Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Forest Road Dirt Ride 20 March 2011 in George Washington National

Finally!

It's been a long winter, and we finally got out for a very welcomed afternoon ride in the forest here in the Shenandoah Valley. 112 Miles in a bit over 4 hours doesn't sound fast, but if you consider these roads, it is. Besides the bit of pavement connecting the forest roads, we rode mostly dirt and a bit of gravel. Some of our dirt roads are rough and strewn with rocks. You know it was a great ride when you had a blast, didn't get hurt, and you're sore as heck the next day from the exercise.

There was plenty of water flowing. On this switchback curve, there were two water crossings.

This mountain stream was too beautiful to pass up taking a photo of

At another water crossing, time for a break. This is roadglider feeling his oats.

And here goes roadglider blasting through the water crossing!

Ya gotta admit, he looks like he means business. Me, I try to go as slow as possible in order to stay dry

Looking across to him waiting for me, it's only 12-16 inches deep but it's close to 50 feet across and pure rocks.

This beautiful reservior is apparently private property. It's located along FR151 on a creek labeled Dice Run.

And with the bikes.

As we went around Skidmore Fork Lake reserviour, we pulled off in a place meant for such, and discovered this apple perched on a rock, waiting to be found.

I keep forgetting, I need to drill through the turn signal lens and put a long screw in it instead of relying on this tie-wrap!

The lake through the trees:

This was a great ride and more. Besides the adrenaline of blasting at near max speeds at times, and the great exercise that entails, the beauty of the forest is amazing and really appreciated. At this stage of the season, the beginnig of Spring, things are just starting to emerge green. We are so fortunate to have this amazing public resource right here in out back yard! George Washington National Forest - the land of many uses

Roadglider offered to let me ride his brand new CRF450X that he just bought, put on the road legal gear, and plated. This was the first time I got to ride one of these. It was amazing! The bike is so light on it's feet! I was thoroughly amazed at how predictibly it slid around and hooked up. And coming out, it would pull like a tractor, then gooooooo! It didn't take long to leave roadglider in the dust on my relatively sluggish but very forgiving pig. His bike is a freakin' rocketship and a pure joy to dance with! I think Honda makes the best bikes for riding

So, during the ride, we're climbing the mountain on 33, and I decide I'm going to show roadglider how an XR650L can climb. As we pull through a tight corner, I open it up for the straight climb. As I'm expecting to leave some distance between us, zoom, here he goes by me accelerating! Now I'm running wide open and revving up, and he shows me his bike clearly climbs better than mine. Never would have predicted that. That 450 has it all over the 650, what else can I say about that?

The riding is fantastic. There is nothing else like it in the world! And ADVrider is an excellent way to share the enthusiasm and associated knowledge!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,568
Nice one George wish I coulda been there....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,569
Nothing wrong with that tie wrap... I need to figure a good trick to hold the rubber stalk on.

Dave
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

Thanks, Mike! I wish you could'a been here too. Hope yer done hibernating for the Winter; come on out when you can.

The tie wrap is working, Dave, but I'm afraid it will slide off and I'll lose the lens altogether. The inside boss is broken off; if I drill through the lens at that location, I can run a long screw all the way through which should be more secure. I don't know a good way to hold the rubber mount together; I could say "electrical tape" because one bike I have has that repair and it works, but they're still a little floppy, and if you like to ride rough trail... I bought some new ones for my street bike pretty cheap off'n a guy on Ebay when they came up. It's worth getting a replacement stem.
A good strong tape should ought'a hold until you can get it replaced.
Tape a couple popsicle sticks or a bolt to it, if necessary...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,569
So far I've been using black duct tape and wire ties...

On the lenses, to keep 'em on without making it so tight the lens may crack, try running a long screw through the lens, nut right behind the lens, and another nut just a bit away from the hole in the holder, then you can crank on the nut and it just squeezes the holder instead of breaking the lens. You just have to finagle the nuts on the inside to just the right spot on the screws.

Dave
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
Sounds like a nice ride.

Hope you didn't eat the apple

badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
Sounds like a nice ride.

Hope you didn't eat the apple
I was thinking the same thing

OnO- good looking ride. So I gather that you went 33 by switzer and up, but can you fill in the gaps? Where did you start and end? I am wondering if my Wee will make the trek from switzer to flagpole. I can't remember anything too nasty up that way, but it's been at least a year since I've done that route.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

That's a good idea, Dave! A pair of nuts! I'll need a good screw #4-40 1.5 to 2" long.

Love that image, Mike... and no to you both; by the time I'd taken the pics and we had a breather, I forgot all about the apple

LB Dave...
You are so right; that was going to be part of the report! I don't know how I forgot it. I feel like I wrote out the whole route... I did in my mind, anyway!
So, okay, here it is:
Out West of Dayton, Coakley Town, Onyx Hill, Horeb Church, over to Hopkins Gap and into the Forest at Long Run. Went right at Vepco and found it closed Back out then on down Long Run, right Hall Springs then left Rough Run out to the hard surface Swedlin Valley in WV. A brief jaunt South to 151 back into the forest, out to 33 past the shooting range. Drop down into Brandywine for roadglider's 3.1gal tank, then back up past there up and over the mountain on 33 and right down into the Skidmore Fork Lake basin, up through Dunkle Hollow on 227, left on 225 through Meadow Knob, by stone camp, and out Union Springs. Back to Dayton via Fulton School, Honey Run, Bumblebee, Coakley Town!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,181
Gimeny beans! What a ride. And all in 4 hours? You must have been booking it. You make me miss my XT. Oh well. The Wee is better for the most of the riding I do. There's a spot there by stone camp that's pretty nasty isn't there? I did it once coming up from Union and remember it being a bit of a gnarly climb. I don't think I am ready to tackle that on the Wee, although you went down instead of up. Maybe not so bad.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

It's pretty equal both ways in my opinion. Rocky ups and downs. Pick your line carefully in advance. It's easy enough I've taken the wife up through there 2-up the whole way. I enjoyed it more than she did, however

But yeah, you're right.... we pretty much ate those roads for lunch Roadglider is lethal on that 450! Good thing I've got my arms to help me stand up from sitting, and going down stairs is painful.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
KShow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I must have just missed you guys. Me a buddy and my bro, went up long run, out feedstone(private- buddy's parents are owners) up to switzer, out at union. They are noobs on dirt so it was slower going. I did notice your tracks going up long run, figured I wasn't going to catch up with anyone at our pace.

Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
KShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

I didn't think about it beforehand but I should have invited ya to ride with us! Sure would be nice to have an out at Feedstone since Hall Spring is often shut down. Did we leave tracks on Long Run?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,987
Nice OnO! that apple was probably left by HBN
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Slug.go
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That's a good idea, Dave! A pair of nuts! I'll need a good screw #4-40 1.5 to 2" long.

Love that image, Mike... and no to you both; by the time I'd taken the pics and we had a breather, I forgot all about the apple

LB Dave...
You are so right; that was going to be part of the report! I don't know how I forgot it. I feel like I wrote out the whole route... I did in my mind, anyway!
So, okay, here it is:
Out West of Dayton, Coakley Town, Onyx Hill, Horeb Church, over to Hopkins Gap and into the Forest at Long Run. Went right at Vepco and found it closed Back out then on down Long Run, right Hall Springs then left Rough Run out to the hard surface Swedlin Valley in WV. A brief jaunt South to 151 back into the forest, out to 33 past the shooting range. Drop down into Brandywine for roadglider's 3.1gal tank, then back up past there up and over the mountain on 33 and right down into the Skidmore Fork Lake basin, up through Dunkle Hollow on 227, left on 225 through Meadow Knob, by stone camp, and out Union Springs. Back to Dayton via Fulton School, Honey Run, Bumblebee, Coakley Town!
OnandOff,
Trying to plan a ride just this, can you provide exact route, please? I'm a NOOB but not ignorant, seems like the places you refer to are locally named, I'd like to come west from Va Beach and follow your track.
I can plan from GPS tracks or just let me know which maps I might need.
Thanks a ton!
Slug.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
ONandOFF OP
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo12 View Post
...can you provide exact route, please? ...I'd like to come west from Va Beach and follow your track. ...
This is easier said than done, sluggo. Grab a Trails Illustrated map #791 at your local forest service office, or see www.trailsillustrated.com then it's easy to follow.

I will try to show you somewhat on google maps... this is the first part, less the run to Brandywine and back for gas. Google's map doesn't show the last part connecting, but it does. Go in at E and stay on it until the "T", go left and come out HERE.

The way we ride these trails, I can't imagine a GPS unit staying mounted! So I don't have tracks to offer. Oh, and if you aren't into hauling a$$, sliding around, going airborne, etc., better factor in more time, appropriately.

Maybe your GPS map software has these roads included? If not, you can grab the coordinates for the intersections from the google map. At least jot down a drawing of the intersections so you don't get confused which way to go back in the woods. Hope that helps, and let me know if you have further concerns.

I can recommend back roads between Richmond and here if you're riding back and forth