User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
atomicrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
TY 250 frame modification

I am almost finished bringing my '77 TY back to life. While I was putting it together, I picked up a parts bike of the same year, so now I have 2 frames. My question is if its worth messing around with the rake on the second frame? I noticed that the newer trials bikes have a tight rake angle, and was curious if this would help the bike to ride better. I have built a couple of motorcycle frames and have a frame jig to help keep things lined up, so just wondering if its worth the time versus what would be gained if any.
atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrider View Post
I am almost finished bringing my '77 TY back to life. While I was putting it together, I picked up a parts bike of the same year, so now I have 2 frames. My question is if its worth messing around with the rake on the second frame? I noticed that the newer trials bikes have a tight rake angle, and was curious if this would help the bike to ride better. I have built a couple of motorcycle frames and have a frame jig to help keep things lined up, so just wondering if its worth the time versus what would be gained if any.

My humble opinion no, unless you are building some sort of works replica from that era, and works bikes had custom aftermarket frames back then anyway. I mean sure, the steering would be quicker, but why go through the hassle when the brakes, clutch, and engine stay the same? Even though it's 34 years old, it's still mighty capable in the right hands.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the bike. If it's just a fun resto project that will be shown and ridden for fun occasionally, go for it. If you are going to seriously compete on it, I'd say get your skill level to the point that the bike (in stock form) is holding you back then modify it. If you are after something that handles, brakes, and responds like a modern Trials bike, then buy a modern Trials bike and enjoy the TY for what it is. Same goes if you are wanting to get into Trials. Start out with a modern-era Trialer ('92 or later) to get Trials skills up to speed quickly, then enjoy those skills on the "slow" TY. It works better this way, believe me.

Can of worms......OPEN!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
ALL good stuff...but, I really think you just wanted to post a picture of you showing off...
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
ALL good stuff...but, I really think you just wanted to post a picture of you showing off...
Oh, I think there is plenty of pictures of me doing stupid s*it on old bikes out there already. I was honestly trying to point out that his old TY is very capable as it is in the right hands (and I am certainly NOT the "right hands"!!).

BTW, shouldn't you be posting pics of you doing stupid stuff on YOUR old TY's???

In case you need an idea....

Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
How about an early 70's mono Yamaha OW10 replica?
I expect the later Yamaha-Majesty twin shocks also have some chassis updates if someone is looking.

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Garthe

your just plain mean...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
atomicrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the imput. I really am just starting out with trials, so I will see if I can ride the bike first and try not to get bucked off too often.
atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
I expect the later Yamaha-Majesty twin shocks also have some chassis updates if someone is looking.
No doubt...but better save your money!

http://www.yamaha-majesty.com/shop/
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
No doubt...but better save your money!

http://www.yamaha-majesty.com/shop/

Oh. Mygawd.

Good thing they don't have a TY80 Majesty kit. My credit card would be in serious trouble.......
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
your just plain mean...

Who, me or Roadholder?

if it's 'Holder, then I agree. Tempting us with cool pics of unobtanium Works Trials bikes. What was he thinking??

If it's me, well then, clearly I'm the victim here........
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrider View Post
Atomic...

You sir, have a delemma! and I have an opinion (go figure?)

here are some thoughts on some variables, that differ from you me and Brewtus or anyone modding or not modding.

I have been riding since that bike was NEW. I have honda, suzuki, and one montess in the old bikes collection, plus 2 reflexes. I ride 08 raga pro in sub expert class each and every month.

I would say, if it were mine & I had the extra frame, and the ability and the cash for more parts later, then Hell yes! This almost pisses me of to find out 30 years later, that the hot dogs were doing to these bikes back then even. I know the honda and suzuki mods, holey-sheeit, does it make the bike different, and more capable of higher skilled riders. However for a beginner at trials? Then it might be wasted efforts, well maybe only for a little while, as I doubt a beginner would notice the differences... FYI, Steep rakes make a bike less stable on the trails at speeds, for those that arent pretty well versed on trials bikes, this can get someone hurt I guess.... just like if they jump on my pro thinking it would race down the trial like thier 450...

lastly, all I can say to add about this is, Make sure you find out what the people "who know" do to the yamaha frame, dont do suzuki mods to yamaha if you know what i mean. I mean someone has by now tried everything there is to try on the yamaha, and people have filtered down to "meaningfull" mods to do, and specs to aim for, am havent seen it for yamaha, but I dont have one (so I aint looked either).
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
If it's me, well then, clearly I'm the victim here........
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
if it's 'Holder, then I agree. Tempting us with cool pics of unobtanium Works Trials bikes. What was he thinking??
No problem a little bit of money wouldn't solve! OK...a good bit!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Garthe

Ok, since we're talking about mods to the TY 250...does anyone make a aluminum gas tank for the bike?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Ok, since we're talking about mods to the TY 250...does anyone make a aluminum gas tank for the bike?

Aluminum no, but Sammy Miller has this cool TY tank/seat kit-

http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/product706.html

If that is out of you price range (I know it's out of mine!) maybe an aluminum tank off of a '70 Yammie MXer?