User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,223
Moab Problems

Five us rode around Moab over the last weekend.

Rob S. came along for the trip to Moab but didn't ride with us. He's become our official photographer and he's been the support truck crew on rides where we've needed that. I don't know if he's in any of these pictures since he took them all in camp, and the rest of us only took pictures when we're out on the trail.

We're all currently from Cache Valley Utah. The new rider with our group was Todd, the owner of Motorsports Unleashed in Hyde Park, Utah (edited to add a link to his website). He let us use his trailer which was awesome, and we showed our appreciation by punching a hole in it's wall. (Note to self: next time we secure a bike we should securely secure it.)

If you're going to Moab soon here's information you'll want to know.

A. If you're planning on doing the White Rim Trail you've probably researched it and found that it is officially being reopened on Tuesday, the 29th of March. That will be awesome if that happens, but the park rangers who kicked Todd off the White Rim Trail for not having a street legal bike said that the cement they are using takes many days to set up, and people keep busting through the barrier and ruining it.

Because of that the park ranger expressed some doubt that it would actually be opened on that day. So if you're plan is to go and ride the WRT after the 29th, be prepared with a plan "b" just in case.

B. You'll get kicked off the WRT if you don't have a street-legal bike. They are there and they are checking. They fined Todd $75!

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 07:26 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,956
Yep, it's a road.

Sucks that people can't stay off the cement long enough for it to setup. Makes all of us look bad.

Can't wait to get out to Moab again!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
That's BS. If they add a little calcium chloride to the mix it will set up with in hours and no damage will take place. Besides what are they concreting? if is to hold rocks then it's not a structural piece and will probably get torn up anyway. Regular concrete should set up in 24 hours enough to drive on if it's between rocks and they can post a person out there to keep people off. Besides, if they are doing it during the week, how many people are really out there. They probably did it one time and decided to cry foul to off roaders.

Your friend should have known better. No mercy here!! In fact that's what gives the rest of us, that ride legally, a bad name. THANKS ALOT!!

Mil T
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
scarysharkface
30-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Five us rode around Moab over the last weekend.

Rob S. came along for the trip to Moab but didn't ride with us. He's become our official photographer and he's been the support truck crew on rides where we've needed that. I don't know if he's in any of these pictures since he took them all in camp, and the rest of us only took pictures when we're out on the trail.

We're all currently from Cache Valley Utah. The new rider with our group was Todd, the owner of Motorsports Unleashed in Hyde Park, Utah. (Todd, if you have a website I'll link it here.) He let us use his trailer which was awesome, and we showed our appreciation by punching a hole in it's wall. (Note to self: next time we secure a bike we should securely secure it.)

If you're going to Moab soon here's information you'll want to know.

A. If you're planning on doing the White Rim Trail you've probably researched it and found that it is officially being reopened on Tuesday, the 29th of March. That will be awesome if that happens, but the park rangers who kicked Todd off the White Rim Trail for not having a street legal bike said that the cement they are using takes many days to set up, and people keep busting through the barrier and ruining it.

Because of that the park ranger expressed some doubt that it would actually be opened on that day. So if you're plan is to go and ride the WRT after the 29th, be prepared with a plan "b" just in case.

B. You'll get kicked off the WRT if you don't have a street-legal bike. They are there and they are checking. They fined Todd $75!
Waiting on the pics...

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T View Post
That's BS. If they add a little calcium chloride to the mix it will set up with in hours and no damage will take place. Besides what are they concreting? if is to hold rocks then it's not a structural piece and will probably get torn up anyway. Regular concrete should set up in 24 hours enough to drive on if it's between rocks and they can post a person out there to keep people off. Besides, if they are doing it during the week, how many people are really out there. They probably did it one time and decided to cry foul to off roaders.

Your friend should have known better. No mercy here!! In fact that's what gives the rest of us, that ride legally, a bad name. THANKS ALOT!!

Mil T
Mil T, you might consider changing your username to "No Mercy Here!!" I know many people over the years have ridden the trail with bikes that weren't street legal because they didn't always enforce the rule. Now they are, and our guy is paying for it. He wasn't leaving the trail to run down endangered lizards, and I'm posting it here for all to learn from our mistakes. I have no idea about the concrete stuff, I'm just passing on what I'm told.

Anywho, I've been to busy to post so I'll stay up a little bit tonight and get some done.

Last March we showed up around the same time and got a great camping spot at Goose Landing, the coveted close-by camping spot on the Colorado. I was hoping that by arriving on a Thursday afternoon we would again beat the crowds. There was a half-marathon that weekend, and maybe that's why there were no camping spots at Goose Landing. So we went to the south end of town and found a camping spot across the river from Potash Road (Potash Road is the route most motorcyclists take getting to the White Rim Trail).

We got there with enough daylight that some of the guys wanted to go ride. I didn't really want to, in part because I knew there were going where a KLR really ought not go.

Leaving camp

Greg went on his XR650L, but soon came back.

Something was amiss:

Cleaned up a bit:

Being a good friend I offered my help and expertise:

"I can tell you what's wrong, you've got a crack right there."

In the past we'd typically used JB Kwik Weld on such problems, but I had some Quicksteel with me and we thought it might work better. It worked great. Greg is engaged, and his bride-to-be is Rosie, so he engraved a big "R" on the Quicksteel before it hardened. Or . . . no, wait . . .

That's right, I remember now, it was a "G", which I'm sure stood for "Gee I love Rosie so much!" (Rosie, are you sure you really want to marry Mr. "It's-all-about-me"?)

With the help of my supervision the quicksteel patch job worked perfectly. Soon the other guys came back to camp with intact bikes.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

The next morning the plan was to ride through Arches National Park, then go do Hurrah Pass and maybe Chicken Corners.

Getting ready:

"Behold, my Chinese Q-Link! Master of 200cc dual sport bikes that cost less than $2k!"

Todd sells the Chinese bikes at his business. He brought a half dozen of them because they're disposable. He actually used this one only for the photo, then threw it into the fire.

Adventures first stop:

We'd hit that sandy wash in the middle of Arches last year and loved it, even on our heavy bikes. This year we again entered in on Willow Springs Road (or some road with "willow" in the title). That's a fun little ride for a few miles. Then we turned and rode up the wash. It was difficult last time I rode it on my KLR and it was again this time.

At Eye of the Whale:

I was pretty worn out by the time we reached Tower Arch.

More evidence that Rosie should re-think the whole marriage thing:

I'm going to sleep. I'll try and post more tomorrow.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 07:27 PM
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,840
Oh man, that looks like fun... good to see you solved the bike problem.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Unique Username
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I think Greg broke his bike because he felt it was starting to NOT be about him...just sayin . Like the report so far my friend, keep it comin!
Unique Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
scarysharkface
30-125

I've been to Moab in the Jeep. Can't wait to go there with the bike. Looks like fun.

John

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

If they work, here are some gps tracks with us entering in to Arches from the west, then traveling up the sandy wash, then looping out through the regular road.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Arches Sand Wash.gpx (297.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

I'd mentioned in our last Tour of Idaho thread that Greg looks a lot like Jason Statham.

I couldn't help but notice that Todd looks amazingly similar to Daniel Craig:

Well, now that I'm thinking about it, the other guys resemble celebrities as well.

Rob S.

Ryan and Rob:

Me? Well I think it's quite obvious, but since you ask:

Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Nice start, cant wait to see how this develops (esp. as I'm planning a Moab trip for next month).
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #13
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Moab Problems

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Met you all a few years ago on that same trail, only in a white rental Jeep. Thanks for the report, can hardly wait to get back out there.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Met you all a few years ago on that same trail, only in a white rental Jeep. Thanks for the report, can hardly wait to get back out there.
Greg and I told the others how we met you and you guys ran across a bobcat chasing a rabbit.

The guys who were riding the lighter bikes did some rides that Greg and I didn't, so I'll leave it up to them to post pictures and tell the story.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 11:25 AM