Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
B-Rock OP
B-Rock

Oddometer: 3
Question Carrying Extra Gas?

Hello all!

I am currently planning a trip into the Alaska and Yukon backcountry with a fellow rider, and I am thinking I should be carrying some extra fuel "just in case".

But I was wondering if any of you have experience with this? And if there is better methods or equipment (different gas cans or setups) to use?

I am hoping to avoid just bungeeing a jerry can to the back seat and hoping for the best! I imagine the vibrations over the long days on gravel roads will just shake most setups loose.

Thanks for your help!
B-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
don't knock it. at roughly 3$ U.S.D./ gallon, the std plastic fuel jug is the cheapest way hands down! any departure from this and the price climbs out of the reasonable range. personalyy i wanted a additional fuel tank on the honda st1100, and got a sampson tank (retail aprox 500$=100/gallon) and i've spent considerable time trying to get the installation right(try to attach a price tag to you own time, here) after youre done the trip toss the plastic jug into the garage and forget. but i reconize that reason has no place in a motorcycle dissucusion, so go ahaed and buy some thing youre buddies will think is cool.
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
606XXZIP
NAVVET

Oddometer: 228
check out my bike with tubes to carry 1 liter gas cans. I can carry 2 extra liters of gas
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
B-Rock OP
B-Rock

Oddometer: 3
Rotopax looks nice, although again, I'm not sure how to mount that bad boy in a nice and secure manner. The price tag is on the high-side, but if it saves me from being stranded in the middle of nowhere, then I see it as a worth while investment.

@606XXZIP. That's a nice secure setup you have going there. I have seen those canisters used multiple ways now and they look pretty slick too. I just fear that 2 liters isnt enough fuel to allow me to relax! Wouldn't put a big dent in my 22 liter tank!!

Thanks for the replies though guys, I dont mean to be negative and knock your suggestions! Sorry if I am coming off that way!! I'm really not a jerk in real life
B-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,865
Here is my 2 x 2 gallons RotoPax set up. But since you are riding to Alaska probably you'll have your side bags. If so, you can attach them to hard cases as well. You need to get the attachment pieces.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
BestRest

I am paranoid so I use four 1 liter fuel bottles (the green bottles on the back of the panniers) and two 1 gallon jugs mounted on BestRest Peg Packers. This setup gives me an extra 140-150 miles.

1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,186
On my Uly, about 1 gallon in in 4 Wolfman Bottle Holsters/MSR .88L bottles:

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Gadget Man
Out in the Garage...

Oddometer: 69
I'm using the "Tube" method with the small gas bottle.
I have one on each side of my Pelican Bags.
One for gas, and one for a tool roll.

Current bike.
2013 V-Strom 650 Adventure
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I've got a 5 gallon tank, on the way up, I would gas up at the first station after 75 miles on that tank. There are a number 100 mile stretches without gas, though most are 50 or so.

The person I rode up with was like you know you can 180 miles, wtf are you stopping. Well if you wait until 105 miles, and its 105 miles to the next your fucked.

On the way back I bought cheap gas can at a gas station, and never used it.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 297
The best solution, as mentioned, is a gas can. On all of my trips north, I have simply hauled an extra gas can on the tail rack.
Leave the top case at home put a duffel across your panniers, and use the top rack for fuel and water.

I usually use cheap 1 gallon cans I bought en-route. When you are done with the thing change your oil with a $2 turkey pan, dump the oil in the gas can and drop it off someplace responsible.

Although this works fine, I do feel sketchy with a cheap gas can hanging off of the tail rack. When actually carrying gas, I make sure to dump it into the bike's tank as soon as there is room in order to minimize risk. In the alternative carry a better can like MSR bottles or a Rotopax container.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
CharlieP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Love my Rotopax - I run 2 gal gas (green) 2 gal water (white on other side)

yes - i have fixed the rack since this trip
CharlieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
i might add that with any method you go with you'll have to mount the stuff...the same effort appliyed to the spare fuel jug can assure that it's as well mounted as any of 'em

the_gr8t_waldo screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 03:06 PM
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Love my Rotopax - I run 2 gal gas (green) l
Probably not a big deal, but red is the designated color for gas. Lets people know what it is. Also if a place wanted to be pricks, they may stop you from putting gas in it.

I wanted to buy kerosene once and put it in a gas can, they wouldn't sell me it. Of course they wanted to sell me a blue can

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
606XXZIP
NAVVET

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
rotopax looks nice, although again, i'm not sure how to mount that bad boy in a nice and secure manner. The price tag is on the high-side, but if it saves me from being stranded in the middle of nowhere, then i see it as a worth while investment.

@606xxzip. That's a nice secure setup you have going there. I have seen those canisters used multiple ways now and they look pretty slick too. I just fear that 2 liters isnt enough fuel to allow me to relax! Wouldn't put a big dent in my 22 liter tank!!

Thanks for the replies though guys, i dont mean to be negative and knock your suggestions! Sorry if i am coming off that way!! I'm really not a jerk in real life
it depends on what you need. I will never be so far out somewhere that i need more than a couple liters. That equates to about 25-30 miles of reserve on my bike
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
do the MSR style bottles emit a fuel smell once closed? i want to keep one in my pannier, but dont want my clothes stinking like gasoline