Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Jim K in PA OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Let me introduce myself . . . and my project "Otto"

G'day.

After lurking in the shadows for the last year or three, the time has come for me to state my rank and purpose for being here. I'll try to keep it succinct, but have my doubts as to being successful in that regard.

Me - just a bloke that has never ridden a street bike, but has wanted one since he almost bought a basket case (literally) BMW [sumthin]/[sumthin] in the late 1970s as a teenager. Mom said no, so that dream got put off. I Married an ER nurse in 1987 and we have two boys 16 and 18 as of this writing. ER nurse as spouse = adamant refusal to accept two wheeled transportation device (more on that later). We live in an old (~195 y.o.) farmhouse in northeastern PA. An engineer of sorts by day; otherwise a restorer of sorts of old houses, cars, trucks, and now a bike. We like to play and camp off the beaten path in our Jeep(s).

My bike - this is where the story (if you have not died of boredom or clicked away already) might get interesting. No promises.

1979 BMW R100T. Yep, plain jane, red/silver, nearly 100% stock and original. This bike I have known for about 8-10 years, as it was owned by a good friend that I work with. About 4 years ago he had some engine issues with the bike, and attempted repairs. He was less than successful, and parked the bike in his shed. He bought a 1984 R100RT to ride while he fixed the '79. Never happened. He offered me the bike in as-is condition, so I of course accepted. Idiot.

Below are the pics of the bike as I acquired it. I will post additional entries and pictures in this thread as work progresses. I may struggle with the picture links, but please be patient.

As found in the "shed". It was actually a tent structure with the tent rapidly departing the premises.

On the trip home. About 70 miles, with a borrowed trailer being pulled by my '05 Rubicon LJ.

And here it is at home in my driveway. That is a Windjammer faring on it. I did also get the Krauser bags and keys for everything with it.

Next post will have some more info on the bike and some nasty pictures.

Jim K in PA screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 09:43 AM
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Hey Jim. Welcome. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your R100. It is truly a cool year for an R100.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Sounds like a great project, Welcome!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Combatplumber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
It's your lucky day!!

First off, I would suggest joining the Airhead Beemer Club. Best investment I ever made. Great bunch of folks and knowledge about these old bikes that is priceless.

Secondly, They will be having a Airhead Tech Day in Pocono Summit on April 30th.

I sure there will be enough talent there to steer you in the right direction as to what needs to be done to your bike.

PM me for further details if you are interested.

Take care,

Dave
Combatplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Jim K in PA OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the warm welcome. Pics are fixed. Dave, I will send you a PM. Chris, thanks for all your patience and assistance on the phone last week.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Jim K in PA OP
Studly Adventurer

So after getting it home and out of the trailer, I had to pull off the faring. I mean no disrespect to all the RT owners out there, but I really prefer the "naked" look of the early airheads. Here it is in the garage with the Windjammer-ectomy performed:

The next phase was to remove the airbox to see what kind of presents the rodents left in there. You should be able to guess how I came up with the nickname for this bike:

Eeeew. S'more:

And from the front:

Sorry for the poor resolution. These are cell phone pics. Hope to be getting a good digital camera in the next week or so.

Next post will have more background on the engine issues, past and present.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
It came with friends
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
FUTURE
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
Great welcome thread from you. I love the look of the Windjammer fairings. Looks like you have some work ahead of you with this one. I would get her running and leave it that.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,001
Yep, rodents will do that. Did you luck out and did they miss the carbs?

You'll be getting some good advice on all what to check, mainly a LOT of little fiddly things.

Yes, consider the ABC (they have a great local organization) and please, please, do take an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) training course. There are few things more dangerous than an old guy on a new second-childhood bike... (there, been looking for an excuse ot say that).

FWIW, here is my Photo site with my R60 pics:

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...oto/BMW%20R60/

Welcome ot the Asylum.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Jim K in PA OP
Studly Adventurer

Bill - thanks for the institutional welcome . I loved the picture of Mom on the H-D. She reminds me of my Grandmother (93 and still going) who used to drive tow trucks as a part time job at a car dealership when she was in her late teens (this would have been in the early 1930s). Tough old birds those early 20th century ladies . . .

Luckily the mice did not get past the air filter, so the carbs are remarkably clean. I am getting a gasket and o-ring kit for them just to be sure they are good to run.

I at the second-childhood comment. You been talking to my wife? Seriously though, I have every intention of taking a safety course. I have ridden dirt bikes on trails many times since I was a kid, just never a street bike. I have road raced sedans since I was 17 all over the northeastern US, but dropped that a few years ago. The race cars were a lot safer than riding on the street .
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Jim K in PA OP
Studly Adventurer

So after several heavy rounds with the shop vac, I removed all of the loose maus nesting materials I could from the engine. I noticed shiny where there should be no shiny, specifically in the middle of the primary alternator wires.

Amazingly, they only ate the insulation, but did not manage to cut any of the wire strands.

I was able to slip some heat shrink tubing over the primary wires and get them covered up again. I have similar issues with a few other wires still to address.

I did connect a battery to the terminals and put power to the harness. No smoke fell out of anywhere, and she actually cranked over without too much complaint.

The mice also made the headlight bucket their penthouse. I vacuumed tons of poop out of there as well. The headlight harness was hacked to splice in the Windjammer harness, so I have ordered a new one. Other than that, I was able to trace out everthing and get the headlight back in the bucket.

BTW - I do have a Clymer and Haynes manual for the bike. So far they seem pretty good guides when I need to refer to them.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
A had an old Magna in similar state. I fired it up and a bag of sunflour seed same flying out the exhaust pipe....love critters
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,001
I've been riding forever and a day, and the "MSF course" advice, and sometimes the "old guy on a bike" joke, is SOP. Especially during the past few years, I've seen a lot come to grief by going too much too soon.

Parts source? I dunno-- my experience is with my Classic, and not a new-fangled 1979 model. Others can advise. Support you local dealer if you can, but sometimes "alternate suppliers" are a necessity.

Parts book? With the Internet, you are in luck. There are online "parts fiches" which will give drawings and part numbers. I like MaxBMW:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

this is the "select your model" index page. Go through the selection process, and then Bookmark the page for your model.

Chewed wire? It happens. You can patch and everything, and (at least for the older bikes) a new main harness isn't that bad in $$.

Oh, reminds me-- check with ADV inmate wirewrkr -- he does wiring harnesses. http://www.wirewerkes.com/

Airhead electrics? Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik http://www.motoelekt.com/

'Nuff for now-- got to get ready for a ride tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I did not want to impart my opinion, but I'm really glad you ditched the fairing, man I hate those Windjammers! Have fun!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
Jim K in PA OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I've been riding forever and a day, and the "MSF course" advice, and sometimes the "old guy on a bike" joke, is SOP. Especially during the past few years, I've seen a lot come to grief by going too much too soon.
Sheesh! 46 years old makes me an old man? My brain is only 26!

Quote:
Parts book? With the Internet, you are in luck. There are online "parts fiches" which will give drawings and part numbers. I like MaxBMW:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

this is the "select your model" index page. Go through the selection process, and then Bookmark the page for your model.
Thanks for the link. That will help with some of the more esoteric stuff I will wind up needing/wanting.

Quote:
Chewed wire? It happens. You can patch and everything, and (at least for the older bikes) a new main harness isn't that bad in $$.

Oh, reminds me-- check with ADV inmate wirewrkr -- he does wiring harnesses. http://www.wirewerkes.com/
I alredy ordered and received a new headlight harness from Wirewrkr via BMWEuro's shop. Looks like a nice piece.

Quote:
Airhead electrics? Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik http://www.motoelekt.com/
Jeff Trapp (northwoodsairheads) put me onto Rick's stuff. Specifically his hard mounts for the rectifier. I may build my own just for fun, but he has nice stuff too. It is wonderful to have all these options for the airheads.

Quote:
'Nuff for now-- got to get ready for a ride tomorrow.
Thanks, and enjoy!