Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Mate, I'm properly confused now. I think you missed a step or 2 with the documentation of what you're trying to achieve. I think you may need to make a few more pickies of the progress.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Sorry, what are you wondering about? From what I've seen, it looks like you've got a pretty good handle on this stuff already...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Never mind. The ol' rule. If you have to explain it it's not at all funny.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Ah, you're making fun of me. It's just become sort of a habit for me to document everything I design/build. Comes from doing so much of this kind of stuff.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #20
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Spent a few hours slathering and sanding bondo. Starting to refine the shape of this handguard, getting to the point where I'll be ready to make a plug soon. Maybe tomorrow?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #21
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Got a bunch more pics for you tmotten:

Spent most of the day building-up bondo and sanding down bondo. Can see in this first pic how the lines on the bottom of the handguards are a little bit wavy.

Looking pretty good from above, but there were some dips that I needed to fill, and contours that I wanted to smooth-out.

So I used a shapie to mark-up the handguards and then slathered-on another layer of bondo.

Then I sanded-down the handguards, using the sharpie lines sort of like topographic lines on a map. Works pretty well, as the lines start to show through a little bit before you actually get down to them.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #22
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oh, and these are the tools I've been using. Nothing fancy.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

After a few more layers of bondo and a lot of sanding, I'm really starting to like how these are looking. Almost done with the basic shape.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #24
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

...and then I did this. ugh. Was just wheeling the bike around so I could clean-up the dust, and accidentally knocked the handguard against that big green engine container you can see in the background. No big deal, but man that pissed me off.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #25
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Next step was to put a radius on the top edge of the handguard. Wanted to roll the top edge forward so there's not a sharp edge pointed at the rider. Made a paper template and taped it to the handguard and handlebars. Then added a few layers of bondo (allowing time to dry in between layers) to build-up a an oversized radius that I'll sand down tomorrow. That's all for today.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Nice work so far!

One thing you may want to think about is using a polyester resin for your plug work - a bit cheaper and if you heat up the mix a bit it is workable in short order. You dont need as many of those barley-pops to get thru the project either.

One other little trick If you find you have cut a piece out of mat that you think is too thick to conform to your part, you can separate it into layers and then lay it up in pieces.

To make a thinner filler than bondo or glazing putty, add a bit of baby powder to your resin - its cheaper than buying the 'Talc' from West Systems

Have Fun

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Nice work so far!

One thing you may want to think about is using a polyester resin for your plug work - a bit cheaper and if you heat up the mix a bit it is workable in short order. You dont need as many of those barley-pops to get thru the project either.

One other little trick If you find you have cut a piece out of mat that you think is too thick to conform to your part, you can separate it into layers and then lay it up in pieces.

To make a thinner filler than bondo or glazing putty, add a bit of baby powder to your resin - its cheaper than buying the 'Talc' from West Systems

Have Fun
Thanks, those are great tips about separating the mat and using baby powder to thicken the resin. Rob and I talked about using polyester resin for the plugs and molds because it''s so much cheaper, but he told me that it's more toxic with offgassing and VOC's and blahblahblah. For what I'm doing, I'm not too concerned about the expense, but it would be nice if I could speed-up the curing process a bit.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #28
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Spent a few hours shaping the top edge of the handguard. Used a die-grinder to hollow-out the basic shape and then hand-sanded it until I was happy with the shape, and I like how it's looking at this point. What do you guys think?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #29
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Success! Waxed the mold yesterday, threw some garbage bags over the bike, and laid-up some fiberglass. Went pretty smoothly, except for the heavy mat. That shit is nasty. Just turned into a giant hairball. Didn't want to conform to the shape of the mold at all. Wrestled that one piece into place, then covered it up with a few more layers of the medium-weight cloth (decided not to use any more of that mat). Let it cure overnight and popped it out of the mold today. Have invested a ton of time in that mold, so I was a little bit nervous about this part. But it came out just fine and that was a big relief.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #30
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Cut the part out, filed/sanded it down to the right size, and then painted the outside of it, just so I could get a better idea of what the finished handguards will look like. Drilled-out the mounting holes and bolted it onto my 650. Was a little bit concerned about the fit from one bike to the next (because of how the handguards have to be tweaked to fit the bikes, and then get wadded-up when we crash), but they fit great. Plenty of clearance for my fingers too. I wear size 10 gloves and can't imagine that I'd ever manage to touch the inside of the bottom part of the handguards. But I like knowing that it's there, and feel pretty confident that it will reduce the chances of hands/arms getting tangled-up in the handguards in a crash.