Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #76
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
Fixing the bee's nest today, removed the stock 20amp fuse and cut down the battery box so the relay for the fuse panel could fit there.The fuses are- main fuse for the bike, fuse for accessory plug (battery tender or air pump), heated jacket, heated grips and GPS. It's neater than sending a bunch of wires to the battery with fuses.

Had to make a bracket to get the fuse panel here. The only place I could find. There's just not many places on a DRZ to put this thing. Bad thing is the fuse box isn't water proof. It won't get to much water back there.

All buttoned up!!

Top Bracket, with low beam shut off switch, Jacket plug, heated grip switch ( red toggle), and grip indicator light.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 04:24 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #77
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 726
keep it coming. The prep work is half the fun and thanks for sharing with your excitement.

Also good choice on going smaller with the drz over the GS. I road about half of the OR and NV TAT sections last fall with my riding buddy and couldn't imagine riding this on a bigger bike.

I've read a lot of TAT ride reports and noticed some are bypassing the "fun" technical sections. In my mind this isn't riding the TAT as Sam intended. He really did put together an amazing route, and lesser variations do not provide the same level of experience. I have mucho respect for Sam and his route building skills after tasting many of the more technical sections last fall.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #78
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

sourjon (THANKS) sent me the Hancock/Tomici pass coordinates witch were removed. I'll have to make a judgement call on whether to attempt it or not, based on my confidence in ridding skills at that point. Ridding solo so don't want to take any unnecessary risk.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 01:11 PM
Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #79
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Was going to try and make the toggle switch water proof with shrink tubing but it didn't have enough threads to grab onto. Oh well just put a little grease underneath the tubing and hope for the best. Tubing isn't shrunk yet, it is in the next pict.

Mounting the Spot and roll chart holder, made it out of some scrap AL angle and a long threaded coupler for the roll chart holder, an allen bolt with a custom made bracket for the Spot. Also found a small plug for the jacket liner outlet.

Here's everything all mounted up

Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #80
dsbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wink Led

You might check Radio Shack if you want more indication options I haven't checked lately but they used to have some really neat three wire led's that would solve your problem. Ground and 1 hot = red, Ground and other hot = Green , Ground with both other wires hot = orange. I did some cool stuff using them in a control box for hydraulics on my sons truck several years ago. Radio shack also has/had some very small 12v (10 amp) relays suitable to be wired direct or soldered into small hobby board. (Edit) I just checked Radio Shack site and could no longer find the three color LED I used sorry if I misled anyone but a little serching might still turn something like what I used if you are interested.

dsbiker screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 07:40 PM Reason: More Info
dsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #81
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

yeah, got most of my electric stuff from All Electronics, $7 s&h and that offset what Radio Shack was charging!!! Example over $6.50 for a relay at the Shack of $2.50 at All Electronics.

, they had the two colored led's but not 12 volt. I didn't want to get into the complication of stepping down the voltage, just to much stuff to mess with, rather keep wiring simple. The one yellow, while not absolutely necessary as it's easy to feel when the grips are on!

Only a few things left and the bike will be ready. Wondering if I should add a volt meter to the bike....possibly running heated gear, and not sure about the drain on the tiny tiny battery???

Available watts from battery 150 watts.

Gerbings Jacket line max draw 77watts, 6.4 amps.
Grips high 35 watts, 3.4 amps

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 02:44 PM
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #82
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Good news/ bad news- 1st the good news-got he SS brake line,the swing arm bearing and HD inner-tubes.

The bad news is that finals are Tuesday, and Sat/Sunday I'll have to study, grrrrr, not time for wrenching!!! Maybe I'll take a break and get the swing arm on.

Getting all so close to finishing, ordered a little LCD volt meter, because I need to know if the stator is doing it's job when running the heated jacket liner.

Can't wait to ride this thing again, to check out the position of the roll chart/ spot mount, heated grip function, and see how much power has been lost conversion from the FCR 39mm carb tot he sock BSR 36 carb. Hopefully an increase in mileage will make op for the HP loss!!!!????

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 06:29 PM
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #83
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Swing arm bearings are in place, checked the rear inner tube and it was a HD tube.

Problem w/ the heated grips and AL bars!!!! AL absorbs too much heat and the grips are just about useless

Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #84
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Swing arm bearings are in place, checked the rear inner tube and it was a HD tube.

Problem w/ the heated grips and AL bars!!!! AL absorbs too much heat and the grips are just about useless
I have heard of people putting heat shrink between the handlebar and the heated grip which would isolate the heater from the AL. You can get some pretty good sized heat shrink at Harbor Freight.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #85
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:

Wow, has the DRZ been on that nifty portable TRAIL STAND the entire time? Where did you get that? Looks like it could come in handy! (nudge nudge, wink wink)

[/IMG]
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 04:47 AM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #86
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Wow, has the DRZ been on that nifty portable TRAIL STAND the entire time? Where did you get that? Looks like it could come in handy! (nudge nudge, wink wink)

[/IMG]
Why yes it is...... It had been propping the bike up for 16 days, maybe more while I was waiting on the swing arm bearing to arrive. Now for the real story...It was sitting outside in three different storms, and two of which were tornado watches, and each morning when checking on it...there she stood just the way I left it the previous night. How's that for an endorsement, no rust showing up during that time either!!!! Nice size and light weight!! Nifty contraption.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #87
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Installed Symtec grip heaters, which was a complete waste of MONEY, removed them and will check out other options. May end up using my pair of gerbing's gloves, but I loose some mobility with them as the insulation is a little thick and there is a loss of dexterity.

Checked stock carburetor out today and the issues which were present before are no longer present. The only change was to a 155 main jet. Not as strong as the FCR, but hopefully it will return good mileage figures?

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 09:55 AM
Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 AM   #88
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Installed Symtec grip heaters, which was a complete waste of MONEY, removed them and will check out other options. May end up using my pair of gerbing's gloves, but I loose some mobility with them as the insulation is a little thick.

I had the same issues, I went with the Powerlet heated glove liners, they are quite thin and actually fit under my regular gloves, I was surprised. And they are easy to pack, I just leave them in the pockets of my heated liner or riding jacket.
(I posted gerbings first but then I was looking at the pic and they have a wire hanging off them and mine don't. The Powerlet ones have the socket securely attached to the wrist wrap, this is much better for use and packing and durability) you definitely need to have a controller, a dual one for jacket and gloves is what you want so you can use both if you want.
http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-prod...ing/HEATCLTHNG
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 10:47 AM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #89
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

The carb which came w/ the bike had some jetting issues, needle at 4th from top clip position, w 150, 155 and 160 mains the bike would cut out at a constant 55-70 mph ( depending on the jet ) I assume it was needle related as the other carb set up similarly preformed 100% better, needle setting and profile being the main difference.

Bought a used carb off ebay, for a pretty good price, it came w/ a Dyna Jet needle, 160 MJ, 22.5 PJ, 2.5 SJ, needle in 2nd from top. The needle has a step in it which the other carb didn't. The carb which was put in has noticeably more power and a short run of one gallon of gas gave a return of 47 mpg instead of 42 mpg ( a complete tank). Still need to run a full tank of gas through to get a more accurate MPG figures. I'm hoping to get 200 miles per tank. The IMS tank holds just over 4 gallons of fuel. NO reason not to expect 55 mpg though, which will give 220 miles/ tank.

The 39 mm FCR carb gave very nice power on tap and quick throttle response, but only 42mpg and that's being easy on the throttle. For me the power isn't worth sacrificing economy. It'll be offered for sale after more test and time on the stock carb. The Dyna jet carb, is a good compromise. Decent power and what looks to be decent MPG. More test to follow.

Stainless brake line went on w/o a hitch. I'm getting quite a bit better in reverse bleeding brakes. What I do is use air pressure to force brake fluid through the bleed nipple up to the MS, took about 20 minutes to swap out the line and bleed. The brake line will be covered w/ a fuel line to protect it.

Only a couple of things left on the bike prep list- volt meter, install and lock tight 13t counter shaft sprocket, manual timing chain tensioner.

Jury's still out on the heated grip issue, might go w/ taking heated gloves, they are just so darn bulky.

Once the prep work is done, it'll be time to concentrate on tools and spares. I've assembled most all of them, but need to post here plus, the ridding gear, camping and cook gear.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 06:49 PM
Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #90
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

This is what I'll be looking at for 20 plus days. WOW, that's a lot of stuff, really don't like all the clutter!!! The roll chart might be removed and put in the saddle bag. It's only for a back up just in case the GPS dies. Everything is in sight nothing blocked. The spot could be put in the tank bag??