ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
rockydog
just a guy
 
rockydog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: okieland
Oddometer: 774
great stuff and stuff. havn't been boppin around that area for a long time. your pics make me want to head back up. thanks for the rr
__________________
Two lane roads and two bit towns

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
East Coast Rider
Just Me...
 
East Coast Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Stuck somewhere in motorcycle Purgatory
Oddometer: 3,804
NICE.

That sure is a bright orange bike!
__________________
Txt msg with Dan right after he was paralyzed:
Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy and Love ya!
Dan: Howdy and Love you too. Doin' good and feeling good.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
squonker
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Just come with me next time

__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO.
Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
If you've been to Canada you know about Timmie's


Do we know Timmie's,, may I add it is the best thing since "sliced bread". Wife and I left here for the Peg, Winnie, on the RT last June to see grand daughter. Our first stop on the up side of the border was Timmie. When we left a week later we knew we had choices, head straight back to ND or go as far west on # 2 before turning left to ND. We pictured many Timmie's along the #2 route.

We looked for Timmie's all the way to Weyburn where we finally found the first and last one for us on this trip.. Withdrawal after that, turned south into ND.

Great RR Cowgirl, keep us smiling.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
LumpTheBeezu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LumpTheBeezu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 183
Gorgeous bike! (Yep, I'm biased!!) Following your report, and anxious for the next installment! Keep 'em coming!
__________________
GirlsCantWhat?
"You are not prepared......"
LumpTheBeezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
Rex Nemo
horizon calling
 
Rex Nemo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF Bay
Oddometer: 298
Excellent stuff--planning on riding BC this summer, and am interested to see your routes and nifty spots. Glad you returned to camping!
__________________
Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. --Anatole France
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
I arrived at the Provincial Park at Rathtrevor Beach around 6 pm and cruised the campground looking for the perfect spot to set up camp. All but 4 of the sites were vacant so I had lots to choose from. It quickly became apparent that I was missing an essential piece of kit - the giant tarp suspended from the trees over the campsite. Hmmmm, guess I should start a list of still required equipment.

I pulled into a secluded spot next to the trail to the beach and in a surprisingly short time had erected the tent, blown up Big Agnes and had the sleeping bag and pillow tucked in the tent with her. As I gazed around my camp I realized that panic had not yet set in. This camping thing might just be doable after all!

Then it was off to Parksville for a quick dinner and to pick up some firewood. After I got back it didn't take long before I had a cheery little fire going and was busily chatting with my friends on the iPad. What? You didn't think I was going to abandon all the trappings of civilization did you? There are limits after all. I couldn't possibly go a whole day without checking in on ADV

After a while I realized it was getting pretty chilly so I decided it was bedtime. I crawled into the tent and zipped closed the door. My heartrate remained steady. I slipped off my boots, stripped down to my longjohns and snuggled down into the sleeping bag. I was still able to breathe. Twenty-eight years later the demons finally seemed at rest. I relaxed and soon drifted off to sleep lulled by the barking of sea lions and the crying of gulls.

And two hours later I was awake. It was darn cold! No matter, I put on another layer of thermal underwear and went back to snoozing. An hour later I was again freezing. A hoodie and another pair of socks was added to the layers. For the next 3 hours I was awake much more than I was asleep. I was learning a valuable lesson - a sleeping bag rated for an extreme of 0C to 3C doesn't do very well at 2C. At that point I decided further sleep was a fruitless quest. At least it was a chance to try out the stove. A few minutes later I was armed with a mug of lovely hot coffee. It felt positively decadent. I wandered down to the beach to watch the sunrise.



It took considerably longer to break camp than it had taken to set it up but eventually I had everything packed back into the original configuration. I took that as quite an accomplishment - you know how seldom that happens!

I forgot to take a picture while everything was set up. You get the idea.

__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 08:25 PM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #23
squonker
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,929
__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #24
drsales
Wondering Why
 
drsales's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: North Coast Ohio
Oddometer: 381
I swear that sun rises are the best! Keep it coming you are doing fine.
__________________
My boys claim everything I call mine!
2012 R1200 GSA
2004 R1150RT (Sold)
drsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #25
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I arrived at the Provincial Park at Rathtrevor Beach around 6 pm and cruised the campground looking for the perfect spot to set up camp. All but 4 of the sites were vacant so I had lots to choose from. It quickly became apparent that I was missing an essential piece of kit - the giant tarp suspended from the trees over the campsite. Hmmmm, guess I should start a list of still required equipment.

I pulled into a secluded spot next to the trail to the beach and in a surprisingly short time had erected the tent, blown up Big Agnes and had the sleeping bag and pillow tucked in the tent with her. As I gazed around my camp I realized that panic had not yet set in. This camping thing might just be doable after all!

Then it was off to Parksville for a quick dinner and to pick up some firewood. After I got back it didn't take long before I had a cheery little fire going and was busily chatting with my friends on the iPad. What? You didn't think I was going to abandon all the trappings of civilization did you? There are limits after all. I couldn't possibly go a whole day without checking in on ADV

After a while I realized it was getting pretty chilly so I decided it was bedtime. I crawled into the tent and zipped closed the door. My heartrate remained steady. I slipped off my boots, stripped down to my longjohns and snuggled down into the sleeping bag. I was still able to breathe. Twenty-eight years later the demons finally seemed at rest. I relaxed and soon drifted off to sleep lulled by the barking of sea lions and the crying of gulls.

And two hours later I was awake. It was darn cold! No matter, I put on another layer of thermal underwear and went back to snoozing. An hour later I was again freezing. A hoodie and another pairs of socks was added to the layers. For the next 3 hours I was awake much more than I was asleep. I was learning a valuable lesson - a sleeping bag rated for an extreme of 0C to 3C doesn't do very well at 2C. At that point I decided further sleep was a fruitless quest. At least it was a chance to try out the stove. A few minutes later I was armed with a mug of lovely hot coffee. It felt positively decadent. I wandered down to the beach to watch the sunrise.



It took considerably longer to break camp than it had taken to set it up but eventually I had everything packed back into the original configuration. I took that as quite an accomplishment - you know how seldom that happens!

I forgot to take a picture while everything was set up. You get the idea.

Good stuff! Do you think getting cold was due to the thermal rating of the Agnes pad you chose or the top part......or both?
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #26
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Good stuff! Do you think getting cold was due to the thermal rating of the Agnes pad you chose or the top part......or both?
It was probably the sleeping bag. When I was shopping I was thinking summer camping and I got a little over optimistic with what the sleeping bag could handle. The BA is the insulated model (I went back and checked hence the edit). Also, I get cold easily when sleeping - I should have brought a bed warmer
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 09:19 AM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #27
Gitana
A work in progress
 
Gitana's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Rockies Meet the Prairie
Oddometer: 6,725
Try a silk bag liner. Light, and they work to add about 10 degrees of comfort.
__________________
Anne
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson
"Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain isn't going to fall out." - Unknown
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dartmouth, MA
Oddometer: 1,577
From a fellow Wee Stromer.............You rock!

Nice work with the lens also!
__________________
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA www.rvbprecision.com
2007 BMW K1200R Sport abs,2007 DL650 V Strom abs
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
truckguy
awesomeness!
 
truckguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE via Tulsa, OK
Oddometer: 206
Beautiful scenery! It was always my dream to go mountain biking in BC, it's said to be the best in the world.
__________________
Look. Lean. Believe.

Motorcycling is the pursuit of life through motion, sometimes at speed, during which the sum total of one’s existence is defined in the conflict between centrifugal force and gravity.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Try a silk bag liner. Light, and they work to add about 10 degrees of comfort.
Thanks. I've ordered a couple of these off ebay
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014