I was asleep. I was learning a valuable lesson - a sleeping bag rated for an extreme of 0C to 3C doesn't do very well at 2C. At that point I decided further sleep was a fruitless quest. At least it was a chance to try out the stove. A few minutes later I was armed with a mug of lovely hot coffee. It felt positively decadent. I wandered down to the beach to watch the sunrise.

It took considerably longer to break camp than it had taken to set it up but eventually I had everything packed back into the original configuration. I took that as quite an accomplishment - you know how seldom that happens!

I forgot to take a picture while everything was set up. You get the idea.

Good stuff! Do you think getting cold was due to the thermal rating of the Agnes pad you chose or the top part......or both?
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #26
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Good stuff! Do you think getting cold was due to the thermal rating of the Agnes pad you chose or the top part......or both?
It was probably the sleeping bag. When I was shopping I was thinking summer camping and I got a little over optimistic with what the sleeping bag could handle. The BA is the insulated model (I went back and checked hence the edit). Also, I get cold easily when sleeping - I should have brought a bed warmer
A Cougar goes racing

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 09:19 AM
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #27
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,725
Try a silk bag liner. Light, and they work to add about 10 degrees of comfort.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,577
From a fellow Wee Stromer.............You rock!

Nice work with the lens also!
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
truckguy
awesomeness!

Oddometer: 206
Beautiful scenery! It was always my dream to go mountain biking in BC, it's said to be the best in the world.

Motorcycling is the pursuit of life through motion, sometimes at speed, during which the sum total of one’s existence is defined in the conflict between centrifugal force and gravity.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Try a silk bag liner. Light, and they work to add about 10 degrees of comfort.
Thanks. I've ordered a couple of these off ebay
A Cougar goes racing