Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
DaCarl blog - Dakar 2015

Hello all.

Since my racing friends Team Berglund brothers from Sweden already started a thread here on the same topic I cannot be any less, so here's my own thread. First of all, to let you know the background you have to take 10 min to read the prelude, I'll link you back to this page again.

Click here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879943

/Carl

Hagenblad screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 08:38 AM
Hagenblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

So, long story short:
I made up my mind, sold my XC4 530 and bought Bodinger's (Dakar 2011, 2012) 450 FE, sold all my basement clutter, designed and sold a whole bunch of t-shirts. I can ride, navigate, fix almost everything, and a whole bunch of people are expecting this to happen. No turning back, I'm going for it!

With me I have Mattias Karlsson, the owner of the Swedish service truck, and mechanic David Åkerskog. We have teamed up with Brittish Torque racing (Martin Wittering, Donna Grey and John Mitchinson) and are now trying to forfill our common Dakar-dream.

This thread is about the underdog, me and anyone like me, jumping into the unknown, -all in, and who doesn't like that?

/Carl
Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

Since I've made up my mind, I've pulled the bike apart and rebuilt it. This I've already done once, as mechanic for Ronnie Bodinger in the Dakar 2012. Husaberg is a dead brand now, but I know this bike inside out. I also Speced this motor, and two more with Husaberg factory team, so there's nothing on this bike I don'r know about. This fall David and I upgraded a lot of parts and serviced it completely. I'ts now white (zebra-stripes are coming) and works like a charm in the snow. I see no problem with the bike.

The only big issue is money for me. Usually, when competing I start off in the middle of the pack, and climb up the resultslist as the days go. After a few days I'm in the top fighting, and then the race is over. That's why I always wonder, what if the race is longer? Like in the Dakar... Anyway I don't have the money for this, but that is a lame excuse not to follow your dreams, so I made a plan. First of all I have the SOS-truck (Mattias Karlsson) for free, and also mechanic David. The bike I pretty much traded straight for my XC4, and I also have a spare FE450 and two friends are lending me their FE450's for the race. The KTM dealer here also lends med parts foir the race, so bike and parts are pretty much sorted.
I started a website, or actually I got another friend (Stefan Wikström) to start it, and I blog (DaCarl blog) in Swedish: hagenblad.se. Then started an English blog on my company facebook page facebook.com/raiddesigns, and a presentation as PDF to get sponsors, which in Sweden is almost as difficult as creating fusion power. Since I've already is a known offroad-racer in Sweden I designed a t-shirt, a really expenvice one, and THAT has sold really well. I will concentrate to get some companies with me during the spring. Know anyone?
The plan now is to make some adjustment to the bike, gain 5 kg, and try to find funds for this. Right know I'm half-way there.

In may the ASO opens the registration, and I will be the first one sending in the papers. What could possibly go wrong?

/Carl the Zebra Swed

Hagenblad screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 09:12 AM
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,205
Awesome, best of luck

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,684
In. . Where do we go from here?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

So, Me and Mattias the truck owner went down to Tunisia and the Tuareg rallye. Together with Torque racing we serviced bikes and riders all week, with plenty of different jobs on and around the bikes. In my opinion, this collaboration went great with no hickups and all smiling faces. Impressed by the team that took the service one notch over our usual Swedish standard. Until now we've worked without mechanics, and shared the work in the team. We have a system that takes care of noobs, the team manager is always a different person than last year, and ideas like that. As I understand this isn't anywhere else, but I created the concept for the Tuareg rallye 2010 and now We've done about 10 rallyes abroad using this concept. The idea is to teach everyone to do this, and the racing in Sweden is growing, creating business like this and good for the sport in my opinion.

Anyway, I had a blast and the week passed in a flash. We had time for photo shooots, filming with helmet cam and I even rode the last day when Swedish rider Stefan hurt himself the day before, and there was no fueling the last day (finished 3rd). You can read the team story that Jenny wrote in the Tuareg thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...Tuareg&page=17

Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

So, I got back to Sweden and build me a new Zebra bike. This is the spare part bike for the Dakar Zebra, a Husaberg 450 -12 and as the other one, speced by be and working like a charm. I spent about the same time on service, build and test run as on the rear tank, which was a pain in the ass to get right. I also helped my wife Anna, who also races the Hellas, to build her KTM 350 (without stripes). This weekend we had a shake-down in Kalmar, with motocross on saturday, bike-fiddling, beer, and a 200 km roadbook race on Sunday. Test was good, and only minor things to fix. Now the bikes and rallye boxes is in the Kalmar parc farme, waiting for transport to Greece. Looking forward to race :-)

So, see you at the start line.

/Carl the Zebra Swede

Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,024
This is going to be epic!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #9
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
This is going to be epic!

Jx
Almost an epic failure at yesterdays practice. Chased one of the young guns at my MX-track and crashed. Got dizzy and hurt my thumb, so I gave up for the day. Would be perfect to have a broken bone right about now... Right Keith?

Anyway, I'll show that punk after the Hellas, when my bones isn't worth more than the satisfaction. Until then I'll stick to my own pace. :-)
Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 659
subscribed
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Hagenblad OP
Adventurer

Hellas rally is in Greece right? Albania rally starts 4 weeks after. Maybe we can get this to work.... I know Henrik Rahm is up for it....

What do you think?

Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 659
go for it!
And then go for the second Lc4-50 Bike ;-)

Happe screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 06:17 PM Reason: feeling good
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
In! I hope it all comes together and you get to live your dream!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,742
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote