User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #106
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
One Less Harley....

Oh, man..I must admit that I didn't read your postings from page by page until now...sorry...so saw that you gave your GS a break for a DRZ(good choice). I likewise did want to do the TAT last year with a few guys and my DRZ400s but a back problem made me cancel everything. Sold the DRZ to another prospective TAT'er from Alabama. Now my back is a-OK...and still wanna do the 2011 TAT.. thus the big brother Hack .

2007 DRZ400s TAT ready in 2010...

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #107
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
MY EYES...MY EYES...

Dang, you've got a red/yellow problem!!!! I had bought a rotopax 1.25 gal for water, but changed my mind and opted for a 1 gal MSR Dromerdary bladder. Compact, plus less weight, w/ the rotopax the plastic and mounts weigh a substantial amount. The bladder is a better choice.
Pretty soon there will be post on what gear is being packed along. Gonna be interesting figuring out what is really needed!!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #108
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Gonna be interesting figuring out what is really needed!!!!
Just jettison what isn't needed along the route.

I plan on packing as lightly as possible.

Mildly concerned about the weather / passes and whatnot. No big deal to bypass stuff, but it make sthe trip seem lass successful...
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #109
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

The ole Miss may create problems, even in late June. yeah, I'm hoping not to bypass to much. Guess if I do that'll be a reason to do it again!!!!

Worked on getting the little volt meter connected. Nice little thing, the only bad part is the wires are such a small gauge and might break easily. Purchased from Transcat for $36. Might not be completely water proof.For mounting the gauge I made a cardboard template and checked for fit on the bar risers, then cut and bent it from some stainless scrap. Wired it into a switched grey wire behind the headlight.

This is the best mounting location dash real estate is becoming scarce. W/o the roll chart holder it would fit right between the handle bar bolts. Nice and sensitive to voltage change. The low beam take 0.5 volts. heated grips 0.3 on low and 0.4 on high.

plus fitted heated grips a couple of days ago. I just don't like how hard the grips are. Heat output seems good though.

A side note, as far as packing it will be good to ship the used maps home, plus any unneeded equipment. Still need to get a game plan on how much food to take along, kind of guessing 2-3 days worth, breakfast and dinner. Kind of figure lunch will be what ever pops up around noon, give or take 2 hours....

One Less Harley screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 07:52 PM
Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #110
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

My new volt meter, while very nice in the right circumstances and location, bit the dust after one crash........well that didn't last long!!

So went with a single LED volt indicator light

Old 05-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #111
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
My new volt meter, while very nice in the right circumstances and location, bit the dust after one crash........well that didn't last long!!

So went with a single LED volt indicator light
I've had one of those for about five years and it has been bulletproof, waterproof and crashproof. Simple and it just works.

John
Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #112
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Put some good road miles on the DRZ going tot he Burksville European Rally. First real test of the original carb, since pulling off the FCR carb. The FCR while a great carb for power and awesome throttle response was more than I needed, especial my ridding "style."

The FRC only gave 42 mpg, which is just terrible!!! This was being easy on the throttle.

With the stock carb and dyna jet (clip 2nd from top), 160 MJ and 25 ( I think) PJ, the throttle response is quick enough for me. Checked mileage figures and got 55 (back roads and gravel) and 52mpg (back roads @ about 65mph). This puts the range safely at 200 miles/ tank and up to 220 miles.

BTW- the 39 mm FCR is for sale, PM me if interested.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #113
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
One Less Harley said:
Quote:
MY EYES...MY EYES...
What was that saying?...Loud Bikes Save Lives!
I wish it was true!... I wear a dayglow yellow jacket on my V-Strom and have still had people pull out in front of me! (Here's Your Sign!!)

Sometimes LOUD is a Color, but I have found that it helps if you
DRIVE like you're invisible too!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV

Tall Mike screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 01:19 PM
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #114
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I like the LED volt meter idiot light, green is good, flashing green is too good i.e. over charging. If amber then probably running too much electrics so that means to turn some things off, solid red or flashing red means under 12 volts, or Houston we have a problem!!!

I drilled out the back side of the threads for the accessory mount, to insert the Led into the clamp. A nice neat location.

Note this was later changed to a volt meter as the light had me guessing to the charging of the battery.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 10:44 AM
Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #115
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

One more upgrade to the bike, well two as the counter shaft sprocket still needs to have lock tight added.

Not packing the tent poles and tent together will allow me to pack the tent in a compression bag for smaller pack size and possibly fit inside one of the saddle bags.

The rear duffel bag will hold the First Gear Jacket and liner, net book, primus stove and cook gear. I was worried about putting the stove and net book in the side bags because of crashing. Hoping to get the sleeping bag in the saddle bags, but not sure of the available space.

Clothing list-
1-pair zip off pants
1pr swim trunks
3prs underwear
3prs socks
2prs light weight shirts, one long sleeve.
1- long under wear top and bottom
1pr- eel skin gloves
rain hat
First gear Kilimanjaro jacket less armor,w/ fleece liner
Darien pants (hip armor only)
661 pressure suit.
Asterick Knee Braces (probably save my knee on one crash, offers good support, little awkward)
Arai XD3
Aero Stitch Combat Boots
bandanna

Tools-
misc nuts and bolts, extra chain length
tool kit- w/ test light, small hammer, sockets, wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, 2 punches, one chisel, adj wrench, 30mm socket, chain tool
Gerber multi tool
Enduro trail stand (bike prop for flats)
Sven 15" saw
wire and bailing wire
rope
epoxy
tire repair kit,small hand pump, tire levers, two HD tubes,
reusable stainless oil filter and gaskets, air filter oil, 8 OZ engine oil, chain lube, electrical tape, wire ties.
extra coil, spark plug, foot shifter and foot brake lever.
lighter.
countershaft sprocket seal, spacer and o-ring

Electrics-
Netbook, Cannon digital camera, headlight(flashlight) ER6I ear phones, Spot, 2 scan disc (GPS coordinates), electric adapters for cell phone, AA battery charger and adapters to charge from bike, weather radio, Zumo 550.

Sundry items,roll charts/ maps Advil, hydrocodone (just in case), ace bandage, band aids, surgical tape. Sunglasses, reading glasses, glasses, lots of ear plugs, mole skin for blisters.

Camel Back, MSR Dromedary Bladder 2L.

Cooking gear- still working on it
Primus stove, and 1 butane can (liquid white gas better for cool temps)
utensils, lighter.

BA air mattress, Tent Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, Old North Face down sleeping bag 30 degree( may try a smaller bag) camp rite stool.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 03:17 PM
Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #116
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
I slip my tire irons inside a portion of an old cut off bicycle tube and fold the ends of the bicycle tube over to prevent the ends from wearing a hole in my bags or damaging other gear. Got the old bicycle tube free for asking from a bicycle shop.

Tents can be wet if you pack up early in the a.m. so I usually try to keep it separate from the gear I want to keep dry.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #117
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,333
I would bring along some bandannas, they are handy for quite a few things.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #118
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
I slip my tire irons inside a portion of an old cut off bicycle tube and fold the ends of the bicycle tube over to prevent the ends from wearing a hole in my bags or damaging other gear. Got the old bicycle tube free for asking from a bicycle shop.

Tents can be wet if you pack up early in the a.m. so I usually try to keep it separate from the gear I want to keep dry.

I use bike tubes quite ofen, or motorcycle tubes. I've been thinking of using a mesh bag for the wet tent and strapping it to the duffel, that way it can dry out.

plus bandanas would be good for my neck, to keep the sun off.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #119
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,333
I started wearing a coolmax buff under my helmet. They are very comfortable and can be worn a myriad of ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TCn...eature=related
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #120
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 3,998
I think you'll be happy with the Big Agnes. It's a little overkill for motorcycle camping but if you do any hiking you'll realize what that extra money was spent on--weight savings.

I've found pillows have more to do with comfortable sleeping than almost anything else. If I can't get my head in a good position or I don't have a good knee pillow, I won't sleep well. Thermarest makes some pack pillows that are very good. Also, they make a stuff sack that has a fuzzy exterior. I love that thing. I keep all the clothes I'm not wearing in it and it makes a great pillow. Also, Tylenol PM can be a lifesaver when you're sore and can't sleep. It's fine to take it even if you've been drinking.

On drying things: I have a nylon mesh stuff sack that I use for that. Put your tent or wet clothes in there, strap it on top with a bungee, and ride. Anything that's not made out of cotton will be dry in no-time.

A general camping tip: be obsessive about NOT putting anything on the ground. It'll disappear and you won't remember it until you're in the next state. I keep the lids open on the Jesses and use them for catch-alls. You might want to figure out a system for organizing things like that.

Leave room somewhere to quickly stash beer. I try to keep my tank bag close to empty at all times for quick food/booze storage.

Don't go in the woods without toilet paper, hand sanitizer and water.

You can't have enough lighters and small flashlights. Put a few in the tank bag, the tool bag, the jacket...

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 02:55 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote