Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #241
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflow View Post
I like the trimmed fenders. How much did you guys actually remove?

I think mine was right at 2"

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #242
Heavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I think mine was right at 2"
Judging from the pictures, if his was right at 2", I'd say mine was a little more.

Didn't measure mine. Laid out some masking tape, drew up a cut line, to make sure it was symmetrical, and hacked away.

You can see from side views that mine doesn't appear to have as much down-turn, so I assume I cut it further back.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #243
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
I could feel a slight wobble around 70mph. Going to try a different front fender soon to see if that helps.
Noticed the left RoboBracket was slightly off, casing that side of the shield to cock slightly lower then the right. I adjusted it to match the right, high speed weave disappeared.

Bout to go trim my front fender anyway...
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #244
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Just Bought a TM-40!!!!!!!! Cant wait to get it on! (and some new cush drives lol)
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #245
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Took my dr out for another high speed run today to check out that vib over 80. I got it to about 90, which is the top speed WOT on my vapor. I noticed that the tank wobbles, at most, 1/2 inch left and right. If I get off the throttle and pull the clutch at that speed, the tank stops. So the engine is causing the vibes, as far as I can find. I've got 16/46 gearing, and I will probably lower that to 16/42 and 14/42 if I go off road.

Anything I can do to stop that wiggle? I mean I never get up to those speeds, so I'm not really worried. The tank was at 3/4 full.
I don't have a DR650 yet (plan to change that next year), but FWIW have some experience with 14/42 gearing on my Ducati and learned the hard way that it is a bad ratio as it is 1:3 non-hunting and this caused noise, vibration, and rapid wear on my bike, especially with a 102 link chain (also a multiple of 3) I changed it to 15/44/104 and all is well. You can check out alternate gearing setups easily at http://www.gearingcommander.com/ here are the repeat contact numbers for the three combinations I tried on my bike, 15/42/102, 14/42/102, and 15/44/104.....small changes can make a big difference also a photo of the 14t CS sprocket showing uneven wear

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #246
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
I don't have a DR650 yet (plan to change that next year), but FWIW have some experience with 14/42 gearing on my Ducati and learned the hard way that it is a bad ratio as it is 1:3 non-hunting and this caused noise, vibration, and rapid wear on my bike, especially with a 102 link chain (also a multiple of 3) I changed it to 15/44/104 and all is well. You can check out alternate gearing setups easily at http://www.gearingcommander.com/ here are the repeat contact numbers for the three combinations I tried on my bike, 15/42/102, 14/42/102, and 15/44/104.....small changes can make a big difference also a photo of the 14t CS sprocket showing uneven wear
I've seen this theory of Odd vs. Even non matching sprocket numbers argued both ways on various forums over the years.

Lots of variables can enter in to mess this up. Many DR650 riders mix and match sprockets at random ... changing especially front sprockets more than rear. Many run a larger (45T) than stock rear sprocket, then change between 14T, 15T and 16T to suit riding conditions.

I run stock gearing on my DR but always carry a 14T on board. (stock gearing on DR650 is 15T/42T)

I haven't heard an overwhelming consensus stating that things wear out more quickly or that extra vibration is evident with "mis-matched" sprocket sizes. Nor have I seem overwhelming evidence showing Odd or un even sprocket wear due to mis matching. I got 12K miles on my 1st OEM Suzuki chain, and 24,000 miles on my 2nd chain. (DID X ring) But I swap in a new front sprocket about every 10K miles.

Many times riders have problems due to OTHER factors:
1. Cheap, ill fitting or worn out sprockets. Many don't know what to look for in a worn sprocket. Best to compare with a new sprocket.
2. Cheap, quick wearing or worn out chains. Cheap chains are no bargain.
3. Out of adjustment chain. Very common, most run too tight.
4. Out of alignment chain.
5. Lack of oil or maintenance of chain/sprockets.

All these elements will affect the feel of the bike and chain/sprocket life.

And remember, the stock DR650 chain is 110 links and can easily use 112 links if desired. I've switched back and forth a few times from the stock 15T front sprocket to a 14T sprocket. No problems or noticeable change in wear ... no change in vibration level ... just slightly lower gearing, useful off road.

The DR650 is pretty sensitive to a worn sprocket or chain. Most riders ... if awake ... can feel this ... but it can come on slowly, so some miss it. Many riders report imagining all sorts of nightmare scenarios that could be "wrong" with their motor/trans or whatever ... when all that is the matter is a worn out sprocket or chain. Very common story over on the BIG DR thread.

In fact, I just ran into this myself in the middle of a little Baja ride. I just rode 4000 miles in just under 3 weeks. In La Paz (2000 miles into trip) I began to notice some "roughness" under acceleration. It felt very much like the famous "Clutch Chudder" from the early Suzuki V-Strom clutch basket. Oiling made it go away so I knew it was NOT a clutch basket issue ... but it returned in a couple hundred miles.

I was approaching 8,000 miles on my new chain and sprocket set. I am confident it's in need of a new front sprocket. Will report back when I get round to doing the work. I only use OEM Suzuki sprockets and DID 525 VM-2 X-ring chain.

Besides the obvious "hooking" of the sprocket on the right ... can you see what else is "wrong" with the sprocket on the right? The one on the left has about 3000 miles on it.
The one on the right, about 10K miles, IIRC.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #247
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've seen this theory of Odd vs. Even non matching sprocket numbers argued both ways on various forums over the years.

Lots of variables can enter in to mess this up. Many DR650 riders mix and match sprockets at random ... changing especially front sprockets more than rear. Many run a larger (45T) than stock rear sprocket, then change between 14T, 15T and 16T to suit riding conditions.

I run stock gearing on my DR but always carry a 14T on board. (stock gearing on DR650 is 15T/42T)

I haven't heard an overwhelming consensus stating that things wear out more quickly or that extra vibration is evident with "mis-matched" sprocket sizes. Nor have I seem overwhelming evidence showing Odd or un even sprocket wear due to mis matching. I got 12K miles on my 1st OEM Suzuki chain, and 24,000 miles on my 2nd chain. (DID X ring) But I swap in a new front sprocket about every 10K miles.

Many times riders have problems due to OTHER factors:
1. Cheap, ill fitting or worn out sprockets. Many don't know what to look for in a worn sprocket. Best to compare with a new sprocket.
2. Cheap, quick wearing or worn out chains. Cheap chains are no bargain.
3. Out of adjustment chain. Very common, most run too tight.
4. Out of alignment chain.
5. Lack of oil or maintenance of chain/sprockets.

All these elements will affect the feel of the bike and chain/sprocket life.

And remember, the stock DR650 chain is 110 links and can easily use 112 links if desired. I've switched back and forth a few times from the stock 15T front sprocket to a 14T sprocket. No problems or noticeable change in wear ... no change in vibration level ... just slightly lower gearing, useful off road.

The DR650 is pretty sensitive to a worn sprocket or chain. Most riders ... if awake ... can feel this ... but it can come on slowly, so some miss it. Many riders report imagining all sorts of nightmare scenarios that could be "wrong" with their motor/trans or whatever ... when all that is the matter is a worn out sprocket or chain. Very common story over on the BIG DR thread.

In fact, I just ran into this myself in the middle of a little Baja ride. I just rode 4000 miles in just under 3 weeks. In La Paz (2000 miles into trip) I began to notice some "roughness" under acceleration. It felt very much like the famous "Clutch Chudder" from the early Suzuki V-Strom clutch basket. Oiling made it go away so I knew it was NOT a clutch basket issue ... but it returned in a couple hundred miles.

I was approaching 8,000 miles on my new chain and sprocket set. I am confident it's in need of a new front sprocket. Will report back when I get round to doing the work. I only use OEM Suzuki sprockets and DID 525 VM-2 X-ring chain.

Besides the obvious "hooking" of the sprocket on the right ... can you see what else is "wrong" with the sprocket on the right? The one on the left has about 3000 miles on it.
It's got a lot of side wear?

What do I win?
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #248
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
I think it might be time for new sprockets, but how does one know when the chain is toast?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #249
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
I think it might be time for new sprockets, but how does one know when the chain is toast?
You're going to get a differing opinion on this matter but if you're going to replace the sprockets....might as well replace the chain as well. Replace everything in sets IMO....
Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #250
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

I was going to answer this one but decided I ain't tellin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B. View Post

What do I win?
You don't win anything. Why is there a lot of side wear?

Quote:
I kept a careful watch on my chain and lubed it after every ride (125-175 miles avg). After one ride the chain was looser than usual, by quite a bit, so I adjusted it. After the next 200 mile ride it was looser by quite a bit, again. Time for a new chain, when they go, they go in a hurry. This was at 22,000 easy miles, too much pavement , not enough dirt , no mud and no sand.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #251
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
You can put some tension on the lower run of the chain then see if it will lift off the rear spocket.
For the stock chain you would want a measurement of under 319.4 mm / 12.6 inches over 21 pins (20 pitches)

Taking for granted it had been looked after and the sprocket / chain wear was fairly even.
One reason using clips makes things easy.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #252
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B. View Post
What do I win?
Side wear, yes, but also notice the different wear between teeth and the shape of the curve between teeth. You can't see it, but worn sprockets get really sharp edges on the teeth as well. All signs of wear and all things that tend to wear out a chain early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I kept a careful watch on my chain and lubed it after every ride (125-175 miles avg). After one ride the chain was looser than usual, by quite a bit, so I adjusted it. After the next 200 mile ride it was looser by quite a bit, again. Time for a new chain, when they go, they go in a hurry. This was at 22,000 easy miles, too much pavement , not enough dirt , no mud and no sand.
So true. When your chain requires adjustments ... beginning of the end for your chain for sure. Good X rings give you a bit more time, standard grade O ring, less time.

Other tip offs on chain wear are:
1. Kinks. When your chain shows kinks that don't go away with a good cleaning or oiling, indicates some wear, but not the end, just a "tell-tale".

2. As ADV-8 says, if you can pull the chain off the rear sprocket at the 3 '0-clock position while chain is held snug ... more than about 1/4 inch, another sign of wear.

3. As mentioned ... if your chain needs multiple adjustments within just a few hundred miles, then it's most likely done ... or very near. Pay attention to this!

I swap out the front sprockets on most of my bikes at around 10K miles. This seems to help extend chain life, or at least on the bikes I've done this on over the last 150,000 miles: '00 VFR800, '02 V-Strom, '05 DR650, '06 V-Strom, '06 DR650, '07 1050 Tiger, plus various dirt bikes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #253
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
use this tool too for proper chain alignment to prevent wear from that.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0048
on my bike the left and right wheel adjusters are NOT the same when properly aligned. they are 1 off. if i just matched them i would be getting chain wear from a mis-aligned chain to sprocket. i marked each of the proper mounting points on the adjusters w/ a black permamant marker so i can get right back if the rear tire comes off.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #254
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Use this tool too for proper chain alignment to prevent wear from that.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0048
On my bike the left and right wheel adjusters are NOT the same when properly aligned. They are 1 off. if i just matched them I would be getting chain wear from a mis-aligned chain to sprocket. I marked each of the proper mounting points on the adjusters w/ a black permamant marker so i can get right back if the rear tire comes off.
And the winner is............... 100% correct.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #255
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
15% seat concepts black friday sale going on till sat:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744218
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717