Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,778
Nice Report K! We too love the area but not the crowds, hope to get back there this July.
Bob
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #17
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
Nice Report K! We too love the area but not the crowds, hope to get back there this July.
Bob
It is a great area! Although Deals Gap and the other main roads get crowded, if you get off the beaten path you can have the roads to yourself even during the peak tourist seasons. Check out my other ride reports from the area if you want to see some examples.

I came here in March so that I could ride some of the great roads that are too crowded most of the year. There are some roads near Deals Gap that are never crowded as you will see in my next post.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #18
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I got to Fontana Village I took a left and went into the resort. If you go through the resort there is a road that goes from the back of the resort, over the mountain, and comes out on 129 near the Calderwood dam. I had never ridden it in this direction but managed to find my way. This road is steep and twisty with some steep dropoffs if you go off the road. It is not as well maintained as the main roads in the area and may have a little gravel on it. It's a fun ride on a dualsport or adventure bikes but I doubt it will ever become real popular with the sportbike or cruiser crowds.

Ridning along I saw a dirt road off to the right so I had to see where it went.

I do have an ADV sticker on my scooter so I figured I should be able to go just about anywhere on it

I rode a short ways and came to this.

Riding through this puddle, throwing mud everywhere, would make a great picture but there was nobody here to take the picture. Since there is no picture I guess you'll never know if I did it

This road dead ended so I headed back to the pavement.

This road definitely did not suck

And I did not see another vehicle

Another of the many pipelines in the area.

This looked interesting. It was steeper than it looks in the photo but as I mentioned earlier, I have an ADV sticker on my scooter,......and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I headed down the deep gravel hill.

And the up this hill.

The trail ended on top off the hill but it was worth riding up for the view.

I'm not sure what the tower in front of my scooter is for but I would guess it's part of the TVA water management system.

You can see HWY 28 along the other side of the lake.

Then it was back to the pavement and more twisties

At this intersection I took a left.

The road to the right dead ends at the lake.

A small community with trees blooming white and yellow.

klaviator screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 06:56 AM
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #19
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Looks like a great deal of fun... and just as enjoyable on a scooter as it would be on a bigger bike. Was it very busy there still?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
Broken Record
Biscuit Eater

Oddometer: 26
I see those Bradford Pear trees (the white ones in your last post) are bloomed out nicely. You hit them at just the right time. They'll shed the white and turn green in about a week.
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
I'll be doing a 10,000 mile "all backroad" ride starting from Denver the first week of June. The Dragon is on my list... probably the day after I visit the Barber Vintage Motorsports Musuem
http://barbermuseum.org

Then, it's up the BRP, into Pennsylvania, then on into New England for a few days rest (and seafood/Portuguese food) before heading up into Canada via Maine.

Those shots of the Dragon have me drooling! Thanks for posting!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Looks like a great deal of fun... and just as enjoyable on a scooter as it would be on a bigger bike. Was it very busy there still?
The traffic at Deals Gap was very light compared to what it will be when the tourist season starts. Also, the type of traffic was different. More locals and fewer tourists who are terrified of curvy roads and have no clue how to drive/ride them. Most of the sportbike riders where seriously fast riders who were dressed properly and used all of their tires. Usuelly when I have come here in the past there were lots of squids - guys on sportbikes wearing sneakers, no gloves or other protective gear except helmets and maybe jackets. These guys usuelly have inch wide chicken strips on their tires and go around corners at about the same speed as the Harley riders. They are much more of a PITA to pass since they think they are fast and like to twist the throttle on the straights.

Most of the cars I encountered where very courteous and used the pullouts. I didn't see anyone doing anything stupid the 2 days I was here. Come here during the tourist season, April - October, and this will be a different place, especially on weekends.

In some ways riding a scooter here was more fun than a bigger bike. Since I was going slower than I would have been on one of my dual sports, I did not catch up to and get stuck behind traffic as often. This made the traffic seem lighter than it was. Although I was riding slower on the scooter, it didn't feel that slow and I was able to twist the throttle much harder without actually going that fast.

Despite being on an 11 horsepower scooter, I was still going faster than most of the other traffic.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #23
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Record View Post
I see those Bradford Pear trees (the white ones in your last post) are bloomed out nicely. You hit them at just the right time. They'll shed the white and turn green in about a week.
One of the things I love about this area is all the different colors that come out in the spring and fall.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
I'll be doing a 10,000 mile "all backroad" ride starting from Denver the first week of June. The Dragon is on my list... probably the day after I visit the Barber Vintage Motorsports Musuem
http://barbermuseum.org

Then, it's up the BRP, into Pennsylvania, then on into New England for a few days rest (and seafood/Portuguese food) before heading up into Canada via Maine.

Those shots of the Dragon have me drooling! Thanks for posting!
Sounds like a great trip. Try to avoid coming through Deals Gap on a weekend. It will be a zoo and you will not be able to enjoy those 318 curves. Deals Gap gets all the hype but there are many other great rides in the area. Some of my favorites are some of the roads that cross the BRP.

Good luck on your trip!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I got to 129 I stopped to enjoy the view and take some pics.

The water in the Cheoah River was higher than I have ever seen.

This is supposed to be one of the most challenging white water rivers in the area. There are only six scheduled days where there will be enough water to run this river. This was one of them.

Sure enough, people were taking advantage of it.

Many people think that anyone who rides a motorcycle is a crazy, risk taking fool.

These guys are the real crazy risk taking fools

I'd rather take my chances running full throttle through Deals Gap

This next shot was taken from the bridge just down the road.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #26
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Looks like you had a blast. I'm looking at those photos of you going around the curve - those floorboards weren't quite made for turns that tight were they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #27
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I headed back towards Deals Gap. I stopped briefly at the resort then decided to head back to my truck. Just before I took off a small car with a loud exhaust and custom wheels took off up the hill. One of my fastest rides through Deals Gap was chasing a Mazda Miata many years ago on my R1100GS. This could be interesting

So unleashed all 11 horsepower and chased the car up the hill. He had more power and pulled away. Come to think of it, the average minivan has a better power to weight ration than I do on my scooter. I wasn't going to give up that easily. Hanging off through the curves and twisting the throttle to the stop I soon caught the car. It was an interesting experience. When I chased the Miata on my GS, I only was able to close distance on the straights. This time it was around the curves. It didn't take long for the driver to see me in his mirror and he politely let me by. Just after going buy him I heard a loud exhaust behind me. I thought it was the car until a sportbike whizzed by. I was passed by at least a couple more sportbikes in the next few miles. I occasionally glance in my mirrors so there were no more surprises.

I stopped at the overlook. There were a few sportbike riders there so I talked to them for a bit. These guys where serious riders all wearing full leathers. There where no chicken strips on their tires.

One guy said he hoped he didn't surprise me when he passed me. I said no problem. All of these guys passed in a professional manner. I have read some post on this forum about people being upset when they where passed on roads like this. If you are going to ride slow on a road like this, you should expect to be passed. Actually, even if you ride fast on a road like this, you should expect to get passed. There will always be someone faster than you. Some of these guys who ride here are seriously fast.

Despite being on a little 150cc scooter, I didn't get the impression that anyone was looking down on me or my scooter. I was able to demonstrate the superiority of my scooter over all the sportbikes when one of them wanted to adjust his rebound damping and I was the only one with a screwdriver The advantage of underseat storage and a tail trunk.

Then it was time to move on. The sport bikes headed back up for another pass through the gap while I headed down towards my truck.

I had no definite plan for tonight. I decided to head over to Townsend to find a motel and a place to eat. Being March I was afraid that I might find Townsend with all the lights out, sidewalks rolled up and nobody home. I was surprised to find everything open and a reasonable amount of activity. I had stayed at both Dock's motel & cabins and the Scenic Motel before. I was leaning towards staying at Dock's but when I got there I saw a campfire with people around it in front of the Scenic Motel.
It was only $40 for a room so I stayed there.

I ate at a small family restaurant just down the road. I don't remember the name but it was "something" family restaurant. They were packed so it took awhile to get dinner. The food was good and the apologized for the wait. I suspect they weren't prepared for the crowd this time of year. I asked why it was so busy and the cashier said there was a fiber weaving festival in town.

I went back to the motel and went out to the fire. Had some interesting conversation with the other people hanging out around the fire. I mentioned that I was surprised that Townsend was so busy in March and someone said Gatlinburg was packed with kids on spring break. When I think of spring break I normally think Florida but I guess Gatlinburg is also a good place to party.

Then I went to bed and tried to come up with a plan for the next day. I was tired so I put it off until the next morning

klaviator screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 01:53 PM
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
squids - guys on sportbikes wearing sneakers, no gloves or other protective gear except helmets and maybe jackets. These guys usuelly have inch wide chicken strips on their tires and go around corners at about the same speed as the Harley riders.
I resent that! My chicken strips are AT LEAST 2" wide
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #29
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
I resent that! My chicken strips are AT LEAST 2" wide
Before you can officially qualify as a squid, you will need to ditch the Capt Highlighter suit, your gloves and your boots. Start riding in sneakers, jeans, or better yet some shorts, and wear a loose fitting hoody that flaps around as you ride. Then you must learn to do wheelies, burnouts and be able to go 100+ in a straight line. Until then, you don't qualify as a squid

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you. I know you must be crushed

Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Looks like you had a blast. I'm looking at those photos of you going around the curve - those floorboards weren't quite made for turns that tight were they?
Although I have complained about the lack of cornering clearance, the Super 8 probably has better cornering clearance than most of the motorcycles on the road. When John Burns of Cycle World magazine tested the Super 8, he called the cornering clearance "GP bike abundant"

The article is here: http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...0_-_first_ride

I'm not sure how many GP bikes he has ridden.

I have been spoiled by the outstanding cornering clearance of my dual sport bikes and even on those bikes I occasionally run out. I would say the cornering clearance on the super 8 is similar to that of my old FJ1100 sport bike, maybe a little better.

My biggest complaint is that when the Super 8 runs out of clearance, it touches down something that has little or no give to it unlike the peg feelers on most motorcycles that fold up.

I'm going to work on improving the clearance on my scooter. That metal tab that touches down on the left will get ground off. Maybe I can find some taller tires?