User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
kuri77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
wabbit45,
Great comments and very to the point with nothing to dispute fact-wise. I totally agree with you about the earbuds. Have been through a zillion ways of trying to get speakers to work in helmets to no avail above city speeds. Many of us have expensive (more than $100, not those crappy ipod things) earbuds and are used to decent sound. I want a communication/intercom set that will let me plug them in and (when they break or I want a higher performing set) will allow me to exchange without cutting wires or buying a new radio set. I'll never buy any communication device again that doesn't allow me to use my own earbuds.
kuri77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #17
wabbit45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
AndyUCLEAR - That review at WBB thusfar simply states they like the clarity of the system at a stand still with various levels of road noise. They did not, as yet, road test it as they have all their other units. They also go on to say that sound is 'on par' with other high end units they tested (Sena, Scala, Interphone). I will say they seem to give you the edge whe it comes to 'vocal' clarity, but again this was not during road testing at various speeds. They also say in other reviews that your range is the lowest since you do not incorporate an external antenna. SO, I am still not convinced - especially at $200 apiece.

kuri77 - The only choice for earbuds currently is the Sena model.
wabbit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
I really love the idea of being able to work without a boom-mike. So that is the "big customer attractor" in this deal.
For now, I have read only the hard-to-lay-aside facts and argumentation of wabbit45 with regards to what this choice (no boom-mike) does with the clarity of voice which is supposed to be lower and less recognizable.
I have not seen a sound argumentation against Wabbit45's claims as of yet. But they may follow, I am closely following this thread .

The word "mean" has been mentioned with regards to what wabbit45 said.
With regards to that, please be remembered that the industry has to thank itself for customers NEEDING to be critical against all kinds of manufacturers claims that in practice most of the time are never met.
If manufacturers were to over exaggerate their products abilities a little less, we would have less need to be this "mean" (which I rather call: sound critics).

For now, all manufacturers of BlueTooth communication devices have been shouting that their products were the absolute top of the bill, and until now, no product has met the expectations manufacturers have installed in us. None have.

So I am simply stating, that one can claim anything he wants, I want to see objective proof of all the claims. I have been a victim of commerce once to often to become one yet again. Prove that your stuff is great. For instance with a full money back guarantee, no questions asked, on 1 month period. Anyone who has a solid product in which he/she believes for the full 100 percent would gladly offer such a warranty, knowing nobody will bring it back since it is 100 percent delivering on its promises.

Reviews often make me smile. Every "professional" review I have read is most of the time positive, since the reviewer mostly would like to do his trick in the future again sometimes. They are never outright neutral to any product, since most of the time you see a button "buy now!" somewhere around this so called "review" which is most of the time nothing more then a marketing instrument. Objective tests. That is what consumers want. We want to know exactly what we buy, and how that product stands up against other products in the branch. To make a well informed purchase.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit45 View Post
kuri77 - The only choice for earbuds currently is the Sena model.

There is a thread going on here about a modification to the G4 which seems to enable this for the G4 as well. Not factory supported, but anyway.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
This product sounds like exactly what I want, if it can live up to expectations.

I appreciate the comments from wabbit45, healthy skepticism is a good thing... BT headsets have been hyped for quite a while, and I've never been impressed with real world results.

I too will be watching this thread.

Any comments on this from the webbikeworld review:

Quote:
And nobody I have called, either when I was stopped, moving or going forward at high rates of speed, have been able to discern what I was doing at the time. All they got was crisp clear audio, even when my Schuberth C3 visor was fully open.
It sounds to me like the reviewer tested on bike at speed and had excellent results.
DoD #2223
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
This product sounds like exactly what I want, if it can live up to expectations.

I appreciate the comments from wabbit45, healthy skepticism is a good thing... BT headsets have been hyped for quite a while, and I've never been impressed with real world results.

I too will be watching this thread.

Any comments on this from the webbikeworld review:

It sounds to me like the reviewer tested on bike at speed and had excellent results.
What exactly IS a "review" I sometimes wonder.... and what is it NOT?
A review most certainly is not an objective test.
I know what I personally think it SHOULD be. But that is obviously most of the time not in sync with the reviews I read.
I am under the strong impression that a lot of so-called "reviews" are put together based on manufacturers texts and after ample use of the products "reviewed" and most of the time once can find some kind of relationship between the reviewer, the product, a reseller or the manufacturer (in a direct or indirect way) relating to income or profits otherwise.

Are we leaning on subjective and pre-set "reviews" as yet another marketing instrument to catch our money, too much?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #22
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
What exactly IS a "review" I sometimes wonder.... and what is it NOT?
A review most certainly is not an objective test.
I know what I personally think it SHOULD be. But that is obviously most of the time not in sync with the reviews I read.
I am under the strong impression that a lot of so-called "reviews" are put together based on manufacturers texts and after ample use of the products "reviewed" and most of the time once can find some kind of relationship between the reviewer, the product, a reseller or the manufacturer (in a direct or indirect way) relating to income or profits otherwise.

Are we leaning on subjective and pre-set "reviews" as yet another marketing instrument to catch our money, too much?
I'm certainly open to that possibility. In the past I've found that WBW reviews tend to fit with my observations on those items that I've got. However, they've gotta make money somehow.
DoD #2223
Old 06-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #23
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
Ya cant knock it until you've tried it. I thought the WebBike review was great. Its size, no boom mic, and ease of swicthing from helmet to helmet have me interested. If AndyUCLEAR wants to send me a unit to test so I can tell yall what I think about it from an ADV point of view, I'm game! (pretty please)

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I agree with you, however I must say that Sena offers a 30 day money back policy, and we have not had any returned for performance reasons. I have not tried the Uclear yet, but it is on my list, and we'll see how it compares to the SMH10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
I really love the idea of being able to work without a boom-mike. So that is the "big customer attractor" in this deal.
For now, I have read only the hard-to-lay-aside facts and argumentation of wabbit45 with regards to what this choice (no boom-mike) does with the clarity of voice which is supposed to be lower and less recognizable.
I have not seen a sound argumentation against Wabbit45's claims as of yet. But they may follow, I am closely following this thread .

The word "mean" has been mentioned with regards to what wabbit45 said.
With regards to that, please be remembered that the industry has to thank itself for customers NEEDING to be critical against all kinds of manufacturers claims that in practice most of the time are never met.
If manufacturers were to over exaggerate their products abilities a little less, we would have less need to be this "mean" (which I rather call: sound critics).

For now, all manufacturers of BlueTooth communication devices have been shouting that their products were the absolute top of the bill, and until now, no product has met the expectations manufacturers have installed in us. None have.

So I am simply stating, that one can claim anything he wants, I want to see objective proof of all the claims. I have been a victim of commerce once to often to become one yet again. Prove that your stuff is great. For instance with a full money back guarantee, no questions asked, on 1 month period. Anyone who has a solid product in which he/she believes for the full 100 percent would gladly offer such a warranty, knowing nobody will bring it back since it is 100 percent delivering on its promises.

Reviews often make me smile. Every "professional" review I have read is most of the time positive, since the reviewer mostly would like to do his trick in the future again sometimes. They are never outright neutral to any product, since most of the time you see a button "buy now!" somewhere around this so called "review" which is most of the time nothing more then a marketing instrument. Objective tests. That is what consumers want. We want to know exactly what we buy, and how that product stands up against other products in the branch. To make a well informed purchase.
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #25
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
UClear 2 week review

I have been trying to commute on the wee more to save gas. The only problem is that since I am a painting contractor, I get and make a lot of calls all day. Constantly pulling over to see who called or make a call was a pain, dangerous and unproductive.

I was in the middle of researching a solution when I ran into a distributor rep at a big bike shop. Somehow I mentioned my problem and he pulled out his demo helmet. I researched some more and found no better alternative, went back to the dealership and purchased a UClear.

Installation, pairing and operating is easy and straight forward. After many calls, I will say that the unit is fantastic. Not perfect, but a good solution for communication with the outside world while on a bike.

No, sound is not as good as good earbuds, but fully adequate for music and voice. With my Droid2, I listen to a lot of sports streaming on the internet. Music occasionally. Navigation a lot. I can hear the speakers loud and clear over traffic, wind noise and my bike.

Phone calls are excellent. No one has given any sign of not hearing my side of the conversation and I can hear them loud and clear.

As far as the "sounds like you are in a can" issue. My buddy jim has keen ears. Everytime I get a different phone or bluetooth, I call him first. He tells me what he hears and tells me how my latest gizmo compares to the last and to his listening expectations. My first call with him went something like this.

Me: Hey Jim, sound check time....

Jim: Speak!

I spoke. Then asked if he could hear anything in the background.

Jim: No, but you sound a little like you are in a can.

Me: But, can you hear me ok?

Jim: Oh yeah!

I then raised my shield, going through gears and traffic.

Me: Ok how do I sound now? Am I still in a can?

Jim: That's much better! You sound great!

Me: Jim, I am on the bike. Can you hear it, wind noise or traffic?

Jim: No way!

I beeped the horn and he could barely hear it.

UClear passed the Jim test. Good enough for me! I will raise the shield, which I do most of the time anyway, when on a call. Can sound defeated.

Suggestions for future models:
1. Additional charging port to charge while in use. I havent run the battery down yet. When I do, it will suck. Or a replaceable battery so extras can be used like with my phone.

2. Yes, it needs to have an input for a wire input. I use an Ipod shuffle. No bluetooth.

3. Yes, It needs an output for earbuds. The speakers work fine, but the option to supplement with earbuds would be good.

That's all I can think of for now.

Summary: The Uclear has solved my bike/phone issues. I will be looking out for new developments in the future.

I highly recommend it!
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
Dai
New to Canada

Oddometer: 2
Arai D

Hi Andy

Have you installed your kit on an Arai XD? Does the mic pick up voice even through the deep ear pockets?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #27
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
...snip No, sound is not as good as good earbuds, but fully adequate for music and voice. ..snip..
Is this while wearing earplugs?
DoD #2223
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
No sir, I dont wear ear plugs. I occasionally wear ear buds, but I dont really like that either. I like to hear whats going on around me and things in my ears bug me. So being able to hear navigation, music, xm radio, etc, in comfort (as in nothing in my ears) AND being able to hear stuff around me is right up my alley.

Again, everything is very clear and understandable, but bass response is obviously lacking in music. Crisp highs and nice mids make for a very clear phone listening experience, and that is my primary goal.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #29
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Anybody tried one with ear plugs??

edit: found a review on triumph675.net, guy noted a lot of problems. Buttons to small to work properly with gloves, volume just barely adequate, music drops out (loss of pairing perhaps). Sounds to me like it's not quite ready for prime time...

what I'd like is one that's just for music.. no mic... don't really need that and it's kinda a pain on flip up helmets.
DoD #2223

braindead0 screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 06:11 AM
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #30
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 600
I needs more than phone calls

Heres my situation. I commute to work daily and would like to receive calls on my Palm Pre cell phone, I understand it has blue tooth, but have never used it. BTW I have 0 experience with Blue Tooth. I aint gonna call anybody while riding, so outgoing calls are irrelevant. Also, I assume that a pillion would be able to communicate with the rider via the bike to bike feature as long as they have their own unit right?

Occasionally, I ride with touring riders who use CBs to communicate. I use a cobra hand held model with a simple wired headset and push to talk. Its clunky to set up and easy pull loose a wire or disable it in some other way. It works, but it's annoying.

I ride dual sport frequently with a different helmet, and there is less commonality with the DS riders, often we use UHF hand helds, but also the inexpensive GMRS/FRS radios available.

Ive avoided Blue tooth because it only deals with one issue, the phone. I rarely ride with a passenger. If I can get a solution for the phone and CB, Im willing to look at a different set up for the DS helmet. If I can get a solution for the dual sport as well, well that would be very welcome icing on the cake. How much of a solution can you offer? Thanks cr

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote