User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
plugeye OP
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,908
Supertrapp question

this muffler has no header pipe clamp. anyone have a clue how to seal it?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 932
just a guess but I'd think some kind of heat resistant o-ring.
pigjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
plugeye OP
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,908

not sure its a supertrapp, can anyone ID the manufacturer?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,583
I will guess it's a White Brothers. Back in the day a lot of pipe manufacturers used the Super Trapp disc system on their pipes.

Here's one on a XR600 I recently built and sold. I painted it black. It was stainless steel.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
UncleRandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
A good exhaust shop should be able to make you a slip on, expanded and slotted spacer out of raw pipe. And, NAPA would probably have a donut that would fit within to seal the deal as well as a HD stainless clamp to tie it together.
UncleRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
pigjockey
Hognuts

Geepers now that I look at your pipe again I'm thinking that the pipe is extra heavy duty flanged and the other pipe that inserts in it probably is a friction fit and held together with a slit metal o-ring.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,048
I have two of those pipes, one on my KLX650 which was branded as a BajaDesigns and another I just bought for my KLX250 which has the Pro Circuit tag welded on. They are virtually identical reverse cone megaphones with Supertrapp glass packed ends on them.

The KLX650 had the head pipe slip in the end of the tail megaphone, which was a snug fit. At this point I have a head pipe that slips over the pipe for the KLX250 not sure how it will work. I don't do anything on the 650, it just works. I may use some RTV on the 250 if needed and see if it works.

Here is a shot of the 650 pipe

I bought the 250 pipe because of how darn good this pipe worked on the 650. Been running it for 13 years now. This was after I had it recoated with ceramic coating. Seems Jet Hot screwed up cleaning the pipe and it rusted under the coating on the megaphone. I had Aesthetic Finishers in Piqua OH do it the second time. Give them a yell if you decide to have your pipe coated.

If your head pipe ID slips into the pipe, just do it. If it matches that of the megaphone and won't slide in I'd get a sleeve to fit the megaphone, then clamp it on with a stainless band clamp (what I plan do do with the 250).

The reverse cone megaphone exhausts are the best performing over all and aren't cheap to make, you have a good pipe there if it fits your bike. I paid $155 for the used Pro Circuit for my 250 based on my experience with the 650. I run 12 discs in the 650, seems a bit loud to me, but my neighbors and friends say it's fine. It's not obnoxious to me so I run it. I'm thinking if the 650 needed 12 I should be able to get away with 6 or 8 in the 250, but we shall see.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
pigjockey
Hognuts

How do those super trap disk work anyway? does the vibes from the exhaust pass threw the traps and the disc vibe at different freq. and cancel the vibes of the ones next to it? just wondering thanks.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
UncleRandy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjockey View Post
How do those super trap disk work anyway? does the vibes from the exhaust pass threw the traps and the disc vibe at different freq. and cancel the vibes of the ones next to it? just wondering thanks.
Honestly, I think it's more of a gimmick than anything else. There is some increase/decrease in noise levels as well as back pressure, depending on how many discs are used. I wouldn't believe any claims though of increased or decreased performance. I just left them all in on my Honda XL500, sounded really great, but a little loud after a long day of riding.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

The disks make the muffler adjustable in sound and in flow, plus I believe it also functions as a spark arrestor.

Muffling is pretty straight forward. The discs are bent in such a fashion that there is flow allowed radially through them - as long as you don't overtighten the bolts like a ham fisted idiot. More discs more flow - more noise. Less discs less flow - less noise. It actually has a bit of the baffling style that automobile muffler makers use, like Flowmaster and Magnaflow, among others. Forcing directional change of the exhaust provides a silencing effect. If you know you need less noise you run less discs. If you took the time to do some trials you could figure out exactly how many you need for best performance.

I have 12 discs in my KLX650 exhaust with a blocked end cover (flat trackers and other racers may use an open end, which will increase noise significantly). As I said, my one neighbor whose bedroom was on the alley where I'd start up and leave for work, said it wasn't too loud as did my wife (who wouldn't hesitate to tell me if it was) and others. A friend ran a set of pipes on his 86 VFR, running 8 discs per side and it was really decent sounding - like a small block Chevy and not obnoxiously loud.

I just got the pipe for the 250 and plan to try 8 discs to start. I figure even at 8000-9000 rpm it shouldn't be pushing out more than the 650 at 5000-6000 rpm. We shall see.

For the reason that I can adjust the sound if necessary, the Supertrapp makes for a nice set up. No need to sell it off if it's too loud - pull a few discs.

As for performance, the number of discs certainly WILL make a difference. They control the flow of exhaust, which affects performance. Go stick a potato in your exhaust and see what it does - if you were foolish enough to run 1 disc in a Supertrapp that would be comparable. Run a straight exhaust and you have a Supertrapp with 12-18 discs and the open end caps - max flow - but actually some muffling still due to some effects from the discs.

Mark - klx678
Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
UncleRandy
Adventurer

"As for performance, the number of discs certainly WILL make a difference. They control the flow of exhaust, which affects performance. Go stick a potato in your exhaust and see what it does - if you were foolish enough to run 1 disc in a Supertrapp that would be comparable. Run a straight exhaust and you have a Supertrapp with 12-18 discs and the open end caps - max flow - but actually some muffling still due to some effects from the discs."

The number of discs will make a difference, but you may not be able to tell on a single cylinder XL500-unless it's on a dyno. I ran 8 of 12 on my XL500 for over 7,000 miles on a muffler just like yours and found it to be nearly perfect. Of course blocking the entirety of the exhaust would result in a difference- If you used "waffle cut" potatoes - you might be fine.....
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRandy View Post
"As for performance, the number of discs certainly WILL make a difference. They control the flow of exhaust, which affects performance. Go stick a potato in your exhaust and see what it does - if you were foolish enough to run 1 disc in a Supertrapp that would be comparable. Run a straight exhaust and you have a Supertrapp with 12-18 discs and the open end caps - max flow - but actually some muffling still due to some effects from the discs."

The number of discs will make a difference, but you may not be able to tell on a single cylinder XL500-unless it's on a dyno. I ran 8 of 12 on my XL500 for over 7,000 miles on a muffler just like yours and found it to be nearly perfect. Of course blocking the entirety of the exhaust would result in a difference- If you used "waffle cut" potatoes - you might be fine.....
I've often wondered if I could cut back a few discs to reduce the noise on the 650, but since everyone said "no problem" I didn't.

I will on the 250 just to try to have as much "stealth mode" as possible with the added performance from the pipel.

I think the trick is the waffle cut where the pattern turns 90 side to side, little bleed off holes...

Mark - klx678
Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjockey View Post
The system actually works quite well if you match the disc number to the application. The disc design has been used for years in racing applications from circle track cars to baja racing. Many people get the impression that those tiny slots in the disc spacing don't let the exhaust flow in a performance application. Not true. They also provide a forestry approved spark arrestor with those discs in most applications without an internal screen. I'd say the reason you've seen them drop off the radar a bit for motorcycles is the noise factor. They're often a little louder than many of the systems available now that probably produce the same performance results...at least with the right number of discs.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
250bultaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
I've often wondered if I could cut back a few discs to reduce the noise on the 650, but since everyone said "no problem" I didn't.

I will on the 250 just to try to have as much "stealth mode" as possible with the added performance from the pipel.

I think the trick is the waffle cut where the pattern turns 90 side to side, little bleed off holes...
The people who said "no problem" didn't have to ride behind you for 3 or 4 hours!
Why do you think I always want to lead?
250bultaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250bultaco View Post
The people who said "no problem" didn't have to ride behind you for 3 or 4 hours!
Why do you think I always want to lead?

All the other guys make me lead though, and have never said anything about the noise. You just ride too close...

I have a box of 200 ear plugs I got from Fastenal, want some? I'll bring some next time.

Mark - klx678