User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
olddirtguy23 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Help! NASA Rally Moto Question........

Thinking of running Sandblast 2015. I'm 57 years old, and raced moto x and hare scrambles in the 70's and 80's and for fun ever since in Florida. I won my share of races, but too old and out of shape to compete anymore. However I would like to give Rally Moto a try. Particularly "Sandblast".

I have no Idea how this works as far as navigation is concerned. I read the FAQ on the NASA web site, and pretty much have a handle on everything else. I see they have a scroll, but how does it work? Do you turn it manually? I can't imagine trying to keep up with that and race the course at speed. The videos I have watched tell me nothing. Some never move, some are tiny on the handlebar, some are large center mount, and some don't even have one.

Can someone give me some insight, or point me in the right direction. Thanks!
olddirtguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 361
All pretty simple really. As a noob I was over concerned with the details of the roll chart.
No expert by any means but now have 4 sandblasts under my belt and hoping to be back next year.
As a new rally competitor you will be required to attend the class Friday before the event and it is really very helpful with clarifying the high points as a competitor. Better than that even is the help available throughout the day. All the riders slow or fast are down to earth and happy to answer questions you may have.
Come do it. Ride your pace and you will have a ball.
I'm joing the 50 club this year myself and I look forward to this event every year. You will love the whole scene!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
You don't have to worry about going off the stage, they cordon off any connecting roads with volunteers and yellow caution tape. You can learn to read tulips during the transits. The biggest thing about multi single day stage day rally]s is learing the time keeping and checking in on time. Just make sure your bike is up to the regs and go for it.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 937
Sandblast

This was my first race this year and I was in the same boat as you. The only difference was I have a friend who has done it a few times. You don't read the roll chart while on the stage racing. Or I didn't that is. It was just on the transit stages you need to keep track and follow them. I cut the race stage notes out. The other part was keeping track of your time during the transit stage. Have to check in on time ( your min) so u had two clocks just in case. Also I found everyone around you is willing to help. Ask the guy in from and behind what their min is and then you will have yours. For my first one I did not get any penalties so guess my math was ok lol. I was an awesome race and will be doing it again next year.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
olddirtguy23 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the info guys, that helps a lot. Nice to know you can just race by the seat of your pants. Sounds like it wouldn't be any harder to stay on course than a hare scramble.

olddirtguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddirtguy23 View Post
I have no Idea how this works as far as navigation is concerned. I read the FAQ on the NASA web site, and pretty much have a handle on everything else. I see they have a scroll, but how does it work? Do you turn it manually? I can't imagine trying to keep up with that and race the course at speed. The videos I have watched tell me nothing. Some never move, some are tiny on the handlebar, some are large center mount, and some don't even have one.
You'll be issued a 2.25" roll chart. It will fit in an enduro chart holder. Some folks have big (approximately 5 inch) holders... just extra weight. Those are for Dakar-sized books.

No one uses the tulips to navigate the stages: the stages are taped shut and marshaled. Most folks cut the stages out of the roll, it's nice to pull them out of your pocket before a stage and review just to look for gotchas then put it back in your pocket.

Everything is on an actual ROAD, so if you're fit enough to ride on dirt, you're fit enough for this.

Anders
Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
make sure you can ride a bike from dawn until dust or longer...
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote