Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #61
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Front end

Forks
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #62
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Bearings

Bearings
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #63
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Boots

"Going back together, going to get some boots to cover the upper portion of forks in triple tree, and boots for the slider portion also."
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #64
John Steed
Too cheap to buy one

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
Bearings
That's one nasty bearing!

What's wrong with the handlebar, is it welded back together?

Also, nice job with the Tach and speedo

Keep it up!

Rebuilding an SRX 400, as to be my first bike!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661797

John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #65
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steed View Post
That's one nasty bearing!

What's wrong with the handlebar, is it welded back together?

Also, nice job with the Tach and speedo

Keep it up!

You see it right. That's a weld on the right side of the clamp (left side in the picture). I'm thinking a set of ATV high motorcross style bars would fit the bill nicely. Those would sit him stright up in the typical adventure seating position.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #66
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Thumb Vxa 800

I agree that high ATV bars will be an excellent choice.

How far you can get the clutch and throttle cables as well as the front brake line to reach is the limiting factor unless you are planning to replace them. I used super bike bars and had to reroute the cables to get them not to bind.
If you are planning to make longer cables (probably a good idea anyway) you can make them plenty long to allow a wide variety of bar choices.

The electrical wires to the controls will probably need to have some extra length spliced in too.

Looking good!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #67
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I agree that high ATV bars will be an excellent choice.

How far you can get the clutch and throttle cables as well as the front brake line to reach is the limiting factor unless you are planning to replace them. I used super bike bars and had to reroute the cables to get them not to bind.
If you are planning to make longer cables (probably a good idea anyway) you can make them plenty long to allow a wide variety of bar choices.

The electrical wires to the controls will probably need to have some extra length spliced in too.

Looking good!
Thanks for the info, JagLite. We had talked about extending the brake and clutch lines (I think it has a hydraulic clutch, but now I'm not sure). Anyway, we've done that before on UJMs. I didn't think about the wires. That's an easy fix, just time consuming. Good thing Dad is retired and has absolutely nothing else to do other than play with his toys.
Wait till next year when you see pictures of this bike on a trip to Prudhoe Bay. I was thinking or riding my GS, but he's having so much fun with this, I've been eyeing my Buell tuber Lightning lately for a conversion. It isn't worth much anymore anyway and has almost as much suspension travel as a Ulysses (I say almost as much, but in reality mine has almost 5 and Ulys have over 6). Anyway, it has more than an XR1200 in the rear and guys are doing light adventure rides on those. If it works out, I'll post my conversion on: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330726 "Converted to dual-sport" thread.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #68
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Keep up the great work, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #69
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Thumb Prudhoe Bay ride

I am looking forward to the finished bike pictures too.

And all the in between build pictures and comments.

If you swing through Anchorage before or after the ride up the haul road, maybe I can see the bike in person. You could stop by Alaska Leather and get a sheepskin seat cover so you blend in with the rest of the Long Rangers up here.

This week there was a VX on craigslist for a reasonable (for the good condition) price of $2,500. I thought about looking at it but I am forcing myself to limit bike buying to only 1 per month and I have already bought the April bike.

Tonight there is another two bikes I like at great prices on CL... Must use self control....
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #70
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Vxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I am looking forward to the finished bike pictures too.

And all the in between build pictures and comments.

If you swing through Anchorage before or after the ride up the haul road, maybe I can see the bike in person. You could stop by Alaska Leather and get a sheepskin seat cover so you blend in with the rest of the Long Rangers up here.

This week there was a VX on craigslist for a reasonable (for the good condition) price of $2,500. I thought about looking at it but I am forcing myself to limit bike buying to only 1 per month and I have already bought the April bike.

Tonight there is another two bikes I like at great prices on CL... Must use self control....

Hello JagLite, My Son and I were talking a few days ago about weather or not we would get to see anyone on our trip that we communicate with on this forum. Anchorage is on our route and we will be looking forward to stoping by. Maybe if you don't mind, you could help us out with road conditions and other helpfull info. Thanks for watching out progress.

LikeItLoud
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #71
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Likeitloud the Drunk Uncle here. The other one on the great alaska expidition next August. I did have my dad interested in going until I mentioned camping. I have to give him credit though he is a goldwinger. I don't think they do much roughin it. I will buying the fiance a V Strom 650 that I will use for the ride to alaska. Unfortunately there really aren't any tires for the Ulysses for the Dalton HWY and that 17" front can get squirrely on the slick stuff.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #72
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Likeitloud the Drunk Uncle here. The other one on the great alaska expidition next August. I did have my dad interested in going until I mentioned camping. I have to give him credit though he is a goldwinger. I don't think they do much roughin it. I will buying the fiance a V Strom 650 that I will use for the ride to alaska. Unfortunately there really aren't any tires for the Ulysses for the Dalton HWY and that 17" front can get squirrely on the slick stuff.

Hello Drunk Uncle, It's good to hear from you. Even though the trip is still over 15 months away, it feels good to be excited about it and already prepairing for it. I'm sure you have already heard about some of our bike trips, so you know we are up to it. It will be a 9000 mile round trip. I plan to come down so we head out together. Maybe someone else out there has good experience with a 17" tire that will be helpfull. Thanks for checking in Drunk_Uncle. Will be communicating with you.

LikeItLoud
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #73
John Steed
Too cheap to buy one

Oddometer: 223
Well, you can ask that guy for the tyres:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578506

17 inch front, I think Avon? Can't remember, pm him!

Also, you can use a rear to the front, not a big deal, as I have read from here, alot of people do it, ie on the Versys for a little dual sport capability!

Hope I was helpful, best of luck, will be watching!!

Rebuilding an SRX 400, as to be my first bike!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661797

John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #74
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
I am running a 120/70-17 Avon Distanzia on the front of my Buell.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #75
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Gas Tank

New paint. Now it really will be the most unusual VX (A) ever!
Attached Images