User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #46
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,652
Laugh Ok back to the story...

Before cresting the pass I pull into Lolo hot springs for a soup, salad and a beer... As I check the tires and plan to pull the rear edge studs out I notice the fronts are juuuust start'n to peel out. The tread is worn really thin they've got about 2750 miles on them now mostly high speed slab...not too bad I'm think'n.
I'll carry the Stich studs again when I need to stud up only some of the time. As I'm work'n on removal more conversation starts up and when I'm done I move in, to get at the beer and food.

They all know one another and as they accept me they really warm up to me..
Mark ferguson is tending Bar, with the sexy Hattie Crawford sitting...

I can't remember the cool dude who brought out the chow he was super friendly. Mark it turns out is a Musician and he and some guy's are try'n to gather up a few more members to Jamb Southern Rock at the Hotsprings on weekends...(if ya know anybody let me know I'll pass it on) He used to play with the Travis Moon Band...

They were damn good... I believe Molly Hatchett and the likes of 38 Special may have opened for them...
When Gregg Allman of the Allman Bros Band, wrecked his Trans Am in the late 70'searly 80's down in Florida, Mark was in the back seat.... the newspapers never got his I.D. so he was always known just as the backseat guy... Soo I'm going F#*#ing cool beans this 'ol boy's been around the block a time or two too!
I like him... hell I like the whole gang in the Resturaunt/Bar this afternoon...
Conrad who first started talking to me outside with his Beautiful wife, has a BEAUTIFUL daughter too...
My favorite pretty girl of the trip! Nikki...sorry it's blurry finally got her to smile at me and missed the shot

She had a heart surgery when she was just 2yrs young. She had NO energy, a blueish color(lack of 02) and had to have oral oxygen till they realized it was her heart not mixing the Oxygen with the blood. Not a problem with the lungs. So after fixing the 'ol mixer she had /has SUPER energy ! I can attest to that...!^)- Thank you Conrad and family for inviting me in and sharing the warmth with this 'ol traveler......

After shaking hands, taking pics and promising to send Hattie a link via her email(I'll do that now that I've found it again)
I roll on the throttle and play on down the Lochsa....mountains in my eyes....the sweet families from Lolo on my mind...

Im thinking that was the last story of the outbound ride to Idaho since I'm only bout 195mi from Lewiston. But then when I stop for fuel between Kooskia and Kamiah I see the Country Side cafe and it still looks open good I could use some coffee with cocoa to take the chill off. Well it turns out there's a fresh Banana creme pie sitt'n on the counter ....now for 5 yrs I haven't been eating any/much junkfood....but this is handmade food art right, plus I need the calories for bodyheat...yadayadayada I know anyway turns out Cindy has been making pies for oooooh 35+ yrs sooo I'm in LUCK! It's deeeelicious and the chococoffee warms me up, As I'm eat'n (you knew this was coming didn't ya) Sherry my waitress and my wifes name too drop the y put an I....ask me what I'm up to and I tell her about getting my back looked at. She then twells about falling outta a tree stand and breaking the two big bones in her left leg and having surgery in Spokane like me, but for a detatched retina....betcha can't guess how that happened can ya

Ok give up well her 18 year old cat Felix harrrases the dogs every morning and this particular morning, the beagle wants revenge, So as he's chasing the cat (dang fast 18yr old cat huh!) across the bed....PUNCH a beagle paw right into the eye Talk about a wake up call...
So it's back onto the bike and then just mello drift'n turns down the dark warm shadows of the Clearwater....

I get to Lewiston after 2,920miles normally it's around 2,450mi, average speed of 61.57mph 47:20hrs (last year I did with a 74.7mph average... heck with that...no fun atall) Gps say's max speed 110...I dunno I'm think'n error tho I did hit 102mph last summer in a full tuck goin down hill and the bike was lighter this trip...soooo naaa prob not.
So far around 11,000mi on this replacement '99 engine since last October and just a half a pint of oil use I'd say, I love it.

I set up camp in Waynes shop for a couple day's...

Ok I'm head'n up to Elk City for a couple days, see ya on the flip side in May....Peace JJ

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 11:13 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #47
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Good read, thanks for the story!!
Elk City = good burgers

redpillar screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 09:23 AM
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #48
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Back from Snowy Elk City for some more riding

Now that the report is caught up to the arrival into Idaho I'll try to quite ramblin' soo much and condense it down to get up to the current riding. Theres been 3 weeks a rid'n to ketch up.
I just took my first ride today since the surgery and it feels pretty good, so On Tuesday I'll ride up to Northern Idaho to see a Shaman...then on down thru Oregon into Cali...

Okay soon after slid'n into Waynes, I take a ride up the Snake River into Washington and on into Oregon...at about 4700ft I hit snow again and got another 2miles further before having to comeback down ALOT of BEAUTIFUL country up/down there my friends...

Elmer Earl's ranch....Idaho side of the Snake, a remote entry w/ good fish'n and big game.

"Captain Elmer Earl, whose grandparents homesteaded Idaho riverfront on the Snake in the late 1800’s, talks about early steamboat traffic on the river and the gradual evolution from sternwheelers to welded steel mail boats that brought supplies to miners and sheep ranchers then took wool and grain back downstream. Elmer even got to drive one of the sternwheelers as a young boy while his father and the captain played cards!"

This huge ringneck was really strutt'n his stuff for this hen. Blurry cuz taken from 200yds

Here he's drumm'n like a lovesick fool...he was a huge bird dwarfing the hen, roosters are normally 4-5lbs and hens 2.25-3lbs. This 'ol boy looked to be 6.5lbs or better!

At 4700ft

The turn around 2 miles later at 5200ft

Coasting down the canyon video some hail noise on the cam near the end...sorry

Mouth of the Grande Ronde

When I stopped for some oil I saw this... has to be theee wildest bicycle I've ever seen haha...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 09:15 PM
Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #49
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Good read, thanks for the story!!
Elk City = food burgers
You mean GOOD Burgers? Yup and alotta Silence aaand SNOW!
Thanx man
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #50
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Ya thanks JJ I repaired my comment. I can imagine it must be a quiet place in winter. Pretty quiet in summer too.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #51
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Motoring around for a few weeks

The following week I rebuilt Waynes clutches in his 700, then rode up to Spokane to see the Doc.
Waynes shop, it and HE has saved my butt ALOT over the last 79,000miles
That's Wayne against the door

Finally sunshine...

After the Doc say's he'll pull the metal out in two weeks I head down the east side of Lake Couer d' Alene

Somethin' juuust did'nt sound right here

I like old wooden train bridges, this ones in Santa......

I like this idea too...

The sign was here in Clarkia Idaho (known for Star Garnets and Fossils) at the J&E stop.

Then the Elk River scenic by-way across the Dent bridge into Orifino, Turns out a couple day's after the ride, the road slid down the Mtn near the bridge sooo glad I got down thru when I did...gonna be a while till they fix that.

Looking S.West down the Dworshak Res from the Dent bridge

Musta seen 50 Elk in a few miles

End of the day

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 09:25 PM
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #52
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking OK two weeks to kill let's go ride up to N.Central Washington!

The old 606 after 2920mi ran with studs

The Karoo after 1800mi 1/2 the time studded. It's a much shorter /80 series tire compared to the /90series 606. Good thing I made the kickstand adjustable...even had to put a half turn on the Cogent Moab shock to keep the bike stable at high speed

Head'n NW down the Snake, saw alota Beauty this day!^)- Mosta the pics are on the fly

An old Hardware next to a Bank...fitting since I'm a contractor and Sherri's a banker Pluus I like the name
it's in Winnona

Found alota dirt today ended up rid'n about half of 350mi in it ooh yea!) just zigzagg'n across the state avoiding main roads till Odessa
This is fork seal leak and clean/fix #1 for the trip...

Still pretty brisk out

I popped onto the John Wayne Trail here. An old rail bed i think, it's NOT a motor vehicle route, but hey if the ranchers can run it...

Came to this locked gate when I hit a paved road

So I ran an 1/8thmi up the fenceline to this ranchers gate and popped onto the slab for a bit

Rolled into Odessa the Friday of the Stump Jumpers Desert 100, and with fresh 606's Maaan I was feel'n tempted buuut I had made plans to be at the Ranch tonight sooo...next year??? Saw a few bikes at the local watering holes and thot about some convo buut again had other plans.

Got to Grand Coulee and pulled into Pepper Jack's (good food and Friendly, I always stop ) had a Cowboy chicken w/beer aaand met the Sexy Ashley She told me about a Bar Museum in Murray Idaho, a town funded by this Brothel owner woman. The story is in the Bar...Greeeaat now I gotta ride to Murray after I see the Shaman woman tomorrow 5/3/11...hmmmm

Was just gett'n onto a full moon....Ow ow oawhoooooo ow ow ow aaowhooooooooo ow ow ow ow ow AOWHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

After this video I take Moses Meadows/Lyman Lake road across the 21mi long 4000ft high dirt, snow and mud road under a near full moon gett'n at it at about 45-50mph it's a BLAST!
I get to the Magic bar...

Some Beer, some Fungus, some Friends aaand we're feel'n miiiighty fine! I had'nt seen Sean my Bro-n-law in almost 2yrs

Another vid I'm feel'n preettty warm and just soaking it all in, rock'n the camera to Janes addiction. The guy talking is Richard and he's got about 9 NEAR DEATH stories REEAALLY good ones too!
(Note: he's not tell'n anyn here tho :(

Welp that ends the day and whata a good one it was...lotsa blue sky, lotsa dirt, no traffic, and a trippy reunion at the Magic bar...aaah I'm in heaven

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 09:46 PM
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Riding the Northwest till surgery

I spent the next few weeks on the Ranch, ripping around Washington, Idaho and a bit of Montana. Then after meeting with the Doc I had two weeks to ride before going under the knife. Then a week and a half to recover... then more riding.

Back to the ranch next morning after the re entry from happy land...
some headbutt'n goin' on

I headed toward my home town of Bridgeport Wa for breakfast and some riding in the Okanogan National forest where I rode as a kid!I decide to hit up Chilowist where dad and I rode alot

I head for Three devils pass to try'n go up then over and down into Brewster

Once again I'm stopped by SNOW haha this year 'Ol man Winter juuuust is'nt letting go so fast!

Went back down to take Northstar road instead (lower elev.) and met a cool guy with two horses pulling a wagon. He was getting them in shape for an upcoming guided trip he was doin.
I reached for the camera to take his pic aaand it was gone! Shoot backup to the Three devils to look for it...thru the first big snow patch aaall over again
Found it so on into Chiliwist from the Paradise hill side

Found alota roads that were now closed... aahh well times they are a chang'n
Like the fella in the wagon sung to me a few miles back....
Signs Signs everywhere there's Signs
Blocking up the scenery, Breaking up my mind
Do this, Don't do that Can't you read the sign
And the Sign says " Anybody caught tresspassing will be Shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and yelled at the house...
WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT.... To put up a fence and keep me out
Or to keep Mother nature in!
If God was here He'd tell it to your face.... MAN YOUR SOME KINDA SINNER

And with this in my mind I rode...miles a snow behind me

And miles in front...once again I turn back

This is the bank that I hit back when I was 15...
Story is me and two older guy's who worked at the Dam were coming down the hill from a 3 Day Kegger paarty up on Paradise.
It's a short nose '62 Chevy van and I'm sitt'n on a spare tire in the back behind the only two seats in the van.
We're coming down a leeeetle bit HOT and the van starts to slide around... it nails the mountainside almost dead square, head on, but still slightly sideways!

This smashes the winshield out from two heads hitt'n it, caves in the front..... aaaaand spits me out the side barn doors!
I'm on my back crab crawling as fast as I can while also sliding, and the van is sliding closer and closer.........we both come to a stop at the same time and I'm thanking The Great Spirit that I'm not a Sausage pancake another near death experience onto the list

Near Chiliwist is my 'ol Racing buddy Kevin Cornet's Moto-X park/practice track gotta clean off the KLR and take a few laps....LOL

I took alot of GoPro today but havn't got the upload figured out yet... 4-11-2011

While trying to find a way to ride up around Rat lake on Cougar Canyon Rd (more signs and closed roads) I meet up with Cass Gebbers (their family seems to own half the mountain now) Turns out he remembers me and tells me he used to race with me back in the day.... and rattles off all the guy's we raced with in the 70's, some still racing. WOW talk about flash back.... Lotsa memories
And that Keith Walstead, who I remembered racing with who now owns the Wagon Wheel in nearby Mallot and another I'm not sure where, so I stopped in for beer and a burger.
While there I meet a guy who used to party and ride with Malcom Smith in the Southwest who had lotsa stories to tell, and another guy who crashed his bike in 1979 in a dessert race near Bend, Oregon. Broke his leg, arm, hip ribs etc...Really Bad....He quite riding bikes then...11 surgeries in the arm alone, grafts etc...

Then while stopped in Omak to gear up I see Glenn Jones again (I met him the other day at Kevins Moto-X park) Really cool dude who races MX and rides alot. He used to Snowmobile hardcore too, so we spend at least an hour and a half Bs'n! :)
He's alot like me HIGH energy and a bad accident and seriously broken up about the time I was....He has healed well too, using a positive mind over matter approach.

As I head back to the Ranch I see some Muleys wanting to cross

Next morning 4-13-11 down to the Co-Op in Tonasket for the wifi and food, while there I meet Richard Salsky a Russian descendant, as I'm working the RR. He rides an old R-GS BMW, he passed up a cheap deal on an GS from Portland for $2,000- it was just too tall for him. Then a group of ladies celebrating Ann's birthday party, they share the cake too. Then another guy with cute daughter and her boyfriend sit down it's the guy's B-day too haha 2-Bday's 2day.

Ann on the left in this pic...

Fork seal fix #2

At Seatons grove boat lauch just below Grand Coulee Dam, I do alot of Walleye fishing pout of here!^)-

http://www.usbr.gov/pn/grandcoulee/pubs/factsheet.pdf
It used to be the Worlds largest Dam and also the largest producer of electricity in the world... Still pretty impressive

More dirt roads above Nespelem on Aeneas Valley road and Gold creek road along the West branch of the San Poil

I hit allota mud which would be no prob 'cept I'm riding a 600lb bike Whoa!

Cool car at the Aeneas valley store...

Back to the Ranch ...

We branded the calves and such which I already covered then I rode torward Lewiston to get a car for use during recovery.
Had a good fire

Woke, looked out the window one last time, picked up Desiree' then pointed her south.

Good bye Paisley....luv you too...

My plan is to ride back roads to Inchelium then cross the Gifford ferry and zig zag over to Spokane to meet some cool guy's from KLR world some are at the ORV park near Liberty Lake

More snow as I wanna take all the fun back roads... So I take Twin lakes road, hoping to cut up and over then back down onto Co Hwy2 Bridge Creek rd.

Aaand again I'm stopped by Snow hahahahahahah, buuut hey...... It's FUN!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 10:10 PM
Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #54
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

thanks I needed that.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #55
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Onward Ho!

I reach Inchelium pronounced "Incha -lee-um" and saw he cool paintings again

Then it's fork seal clean and fix #3 you can just see the fork oil on the side case and tool tube

They've got the Columbia down about 20' for work on the Dam

I was told in Inchelium that the Ferry would'nt be running till maybe 4pm soo I rode up to Kettle Falls and back down...About an hour and 50mi or so. As I got back down to the Giffird/Inchelium Ferry it was coming accross... What! Oh well it was/is always a nice ride

They were doin alotta work to lower the Ferry rails down the bank

Then on thru Hunters and East to Springdale toward Liberty Lake

The Spokane River from Hwy 231 below Long Lake

Somehow I seem to have lost the Liberty lake and on down to Lewiston pics but I ended up getting to LL ORV to late, so I called Rick (aka Alpha One Nine) from KLR world and he, Spokane Dave, NosnowBob, and Eric (Hagnet) met me at a Red Robbins for some beer and burger. It was short but good to put faces on the net names you hear from.
Then it was get in car mode for a week and go back to Spokane, pick up Sherri have surgery and hang out at the Ranch with family Sherri hadn't seen in 3 yrs.

Sunset on Coeur d' Alene
Sis doin the re-bandaging

Cuuuz Sweet Sherri isssn't sooo good with blood and these types of things... poor girl

After part of a wonderful week in which the new to Sherri niece Paisley and her fell madly in love, and Nephew Randy and her rekindled their love Of course hang'n with my Sis alway's makes my spirit soar... I was Adopted at birth, soo we never knew each other until about 1998. Glad we do now tho!!
We had to head south to get Sherri back on a plane east.... Poor giiirl

Saw some bikers leaving Pepper Jacks, they commented on the cold..?? I mention leaving Pa last March and the temps... this waaas toasty!

Last goodbye hug............

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 05:08 PM Reason: Changes
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #56
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
.... Then the takers (our culture) sailed over............
Hey man, Ishmael would be proud of ya, glad you're ridin', glad you're posting. Keep spreadin' the word.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #57
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Good stuff, JJ. Like many have said and many more have thought: "You lucky, lucky SOB..."

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #58
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Hey man, Ishmael would be proud of ya, glad you're ridin', glad you're posting. Keep spreadin' the word.
Yup reckon he would.... Hit 'em upsida the head with some truth....
HaHa and some love. Thanx for the encouragement Jake
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #59
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Good stuff, JJ. Like many have said and many more have thought: "You lucky, lucky SOB..."
Thanx mang much appreciated....I'm try'n to convince EVERYONE their a lucky SOB!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #60
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Laugh Back at Waynes Magic Shop....

Funny how the Bar and the Shop are both Magic...buuut they are trust me
So Waynes up to his elbows painting this cute '69 V6 Jeep he just sold, guy wants it black like Waynes '77 CJ5. He's also Gung-Ho on getting his Baja Bug tuned up and in. He used the Jeep sale money to buy it from a guy up in Elk City, it's got all the goodies but the guy who assembled it...... Let's just say left ALOT to be desired and ALOT for Wayne to fix!!!
Front and rear bumper/guards glassing the hood, skid plates, wiring, lighting etc............Before and during pics.

Some after shots

It's a real head turner especially the kids all giving him peace signs and thumbs up as he drives by...

This is the Kewel Crew from Waffles n More...Shane the maaain Chef

Mosta the kitchen Crew: Richard, Charlotte, Shane, Eric/a, and Tommy the crazy cool kid who comes outta the kitchen spinning the dish tubs on his finger tips

Becky the owner on the front left Amy facing her ,then Rachael
Rear is Danni, Alex"Pepino Nina" hiding her face...baaad girl, and always smil'n Kimmi aaan dang Shane snuck in again.

Then I'm feel'n up for a short Jeep ride up the Snake to the Grande Ronde, the back is still tender but Wayne has net support Racing style Jetboat seats in the CJ and it's all good.
I saw this monument and had to stop to pray...

Buffalo Eddy DEEP water and a Sacred Native site full of Petroglyph/Pictographs

This Rock Art associated with Nez Perce and pre-Nez Perce tribes consists of hundreds of images in dense clusters dating from 4500 years ago. Some potentially historic ranching features on the Idaho side of the Snake River set a scene of the rural West. This is the most interesting petroglyph site I have been to. The main reason is the location is a spiritual place to just stand and look around and the artwork is hypnotizing. The method of carving into the rock here is mainly patination although on the Idaho side there is some later period pictograph art. Patination petroglyph is a pecking through the dark patina on the basalt bedrock characteristic of these areas. This patina, sometimes called desert varnish, is a brown to black stain that colors exposed rock surfaces. It occurs most often on stones in hot arid portions of the world. Some scientists suggest that this patina forms due to chemical weathering and leaching of iron and manganese oxides from the stone, while others hypothesize that airborne microorganisms oxidize these minerals and concentrate them on the rock surface. In either case, the process is a slow one and desert varnish takes considerable time to develop. When a petroglyph is pecked or carved through the patina on a rock surface, it exposes the lighter colored interior stone and creates a negative image, with the paler petroglyph showing on an otherwise dark background. If conditions for patina development still exist after the petroglyph is made, the newly exposed surfaces gradually begin to acquire the desert varnish. After a long period the design will be repatinated; it will have essentially the same patina as the unaltered rock face. Although repatination of petroglyph designs does not provide an absolute age (since exposure, temperature, humidity, and other factors influence the rate of patina formation), petroglyphs repatinating differently on the same surface are useful for creating a relative chronology. At Buffalo Eddy, Nesbitt (1968) described two rock art styles. A naturalistic style shown first in the pictures above with primarily mountain sheep, deer, and humans wearing horned headdresses, while a (lower rocks) "graphic" style is composed of triangles, circles, dots, and lines arranged in geometric patterns. At Buffalo Eddy, the naturalistic petroglyphs are usually repatinated, some very heavily. In contrast, the graphic designs are reported as fresher looking and cut through the patina on the rock surface. In this case, the naturalistic drawings of men and mountain sheep clearly seem older than the graphic geometric designs. A unique characteristic of some of the human depictions here is that human bodies are drawn with a triangle with wide side up. There is art on the rocks on both sides of the river, but you must bring a canoe or kayak or other boat to cross over. This is fairly easy crossing if you do it above the strong eddies and then follow the shore on the Idaho side to the left side of the rock masses where there is a nice landing beach. Follow the trails to see the petroglyphs. Get your boat off the beach as there are tour boats coming in all day in the summer. The land owner allows people to come, but expects them to stay on the trails, respect the property and basically help out with some of the sprinkler chores around the place. Observe the signs.
Cautions: Wear life jackets if you are going to attempt to cross where the eddies are strong. I suggest crossing above the strong eddies as there are stories of logs and people being sucked down here. There is a local story that a party in a canoe tried to steal a smaller boulder in their canoe and on the way back, the boulder, canoe, and paddlers sunk to the bottom. Be careful climbing on the rocks as the shapes are constantly varying and surprising. Do not climb on the rocks when not necessary as that could show disrespect for them. On the Washington side you must climb on the rocks to view them, but not on the Idaho side.
Look at how the water has shaped the rocks too....pics from '08

Mick on the Hunt... Doin' what he does best

Silent Sentinels.........or can we hear them I think sooo

to be continued....

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 09:10 AM