Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,193
Jr. at Southwick,

pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #707
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,174
great pics like always I love to see the greenery and nice damp dark soil...our choices here are hardpack and sand

I had an eventful weekend at the MX track ... sheared a foot peg off the back side of a step up that drops off quit abruptly and leads into what I would call a rolling double. Freaking bucking bronco status threw the double..no idea how I saved it. but I lived to tell the tale...and of course I will go back for more next weekend
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #708
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I had an eventful weekend at the MX track ... sheared a foot peg off the back side of a step up that drops off quit abruptly and leads into what I would call a rolling double. Freaking bucking bronco status threw the double..no idea how I saved it. but I lived to tell the tale...and of course I will go back for more next weekend

Thanks!
I had a similar experience Thursday night, When I changed my clip position on my needle jet I guess the slide spring / retainer didn't seat properly and although I rode last Sunday at Southwick and a couple moto's Thursday the throttle cable came out of the slide just as I approached the big table making me perform a perfect flying "W" and doing the same on the next double. Not pretty and it scared the $hit outta me....but I'll be doing it again as soon as possible!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #709
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,794
stuck wide open or shut off?
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #710
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
stuck wide open or shut off?

It shut off but I was on my way up the jump so I almost went over the bars and didn't know what was happening so I did the same over the next jump....very close to a yard sale (twice)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #711
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
It shut off but I was on my way up the jump so I almost went over the bars and didn't know what was happening so I did the same over the next jump....very close to a yard sale (twice)

having it shut off going up anything is baaaad
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #712
ADK
WANDRNG, WONDRNG...

Oddometer: 8,054
Laugh

JS7 WOULD HAVE CRASHED IN THOSE SITUATIONS.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #713
pvangel OP
Team AARP

content2adj (postpositive)1. mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are
assenting to or willing to accept circumstances, a proposed course of action, etc.

vb (tr) to make (oneself or another person) content or satisfied to content oneself with property

n peace of mind; mental or emotional satisfaction

I type this from my red leather recliner sipping a lightly oak flavored Chardonnay that was served to me by my lovely wife (Sister Mary Margaret) in her finest June Cleaver outfit, apron and all and am truly content.(none of the above is true except I do have a glass of cheap wine next to me)

I left work a little(a lot) early and headed to the super secret test facility for some moto fun. It rained on the way up but at this point I was committed so I continued North through the I95 stop and go traffic hoping for a good track, I arrived in a down pour and my riding partner for the day was under cover waiting out the storm.

It only rained hard for a few minutes and after it stopped we looked at the track over the fence and someone had groomed it earlier in the day to perfection, this would be like skiing in fresh powder with no tracks!

I dressed quickly and headed out to PERFECT soil, Inside outside it didn't matter the dirt was tacky and traction was everywhere and we were the only ones there. The only problem was that I kept hearing a clanking sound from the bike and couldn't figure out what was going on?

I headed back to the pits and put the bike on the stand and pushed pulled and grabbed every part of the bike until I saw it..... The preload nut on the shock had backed completely off so the spring was floating on the shock which also made my sag about 200 mm. I tightened it up and set my sag at 100 mm like it should be. MY MOJO WAS BACK! The bike turned again! OK so I'm an idiot but the preload nut must have been backing out little by little so I didn't notice it until it was so loose there was no preload but the bike handled great!

There was a whoop section with a big step up after it and i was able to wheelie through the whoops hitting the step up full bore and do my best Jim Pomeroy cross up (I still can't whip) land sideways in the corner exploding the berm (ok I cleared the step up and then turned but it felt like I exploded the berm).

I rode three or four more moto's all by myself and each one got better, a light rain kept the soil moist and traction everywhere and I felt like I jumped a little farther on each jump and dove a little deeper into each corner as well as got on the gas a little sooner. I looked up from the finish line straight to see the only other truck there pulling out the gate and the rain was coming down now so I rode the bike into the back of the trailer, done.

I opened a beer (for medicinal puposes only) and sat in a lawn chair in the back of my trailer watching it rain out the back door. Nobody else was there, just me in the back of my trailer with a cold beer in my hand.

I was content.

pvangel screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 03:13 PM
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #714
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

I hope to one day finish an enduro and have the same feeling... But for now I just try to catch my breath and not puke

Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #715
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I felt like a rock star everytime I went through the "Red Bull" arch.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #716
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Enduros dont have a red bull arch
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #717
Motorhead1812
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Cool thread and cool bikes

This one started out rougher than yours 2 years ago (1979 Magnum 400) . It has been done for over a year, while I try to find a way to make the ECEA and NEPG enduro schedule work with the vintage motocross schedule. Thanks for the updates, videos and commentary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfflite View Post
Picked up this '78 Maico 400 around Dec 2011. It had been sitting in a shed in AZ for the last 23 years. Getting close to finishing. Just a seat cover, fuel petcock, front brake cable detente and a couple seat bolts and she's done.

Soon to be FOR SALE

Motorhead1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #718
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Thanks Motorhead!

The Maicos are some of the coolest vintage bikes out there and I have to say I have never had the pleasure of riding one. A friend has been restoring one for the last year or so and am hoping to be able to take it for a spin.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #719
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Beer and Ibuprofen the vintage body elixir....another get off today, on the ribs that are still sore from a month ago, and wrist and knuckle and neck and head and back and road rash.
Southwick on Friday and Saturday! Hope I'm good by then!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #720
kenny61
Crazy Idiot