Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #76
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
Fantastic photography, great RR. Look forward to following your trip. Best Wishes. Rod
rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #77
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,694
Talking Thank you kind sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod1 View Post
Fantastic photography, great RR. Look forward to following your trip. Best Wishes. Rod
Thank you thank you!
Yup I'm using an Olympus 1030w and it's about the MOST bomb proof little camera you can get, and fully waterproof too!
I've dropped mine off the bike at 75mph+ 4 times in the last 2-1/2yrs and nooo problems, plus many 6ft drops onto concrete. Case get's chewed up but functions A-ok.
Impressive camera for sure and the quality is pretty good too, I don't often stop to take a pic but shoot on the fly. It's such a compact piece that I just keep it velcro'd to the tank bag all day long then reach down and grab it for shots. About $369- new
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #78
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking ooooooooookay where were we............

Here's a paragraph I just added to the day of the Shaman ride as I was heading for Murray....
"As I'm zipping around the sand covered twisties of 9 Mile Creek (from the recent snows) I'm pushing it way hard again....almost scrap'n pegs and due to the sand praaaaabably shouldn't have been. I slide out on a right hander, the bike goes left then right and I manage to save her...then like a fool I gas it as to say to the Gods...that's right I'm good, I'm cooool... sooooo then she kicks out again left then right.... I'm down with my left foot pinned under the bike! Nice goin' dude...the Doc would be proud of ya 2weeks outta surgery. Cocky fooooowell. So I shut off the fuel and fight a while to get my leg freed. I do and go a bit SLOWER for the remainder of the road. My left big toe is HURT'N and shifting will be tender for several weeks to come. Lesson learned, not too biga price to pay for a bit of a lesson...thank you Great Spirit."

Ok back to the ride down from Seans...I'd been zig zagging down thru eastern Wa taking back roads trying to get to the Lyons Ferry crossing of the Snake via dirt.
I get to a point where the GPS shows that I can get to a bluff overlooking the river sooo I head thata way!

I come to a gate and meet a couple ranchers coming the other way...I ask about this road getting to the river... he say's yea but theirs nothing to see....I say buuut I'd like to get there and take some pics, it's what I do... I'll shut all the gates like I found them... He say's go ahead...

I get to the river and a locked gate...so I decide to got overland and also some old old roads, trying to make it over near Palouse Falls...

Old cabin/hunt'n cabin w/outhouse in a small secluded draw...

Then I start riding overland toward the river...kinda wished I'd had the 15 or 14 tooth counter sprockets on....oh well 16 will have to do.
I took very few pics buut ALOT of GoPro, tho as I said before I need to learn to edit and post it up...

As I ride toward the river I see two groups of about a dozen Mulies... the first group is being stalked by two.....? I think Wolves... Maaan their waaay to big to be Coyotes! I'm scratch'n my head as they haul ass away as I aproach.
I get to a 300ft bluff overlooking the Snake... and film a Redtail hawk as he rides the thermals hunting and screaching looking for mice and moles...
If you look behind the bike the far ridge is where I road down from, it was an awesome ride and like I said the pics don't do the technical aspect justice...crossing ravines and climbing stone covered slopes, super fun to be there.

The pics don't do justice to the terrain I was riding buut there all I can show you right now...I end up seeing Whitetails, Mulies, Elk, Wolves?, Cattle, Marmots and lotsa birds. After a few more gates and ranch outpost's I get back onto the Hwy near Palouse falls and go to check them out...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 03:38 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #79
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Onward we go as I head for Climax......

At the Falls I see Climax on the GPS and decide I've gotta see what's there?......

No buildings nothing erected nada...not a thing...just goes to show ya don't need anything erect to reach Climax...
Looks to be an old Railroad bed, I can't find any history on a quick google search...

Nearby I roll into Prescott and find the Tuxedo... time for beer n beef...

I meet Charlie and Burt, as we talk of the economy and such Charlie say's "My roomate lost her job and is now on disability, it stinks cuz we could use the bill money..." I'm thinking yup yup that stinks..." yea she caught her earring on her ankle bracelet and fell off the pool table..." hahaha I've been had! I'm deffinately in the right place let's go in and eat. Charlies the big funny one...

You can tell I've been awaaay from Sherri toooo loooong since I notice All these things...

They all try to get me to stay in town tonight, there's a band playing and lotsa fun to be had...Burt just moved into town last month and ask if I wanna walk over and check his place out (his dad said he can have the house if he finishes paying it off...he doesn't owe much!) He's been extracting Hydrogen from H2O and making Alchohol in a still from grain to fuel his generator, car and other small engines.

He say's I've got a place to stay whenever I pass through again... I thank him for his kindness and head her east into the wind and thundershowers again...
Oh and there was an 'ol Sportster in the garage that came with the house... lucky dude 'ol Burt!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 10:56 AM
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #80
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking Time to play in Idaho some more...

We decide to head down Eagle creek to the Salmon on wheelers...we go down every couple years. It's always fun and usually an ADVENTURE! There have been some long days turned into nights getting back up and out... The road is ALOT better now though.
It's a group ride today Wayne, his bro John, me, Fred and his girlfriend her daughters, and a boyfriend and another couple Dave aaand ???? my baad.

It's cold and raining lightly...tho it's always warmer down on the Salmon..when we get there.

About 3 miles in and Dave and his girl on the Grizzly knock a front tire bead loose.... a 45min strap job and air then we go again. It's some pretty rutted snow but fun for all.

vv Video below vv

Bout half way down Wayne tells me I've gotta spread Johns ashes on that knob up there when he kicks...Video vv

We stop near the bottom to shoot some pistols, aaand I'm the only one to hit the 12gauge shell 20yds away all the years as a Professional archer pay off! It's a S&W 357

After the group rides down to the river I look up and see this hill climb...

IT IS STEEP! The CanAm 650 pulls like a champ, I've got my right leg on the rear rack and am leaning up over the bars...
Looking over my shoulder from the top... as far as the tracks I could see, I climbed higher than anyone in a looong time maaaybe EVER, cuz there weren't any that were higher!
I just gotta be CRAZY!!!
As I'm clinging to the sheer wall I wonder if anyone will loop back wondering where I'm at??? As no one does I'm glad... BECAUSE I DON"T need any distractions!!!!

It's THAT STEEP! I have to back down about 35yds before attempting a side hill turnaround!!! SO I HAVE TO FOCUS...I'm leaning WAAAY over the bars keeping them near my waist while my right foot is still locked into the rack...
Side views up and down Eagle creek from my perch...

The view looking up from the top/end of the climb...

OK back to the climb/decent.. I've had a LOT of rushes this trip and this one in at or near the top! One mistake and my buddy Waynes girlfriend Sena's CanAm is rolling down an 1/8th mile to TOTAL DESTRUCTION!
You can kinda see how far I'm leaning by the bar under my arm as I take the pic...

I inch down (I'm not exagerating I INCH DOWN) 3" then 6" then only a fraction of an inch... the front end lifting up off the hillside almost every time I stop the decent....another 2 inches...an inch... then I get a whole foot... EASY NOW that causes a big wheelie!!!
No matter how far I can lean off the front... it lifts...IT IS A RUSH aaafter the fact but on the hill I'm 200% focused!
After 35yds or so and about 10 minutes I get to the slightest of a relief in the pitch, then it goes back to the same pitch... it's now or never!
Looking up at my progress/regress...the turnaround point just up the hill in the pic as I slooowly back down.

So I survive and meet the others a couple miles down near China creek it's a bit warmer buut a fire still warms us as we share beers and snacks.

It's a TOTAL blast as the 650 is clutched to perfection and just plain RIPS! Waynes 800 is ripping too after we found him a transmission from a 650 last week to gear it down some!
Then it's time to head back up, I give a layer to one of the younger girls caus she's wet and a bit cold. Then up up and away...
John and I are stopping to let the others get out ahead so we can......FLY and we DO! I am impressed CanAm has got these things spot on!
About 3/4 up I loop back to find John with a low tire and one about off the rim.

Another 20yds and their both off the rim... Freds pump is shot and the good pumps are looong gone sooo we try to get him up and out... It takes me pulling him by his winch strap and him doin all he can to follow and stay on his wheeler.

We rip and tear the last couple miles smiling the whole way... Eagle Creek NEVER let's you out without EXTRACTING some payment...it's just the way it is!

Short Video summary of the day...VV

When I get the GoPro figured out I'll go back and insert it into the days...got alot of IT! lots today too!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 07:06 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #81
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Cool2 Regroup, prep the bike and head for Sabastopol California.....Goodbye Idaho:(

Bike prep...

Testing my/Desiree's new Double-Take mirror on the right side...

I LIKE EM ALOT!http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/d...m/cat_109.html

The 606 after 2950miles not too baad...

It's Wed the 11th and I've gotta plane leaving 9a.m. Friday soo gotta roll quick...
I try to take the backway up Joseph and Horse creeks again to get to Imnaha Oregon.

I stop at the Fish Weir to see if Cody's around, only to meet Heather again and her cute friend/co-fisherwoman Montana...

Wow cool name I say, aaand what middle name does a girl with Montana as her first name have?.... Rose...Montana Rose. Thats a pretty name right!?
They're both bubbly so we talk of the day and I tell them my plans to get to the Sacremento by Friday to sneak home to Sherri for our 23rd Anniversary on Sat. The fish count has been waay up this week compared to the last time I stopped by, then it's up up and away into Oregon.

I paln to drop a Miguel Ruiz book off at Mark Ramsdens place and just down the road see this Black Bear hightailing it outta the way.

Then to Marks place for book drop then up the canyon where he's working...

Hello to all my friends...

My fav sticker that Wayne got off a downed sign last year...

This is as far as anyone else had gone... I decide to go further....

About a 125yds further... had to pull the gear off to lighten Desiree' then push next to her to get to a turn around spot, then work my way back to the dirt! It's hot and I'm gett'n sweaty, not to mention Desiree's fan running all the time!
A couple hours are starting to fade away as I'm aware of my deadline...buuut I wanna do this ride the fun waaaay!) Not a beeline!(

Work'n my way back the rut toward dirt again... I shut off ma lights offroad ,buut in the drop musta hit the switch.
Back to the easy half dirt-half snow road LOL.

The Seven Devils again off to my Southeast...

Ultra short snow Video...musta hit the off switch VV

Now I've gotta back track to Cayouse creek road and hit 129 south to the rattlesnake grade over the Grande Ronde. Still a fun TWISTYride for sure but 100miles outta the way...I remind my self it's a BEAUTIFUL DAY and what better place to spend some time eh? :)

Spelled differently, but I'm think'n a ma girl!^)-

This is Zindel...it's Historic

Coming up on the Wallowas

Golden eagle in flight then he attacks...

I always feel verrry spiritual and connected in this part of the Country... No wonder the Nez Perce held it as SUCH a Sacred place...

I stop to kneel and somberly pay my respects to the 'ol Chief....also I leave a Spirit rock from Montana from my Shaman ride...

Last pretty girl pic of the day...downtown Joseph.

With the sun setting and immenent rain coming again, I ride onto La Grande for some peaceful rest this night...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 10:49 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #82
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Every update is a great read.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #83
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Every update is a great read.
Thanx bud.
I am seeing some BEAUTIFUL country aaand meeting some BEAUTIFUL people.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #84
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
hey Jim, you passing out THE FOUR AGREEMENTS by michael angel ruiz? a little TOLTEC wisdom?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #85
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking Toltec Wisdom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
hey Jim, you passing out THE FOUR AGREEMENTS by michael angel ruiz? a little TOLTEC wisdom?
Yup sometimes a pack of four including The Voice of Knowledge and Fifth Agreement... Mark said he had read The Four Agreements and The Mastery of Love when I met him up on his ranch....So when I passed thru again I gave him a copy of The Fifth Agreement I had been carrying. The girls I met got The Four Agreements and Mastery of Love. I'm glad my sista Natasha turned me onto don Miguel Ruiz years back....just took a few years to sink in LOL!
Daniel Quinn has some good things to say too...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #86
el guapo nada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
powerful stuff....

.....this is, meaning your RR and the attitude/philosophy....LOVIN IT!

If you find yourself in or around The Dalles, lemmee know, as a fellow enthusiast ( & & ), I would love to meet and share the universe for awhile.....

Best of journey's to you Jim.....you rock man!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #87
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 768
Your love of life, people, and places shines off every page. Fantastic, inspiring RR

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #88
TwoWheelExplorer
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 291
Good stuff, Jim!

I grew up between Noxon and Thompson Falls, near Trout Creek, and it's always fun to see the roads of home in somebody's RR. I need to get back again soon.

'08 FJR1300A, '93 Ducati 900SL | iShootYouLive(My Photos) | $5 Smugmug Coupon
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St Augustine
TwoWheelExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #89
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo nada View Post
.....this is, meaning your RR and the attitude/philosophy....LOVIN IT!

If you find yourself in or around The Dalles, lemmee know, as a fellow enthusiast ( & & ), I would love to meet and share the universe for awhile.....

Best of journey's to you Jim.....you rock man!
Thanx Bud, was check'n out some of your ride links...Kewewll stuff, pics and thot's...gotta take the time to look thru all of them
Yea man when I get out here again and over your way we gotta do some rid'n and hang a bit WoooHooo! Sooo many great roads and Sooo much time
Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #90
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Thank you...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm View Post
Your love of life, people, and places shines off every page. Fantastic, inspiring RR
Thank you VERY much I'm glad that I can be of service ...:)
It IS a WONDERFUL world when we get our heads out of our... I mean in the right frame of mind isn't it!